Bands that took a long time to grow on you

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited July 2007 in Other Music
It took me a couple of years to get into the Velvets as well. It wasn't until I heard "Sweet Jane", that I once again, "got it". Now, I own everything by the Velvets. I still pull out "Metal Machine Music" to torture my pop-loving girlfriend now and then.

So I'm curious if there are others who have had those wonderful epiphanies, where indifference becomes obsession.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chaos345chaos345 Posts: 30
    Backstreet Boys.
    ----
    I like Pearl Jam.
    www.myspace.com/emosadcry
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The White Stripes
    Radiohead
    Nine Inch Nails
    Nirvana
    Pink Floyd

I consider all these bands except Radiohead in my top 10 now. Go figure.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    wilco
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    It took me a while to get into Sonic Youth. When I first heard them I didn't think they were anything that great and really couldn't decipher why a lot of the bands I liked looked to them as an influence. Then, the first time I heard Goo in it's entirety, it hit me and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Floyd
    Sonic Youth
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Koenjihyakkei

Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Art Brut

I used to cringe when my husband would put on "bang bang rock & roll" and then one day I realized I loved it and started listening to it all the time on my ipod.
  • Art Brut

I used to cringe when my husband would put on "bang bang rock & roll" and then one day I realized I loved it and started listening to it all the time on my ipod.
    I've never heard them but I LOVE the name of that album.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I've never heard them but I LOVE the name of that album.

yeah, it's a good one. you should check them out. they're definitely not for everyone, but that record is so much fun.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Band of Horses and MMJ took me more than a few repeated listens over a long span of a couple of months to get into, but now they are two of my favorites.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Pearl Jam strangely. Now they're my favorite.
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Pavement, those lyrics are downright brutal at first to listen to. But now it's all good.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Get_Right wrote:
    wilco

i second this....took me years. many years.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Most punk rock... Rancid, Sex Pistols, X, Black Flag...
  • CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    Pink Floyd & Radiohead. Took a while to totally get it, but now they are awesome :)
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Soundgarden - Smashing Pumpkins - Kyuss - Pink Floyd - White STripes
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    no bands took me a long time to get into....

but when i bought yield it was cause everybody said it was amazing and i already loved the other pj records i had... and the first time i listened to it im like ok... are there any good songs besides brain of j and do the evolution?

it took me a few listens but now i love it
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I'd have to say Pearl Jam :o

Brother brought VS. in the house, I listened but not really. Then bought Yield the day it came out. I liked it, but didn't fall helplessly in love like I did 3 years ago :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Led Zep
    NIN
    silverchair - always liked a little, but since Diorama, they are one of my favorites.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Pink Floyd
    Radiohead
    The Minutemen
    Nine Inch Nails
    Linkin Park
    Incubus
    Notorious B.I.G.
    NERDS!
  • wilco, the doors, the shins, and the yeah yeah yeahs.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Pearl Jam and Neil Young.

Oddly enough, Sleater Kinney was an instant liking.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Incubus
    Radiohead

Those are the main ones.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    wash_ wrote:
    Pearl Jam and Neil Young.

Neil Young took me a good few years to get into. The Unplugged and Harvest Moon albums are not a good place to start...

Thanks God I found Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - he is my absolute favourite now.

Pearl Jam I first heard when Vs. came out - my friend gave me a tape and I was hooked from the start.

Edit: BUT, I remember running out to the shops straight after school to buy No Code on release day - and being so disappointed. I tried hard to like it, but it wasn't until years later that I started to enjoy it...
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Kings of Leon

Downloaded Aha Shake and upon first listen it was forgettable to me,...a few months later, I played that album to death. And it's pretty high up there for one of my favorite records. My most played album on my mp3 player, Rememo and King of the Rodeo top the played list, by far.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Not for me, but it took my brother 15 years to get into Pearl Jam. I took him to the Gorge shows last year and now he is a complete fanatic! All I could say to him after was "Now do you get it?" Boy does he!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    chris cornell

i used to hate his voice and i wasnt a big fan of soundgarden, now i cant get enough of his voice and everything he has put out
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    whoops, wrong thread

while i'm here... Deftones.
  • erm, Pearl Jam. My brother was listening to them when I was 10 years old.
    When Vs came out I started to really like them.
    My brother once caught me hiding behind the sofa singing the songs on Ten and reading the inlay card. He REALLY took the piss out of me - but I know deep down he was proud! :D
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Mother Love Bone and Alice in Chains. Strangely enough, AIC is now my 2nd favorite band probably. Go figure.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    White Stripes
    Wilco

Now two of my favorite bands, period.

Also Neil Young, The Who, and Pink Floyd, believe it or not.