anyone a black crowes fan?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited August 2007 in Other Music
just started to get into them. what a great band. i never really hear much about them from mainstream stations or anything(which is a good thing). they are great. any fans here?
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I love the Crowes, but how is it good that the band doesn't get play?
  • you better believe it.

make sure you own everything they've done.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Yep, I'm a fan, seen them in concert about 10 times, always a good show. If you don't have all their albums yet I'd recomend getting Amorica and Southern Harmony, two incredible albums.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Great rock n' roll band!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I love the Crowes, but how is it good that the band doesn't get play?
    well, in some ways, it isnt but, usally bands that get a lot of play turn into poppy fad bands that blow over like any other teenage trends, which is bad. no matter how much talent you have, you wont be a trend forever.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    great music............last time I saw them, they were playing the Eastern States Expo in Mass
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    They were my first rock concert I saw in 1992. I always have a great time seeing them. They always put on a great show. When they played with Jimmy Page at Summerfest a few yrs back. One of the greatest concerts I've ever been to. :D
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I loved them in college.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    if you have to own only one black crowes album, make sure it's 'amorica'. amazing music on that one.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Great live band. Great band period.
    Brian
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Yep seeing them in Aug!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Thats odd cause they get played all the time here on the radio.........of course its only one of their three hits. I think they are decent but I didnt really like them live and often overlook them for better and more original bands.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Thats odd cause they get played all the time here on the radio.........of course its only one of their three hits. I think they are decent but I didnt really like them live and often overlook them for better and more original bands.

I think they are great live but I can see why people may not be into them in concert, they play alot of covers and new songs so people may not even know 50% of their set. Plus they tend to extend their songs, a 20 minute version of Thorn in My Pride isn't for eveyone but its just right for me.

Edit- I do find it ironic you mention that you look for more original bands and have Oasis in your handle. I dig Oasis but still its rather humorous.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    holtz wrote:
    I think they are great live but I can see why people may not be into them in concert, they play alot of covers and new songs so people may not even know 50% of their set. Plus they tend to extend their songs, a 20 minute version of Thorn in My Pride isn't for eveyone but its just right for me.

Edit- I do find it ironic you mention that you look for more original bands and have Oasis in your handle. I dig Oasis but still its rather humorous.

Eh its more of the fact that I just dont think they are great......not that catchy, a bit outdated, etc. I still like alot of bands that arent very original but still make incredibly catchy tunes.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Love the Crowes. Been spinning SHAMC, Amorica, and Lost Crowes a good bit lately.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Excellent band that doesn't get a lot of credit. Saw them in concert a couple years ago and they didn't disappoint.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    great live band ,, how can u not love their crowd,,every single person at their shows smoke reefer :)
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    great band ...

for the fans, pick up Lost Crowes ... good unreleased tracks and different versions of those on past albums.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    great live band ,, how can u not love their crowd,,every single person at their shows smoke reefer :)

Amazing Crowds! My favorite Crowes story. First show I ever saw of theirs was at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. Before the Crowes came out a guy next to me (well into his second hit of acid) looks at me at says "Your name is Jason" all matter of fact like. (My name is Jason). I said "what's that?" Again he said "Your name is Jason, right?" After feeling for my wallet to make sure it was still in my pocket, I said "yes, how did you know?" He shrugged his shoulder and said "I just know" and proceeded to offer me a hit off his joint. Great show indeed! Still don't know how he knew my name.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Great Band. Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is one of the best straight up rock records of all time. So much soul on that one. Seeing them live with Marc Ford on lead guitar is a lesson in group improvisation. One of the only bands that should ever be allowed to cover Zeppelin.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I love the Crowes... and if you like them, you may just like my band, we are all huge crowes fans and have their type of sound...

http://www.myspace.com/theheavyheads

I'm seeing the crowes in Milwaukee and at Red Rocks this summer... Can't wait... I always end up conviently seeing them at least 5 times a year, they just seem to follow me!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    moeaholic wrote:
    if you have to own only one black crowes album, make sure it's 'amorica'. amazing music on that one.

agree 100%

"Wiser time" is amazing..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Anyone notice there are so many hilariously great posts in this thread???

First saw them in 1989 when they opened for Aerosmith, and TO THIS DAY that show, aside from some Pearl Jam shows, was the best live show I'd ever seen.

Wiser Times/Hotel Illness/too many to list/awesome!
    I love to turn you on
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I loved them in college.

Your mom goes to college (hehe)
    I love to turn you on
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pjtaper wrote:
    I love the Crowes... and if you like them, you may just like my band, we are all huge crowes fans and have their type of sound...

http://www.myspace.com/theheavyheads

I'm seeing the crowes in Milwaukee and at Red Rocks this summer... Can't wait... I always end up conviently seeing them at least 5 times a year, they just seem to follow me!

I'll see you down at summerfest for the show. :D

I still remember seeing them in 1992 at the Riverside. They had this bubble machine it was so trippy with the light show. lol
  • touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Great Band. Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is one of the best straight up rock records of all time. So much soul on that one. Seeing them live with Marc Ford on lead guitar is a lesson in group improvisation. One of the only bands that should ever be allowed to cover Zeppelin.

what this guy said. (Southern Harmony on some good head phones makes for good times)
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    they played a free show in Richmond in a field last year as part of a nascar racer's promotion. cool - but they seemed a bit rusty from the last time I saw them in the early nineties.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    CJMST3K wrote:
    they played a free show in Richmond in a field last year as part of a nascar racer's promotion. cool - but they seemed a bit rusty from the last time I saw them in the early nineties.

They will be better at Innsbrook in Aug. You going?
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I saw them in small venues twice which was just incredible. I liked them much better that way than the amphitheater show I saw, but I did get a real quick meet and greet and got my picture taken (see my sig below) with them before that one. All I could think of when I saw them up close was, damn I'm getting my picture taken with Stillwater.
    Brian
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    locked wrote:
    agree 100%

"Wiser time" is amazing..

that, and non fiction are my two favorite black crowes songs.

and just to throw it in, moe. does an amazing cover of 'wiser time'.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton