AIC/Velvet Revolver last night in T.O.

Fortunate Son1Fortunate Son1 Posts: 89
edited August 2007 in Other Music
WOW! what a show!...had 2nd row seats and had an amazing time. For anyone who doubted William Duvall singing for AIC put those doubts to rest because this dude did great last night....sings really well and didn't look out of place.

Velvet Revolver put on a great show as well. Weiland gets shit talked a lot on here and other message boards but I can't figure out why because he is still an amazing front man.....very entertaining and it was just so cool to see rock n roll legends so up close. Played some GnR songs and STP songs and also a cool cover of Wish You Were Here.

Anybody else at the show yesterday? What did you all think?
And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    does Duvall sound like Layne?

haven't been able to get feedback on this..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    completely agree that duvall sounds great. you will not be able to tell the difference.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    locked wrote:

I saw them last October. He sounds enough like Layne to get the job done. but at the show I went to, it seemed like his mic was lower in the mix than Jerry's, so you ended up hearing more of Jerry than Duvall. I don't know if that was on purpose or if it was just a coincidence.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
    I was there last night as well..Scott is definetly one of the great rock and roll frontmen. I am waiting for the day that STP reunites...the biggest cheers were for the STP songs, Interstate Love song, Vasoline and Sex Type Thing...

AS for AIC, I saw them at Kool Haus earlier in the year and William Duval fits the roll perfectly. They sound awesome together, and yes he does sound similar to Layne.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    locked wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/comeswiththefall

Check out the song Murder Scene, listen to all of it, it's got a wicked chorus. He has those big soaring notes absolutely nailed.
  • locked wrote:

Well put it this way...he doesn't TRY to sound like Layne imo...of course some songs you just can't help it when trying to hit a note, but Duvall certainly has his own style and delivery.

Yeah mikesbri...Weiland is one of the best frontmen of our era i think...he just defines a rock n roll star!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Sounds cool

Any setlists possible posted here?

Did VR play a lot off of the new album? Mixed? What GNR songs did they do?
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • DCGARDEN wrote:
    Sounds cool

Any setlists possible posted here?

Did VR play a lot off of the new album? Mixed? What GNR songs did they do?

I'll try to find a setlist but VR played a good mix of old and new songs plus GNR and STP....ummm off the top of my head some GnR songs they did....

Mr. Brownstone
    It's So Easy
    Patience

I'll edit the post tomorrow because I get to leave work now (wooohoo!) but there were more GnR songs
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Let It Roll; She Mine;
    Sucker Train Blues; Do It For The Kids; Superhuman; Big Machine; Pills, Demons, Etc.; Get Out The Door; Vasoline; The Last Fight; Interstate Love Song; Gravedancer; Patience; Just Sixteen; Fall To Pieces; It's So Easy; She Builds Quick Machines; Set Me Free; Mr. Brownstone; Sex Type Thing; Wish You Were Here; Slither
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Deadman wrote:
    Let It Roll; She Mine;
    Sucker Train Blues; Do It For The Kids; Superhuman; Big Machine; Pills, Demons, Etc.; Get Out The Door; Vasoline; The Last Fight; Interstate Love Song; Gravedancer; Patience; Just Sixteen; Fall To Pieces; It's So Easy; She Builds Quick Machines; Set Me Free; Mr. Brownstone; Sex Type Thing; Wish You Were Here; Slither

Wow, that's a pretty damn cool setlist! And they played Wish you were here?! I would love to hear that, bet it was awesome.
  • I saw AIC last October and it was a pretty good show albeit not the same without Layne but a good show none the less. Here is the set from that night. Setlist: Again, Bleed The Freak, Grind, It Ain't Like That, Junkhead, Nutshell, Them Bones, Dam That River, Rain When I Die, (Acoustic part of the set: Don't Follow, Brother, Killer Is Me, No Excuses, Got Me Wrong, Down In A Hole) Sludge Factory, We Die Young, Heaven Beside You, Angry Chair, Man In The Box/ Encore: Rooster, Would
    "I sang "The Sound of Silence" in high school. It was a duet with this girl I had a crush on. And then she saw me at a party later on and I was really stoned, and she had nothing to do with me after that. Yeah, I guess I've always kind of crooned." - Matt Cameron on being asked about singing.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    WOW! what a show!...had 2nd row seats and had an amazing time. For anyone who doubted William Duvall singing for AIC put those doubts to rest because this dude did great last night....sings really well and didn't look out of place.

