Why do people feel so bad when Syd Barrett dies?

*Boy*Boy Posts: 112
edited July 2006 in Other Music
A. Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault.

B. His hasn't produced any music in forever, so the music is still there.....

so why feel bad?

p.s. i love his work, but don't really feel bad at all about what happened, his music is still here.
~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    because its sad when anyone dies, especially when they died a hermit after a long and famous decline. don't you think?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    because its sad when anyone dies, especially when they died a hermit after a long and famous decline. don't you think?

not really, not after what he has done to himself.

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

• Syd lost his father aged twelve and was heavily traumatised. He may have exhibited schizophrenic tendencies long prior to any drug use. Also, he may well have been suffering from extreme Asperger's. These factors brought about the decline of arguably one of the very best and most promising songwriters in popular music. Syd's use of acid is legendary, but there were many things out of Syd's control that brought him down, and popular music was all the poorer for his retirement.
    Syd lost his father aged twelve and was heavily traumatised. He may have exhibited schizophrenic tendencies long prior to any drug use. Also, he may well have been suffering from extreme Asperger's. These factors brought about the decline of arguably one of the very best and most promising songwriters in popular music. Syd's use of acid is legendary, but there were many things out of Syd's control that brought him down, and popular music was all the poorer for his retirement.

well, see i did know all of that. I've never cared about artists private lives just the music. thanks for the update.

• You don't care about people's private lives? Then why make such self righteous pronouncements as

"Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault."

That's what I call damned hypocrisy.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You don't care about people's private lives? Then why make such self righteous pronouncements as

"Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault."

I totally agree.

People take drugs for a variety of reasons, most often as a form of escapism. Who is anyone to judge whether one person's reason for taking drugs is justified? well whoppee for you if you live a nice happy life whereby you wouldn't ever feel the need to self-medicate - but plenty of people don't.
  • ToolgardenToolgarden Posts: 88
    *Boy wrote:
    A. Drugs killed him decades ago, as long as no one forced him taking that crap, its all his own fault.

so why feel bad?

p.s. i love his work, but don't really feel bad at all about what happened, his music is still here.

Why feel bad? Because many people are capable of compassion, which is a quality that is apparently beyond your comprehension.
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
    You don't care about people's private lives? Then why make such self righteous pronouncements as

you are right (no sarcasm), i based it on what i did know and shouldn't have started this thing without checking the facts

• *Boy wrote:
    well, see i did know all of that. I've never cared about artists private lives just the music. thanks for the update.

And this is a contradictory statement for a start. How did you know all of that detailed data if you never cared about artists' private lives, just the music?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    *Boy wrote:

so why feel bad?

How very condescending and opinionated of you, loads of people like Pink Floyd around here so theres obviously gonna be a lot about it, if your not bothered just leave the threads alone.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    I totally agree.

People take drugs for a variety of reasons, most often as a form of escapism. Who is anyone to judge whether one person's reason for taking drugs is justified? well whoppee for you if you live a nice happy life whereby you wouldn't ever feel the need to self-medicate - but plenty of people don't.

i've actually been diagnosed with a light form of schizophrenia as well but i refuse to take medications. also i refuse to take drugs to escape from my depressions because i prefer to be in reality. yes it hurts like a motherfucker but at least its fucking real. im dealing

• I'll leave this thread, just saying that Cambridge people are a bit broken hearted tonight. Their golden boy, their most famous musical son, is gone.
    *Boy wrote:
    so if someone trys drugs and loses control then we should condemn them and not treat them as a human being? maybe one day you'll make a mistake. I'm guessing if that happened you'd still want people to feel compassion when you died?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    And this is a contradictory statement for a start. How did you know all of that detailed data if you never cared about artists' private lives, just the music?

just because i don't care doesnt mean im blind and deaf towards it

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    *Boy wrote:

60 is a relatively young age to die.

Even if he were 97 years old, it would make the news.

What's your problem?
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
    *Boy wrote:

oh shit i just noticed i meant to say DIDN'T!!! my bad....now i understand your reaction....

Jesus this thing derailed completely.....

ok let me clarify some things.....

-I do like the man in question, he was a musical genius
    -i didn't say i didn't care about his death, just that i don't feel as bad as many people seem to feel. people die everyday, people who have contributed more to this world than him, and no one is crying about them.
    -I actually am a very compassionate person (which is where my depressions and other issues are spawned from)
    - "escape is never the safest path"

sorry if i caused any trouble or insult to anyone, i didn't intent to do so.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    *Boy wrote:

what he has done to himself?? um....let's consider what he's done for all of us: he CREATED PINK FLOYD
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I'll leave this thread, just saying that Cambridge people are a bit broken hearted tonight. Their golden boy, their most famous musical son, is gone.

;( i'm sad too...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    *Boy wrote:
    i've actually been diagnosed with a light form of schizophrenia as well but i refuse to take medications. also i refuse to take drugs to escape from my depressions because i prefer to be in reality. yes it hurts like a motherfucker but at least its fucking real. im dealing

And you think that someone who choses the other path deserves less sympathy? Nobody is perfect, and everyone deserves some kind of respect, and to say someone shouldn't be missed because they created their own downfall, in my view is pretty harsh.
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    I don't feel bad.
    I couldn't care less that he's dead.
    LongRoad wrote:
    I don't feel bad.

thanks for that.
    And you think that someone who choses the other path deserves less sympathy? Nobody is perfect, and everyone deserves some kind of respect, and to say someone shouldn't be missed because they created their own downfall, in my view is pretty harsh.

im sure there are some people who do not deserve any kind of respect, but no, i know no one is perfect, especially not me. but like you said everybody deserves some respect, hundreds of people die and have died today, just because this guy was in a band and whatnot doesn't make him more special. Also didn't say he shouldn't be missed. thats up to each their own. Just doing drugs as an escape is way to easy in my opinion.

• because as human beings we feel sad when someone dies whether they have or haven't produced any music in forever
    *Boy wrote:

so why feel bad?

kdpjam wrote:
    thanks for that.

Not a problem.
    LongRoad wrote:
    I don't feel bad.
    that's real nice... nice touch...
    so if you take drugs, then die 30 years later, no one should feel bad for you? i don't get it.

and, if you knew much about syd, you'd know that people were slipping him lsd all the time. not exactly his fault when people are secretly dosing him. i don't think you should be so hard on the guy. lots of people have done plenty of drugs without the effects that poor syd had. he must have had a predisposition to mental illness, and the drugs kinda pushed him over the edge. now how the hell was he supposed to know?

anyway, i can't really explain why it makes me so sad that he's dead, but it does.

well said, chief. people just don't care to relate or understand....
    so if you take drugs, then die 30 years later, no one should feel bad for you? i don't get it.

and, if you knew much about syd, you'd know that people were slipping him lsd all the time. not exactly his fault when people are secretly dosing him. i don't think you should be so hard on the guy. lots of people have done plenty of drugs without the effects that poor syd had. he must have had a predisposition to mental illness, and the drugs kinda pushed him over the edge. now how the hell was he supposed to know?

anyway, i can't really explain why it makes me so sad that he's dead, but it does.

please read the whole thread, i explained and apologized if i hurt anyones feelings

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    that's real nice... nice touch...

Hey, it's how I feel.
    so, you have to make it a point to say you don't care? if you don't have anything nice to say (especially when someone dies), then don't say anything at all.