Why do people feel so bad when Syd Barrett dies?

2»

Comments

• *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    kdpjam wrote:
    so, you have to make it a point to say you don't care? if you don't have anything nice to say (especially when someone dies), then don't say anything at all.

(this might be seen as a fucked up standpoint and slightly off topic but) why is death always charged with taboos and do's and don't do's. Everybody knows we are gonna die, why is it still seen as almost a sacred thing?
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    kdpjam wrote:
    so, you have to make it a point to say you don't care? if you don't have anything nice to say (especially when someone dies), then don't say anything at all.

That might be the way you operate, but not the way I operate.

If I have something to say whether it be something you agree with or not, I say it.
    The subject is 'Why do people feel so bad when Syd Barrett dies?'
    I'm just trying to show that it's not necessarily true for all people.
    I don't give a rats ass that he died just like I don't give a shit about over 100 people in India
    being killed in a train blast. Neither one effects my life one little bit.

It's called freedom of speech my friend.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    LongRoad wrote:

If I have something to say whether it be something you agree with or not, I say it.
    I don't give a rats ass that he died just like I don't give a shit about over 100 people in India

its also called no compassion, in my opinion... but to each his own. stupid thread title, i'll give you that...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • corduroy41corduroy41 Posts: 94
    Shine off you crazy diamond. :(
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    *Boy wrote:
    A. Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault.

B. His hasn't produced any music in forever, so the music is still there.....

so why feel bad?

p.s. i love his work, but don't really feel bad at all about what happened, his music is still here.

"No blame, no blame, it could be you"
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    *Boy wrote:
    im sure there are some people who do not deserve any kind of respect, but no, i know no one is perfect, especially not me. but like you said everybody deserves some respect, hundreds of people die and have died today, just because this guy was in a band and whatnot doesn't make him more special. Also didn't say he shouldn't be missed. thats up to each their own. Just doing drugs as an escape is way to easy in my opinion.

I should also point out that when he was taking drugs it was the 60's where most people didn't realise the harmful effects they had. Drug addiction at the end of the day is a disease, when someone is so hopelessly addicted, free will and rational thought diminish.

Personally, it saddens me when I hear of anyone dying, call me overly empathetic or whatever.....I don't think anyone is saying he was any more special as a human being, but he left a mark on the world that obviously affected a lot of people, thus people feel sad about it.
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    *Boy wrote:
    A. Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault.

B. His hasn't produced any music in forever, so the music is still there.....

so why feel bad?

p.s. i love his work, but don't really feel bad at all about what happened, his music is still here.

are you for real?
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    LongRoad wrote:

I guess your opinion is your opinion but do you have to express it in such a crass manner? thats where most of us are taking exception to you.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    LongRoad wrote:

So you don't ever simply decide to keep your thoughts to yourself out of respect to those who may be grieving the loss of someone who meant something to them?

Real classy :rolleyes:
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    I should also point out that when he was taking drugs it was the 60's where most people didn't realise the harmful effects they had. Drug addiction at the end of the day is a disease, when someone is so hopelessly addicted, free will and rational thought diminish.

Personally, it saddens me when I hear of anyone dying, call me overly empathetic or whatever.....I don't think anyone is saying he was any more special as a human being, but he left a mark on the world that obviously affected a lot of people, thus people feel sad about it.

i feel sad, not bad
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    The dude was certifiable crazy wasn't he?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    hippiemom wrote:
    So you don't ever simply decide to keep your thoughts to yourself out of respect to those who may be grieving the loss of someone who meant something to them?

Nope
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Oh where are you now
    Pussywillow that smiled on this leaf
    When I was alone
    You promised the stone from your heart

My head kissed the ground
    I was half the way down
    Treading the sand
    Please
    Please lift a hand
    I'm only a person
    Whose armbands beat
    On his hands hang tall

Won't you miss me?
    Wouldn't you miss me at all?

The poppy birds way
    Swing twigs coffee brands around
    Brandish her wand with a feathery tongue

My head kissed the ground
    I was half the way down
    Treading the sand
    Please
    Please
    Please lift a hand
    I'm only a person
    With eskimo chain
    I tattooed my brain all the way

Won't you miss me?
    Wouldn't you miss me at all?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Drugs weren't looked at the same way back in the 60's, people didn't think aboutthe bad side effects, and if you consider his mental condition its pretty obvious he didn't know what he was doing. If it happened to somebody close to you I'm sure you wold actually consider the reasons instead of being self-centered. Stop trying to put yourself on a higher level than other people.
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    It's called compassion. Try it some time, it's a good human trait.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • *Boy wrote:
    not really, not after what he has done to himself.
    than you sir must not feel anything.

It's very sad.. it's just a really sad story..

Just as importantly it adds to the mysterious aura of Pink Floyd..

Some outlandishly weird or great thing has got to follow this..

i just don't feel like it's over.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    It's sad that he died but otherwise i really don't care.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:
    It's sad that he died but otherwise i really don't care.
    Gilmour and Waters were the REAL Floyd anyway.

but it's still a sad story..

like Poe and so many other tortured souls out there.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    LongRoad wrote:

Its called being a fuckin prick, thats what it is. Hopefully you get what you give and no one gives a flying fuck about you when you die as well.
    Igottago wrote:
    Its called being a fuckin prick, thats what it is. Hopefully you get what you give and no one gives a flying fuck about you when you die as well.

I don't want anyone to give a fuck when I die. Why would I, I'll be dead.

Unfortunately this is not a perfect world.
    In a perfect world, when I die thousands of people will show up at my funeral, a huge bomb will go off and they'll all die too.

Hope to see ya there
  • I just read the first post so I don't know if anyone else is going to say what I'm going to say. That's a bullshit and shallow fucking thought to not even care that Syd died. He is a legend in his own right. The founder of one of the most unique and brilliant bands to ever plug in. He was the inspiration behind tons of Floyd songs. It is sad when anyone dies. That's really fucking low. Syd has a special place in my heart.