Velvet Revolver put on a great show as well. Weiland gets shit talked a lot on here and other message boards but I can't figure out why because he is still an amazing front man.....very entertaining and it was just so cool to see rock n roll legends so up close. Played some GnR songs and STP songs and also a cool cover of Wish You Were Here.

Anybody else at the show yesterday? What did you all think?
    Sounds cool.........yes, Scott is a great frontman and an excellent singer as well. STP opened with a cover of "Wish You Were Here" when I saw them on their last tour.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    It´s so unserious when a band consisting of two older bands (like audioslave and Velvet revolver) start playing songs from their older merrits. Have some decentcy for heavens sake....you´re not a jam band, are you?
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    tybird wrote:
    STP opened with a cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" when I saw them on their last tour.

Fixed
  • lars wrote:
    It´s so unserious when a band consisting of two older bands (like audioslave and Velvet revolver) start playing songs from their older merrits. Have some decentcy for heavens sake....you´re not a jam band, are you?

Hmmm? What does being a jam band have to do with anything?

Besides which, if I go to see Slash or Jerry Cantrell, I damn sure want to hear stuff from GnR or AiC. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: songs shouldn't die with the band.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    lars wrote:

Come on....are you joking?

Would you be pissed if Robert Plant did a Zeppelin tune?

Plus, let's be honest here. VR would get booed off the stage if they didn't pepper in a little GNR and STP.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    I'd rather hear Mr. Brownstone than any Velvet Revolver or STP song any day. For that matter, I'd take Mr. Brownstone over any GNR tune as well.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
    whats the difference of Pearl Jam playing a Bob Dylan or Neil Young song? I dont get it.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Wow. Alice In Chains fucking ROCKED. They blew VR out of the water. Maybe because thats the 4th I saw VR so I knew what I was in for. I got to shake Duvall's hand which was cool. While VR was playing he was standing at the side near the 100's. Well he was standing right below me, so I went over to him, and I told him he fucking rocks and shook his hand.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Milestone wrote:
    Come on....are you joking?

Would you be pissed if Robert Plant did a Zeppelin tune?

Plus, let's be honest here. VR would get booed off the stage if they didn't pepper in a little GNR and STP.

Yes. I'm gonna try and catch this tour and I definitely would like them to continue playing a few STP or GNR tunes in between their own stuff
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Wow. Alice In Chains fucking ROCKED. They blew VR out of the water. Maybe because thats the 4th I saw VR so I knew what I was in for. I got to shake Duvall's hand which was cool. While VR was playing he was standing at the side near the 100's. Well he was standing right below me, so I went over to him, and I told him he fucking rocks and shook his hand.

Haha that's cool King Nothing!...Did you notice Duff watching AIC's set from the side of the stage?
    Hmmm? What does being a jam band have to do with anything?

Besides which, if I go to see Slash or Jerry Cantrell, I damn sure want to hear stuff from GnR or AiC. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: songs shouldn't die with the band.
    Jam bands play music other bands have made....like velvet revolver, like audioslave....VR is not STP, nor is it GnR...it´s a new band with a new name with some new tunes on some new cds....so why they have to play music from old times must be because the people who listen to VR want to hear these old bands instead of VR....that´s unserious to be like a jukebox pleasing the crowd instead of having some integrity and believing in the new songs the new band has made....totaly jam bandish. Sure if Slash played a solo gig, it would be okay for me to hear some GnR tunes, because he would be performing under his own name and not in a new band....just like it would be ok for Jerry Cantrell to put in an AIC track. But when a new band emerges like VR did with all the hype and so on, I don´t wanna hear a live jukebox playing a nostalgic rifforama
  • lars wrote:
    Jam bands play music other bands have made....like velvet revolver, like audioslave....VR is not STP, nor is it GnR...it´s a new band with a new name with some new tunes on some new cds....so why they have to play music from old times must be because the people who listen to VR want to hear these old bands instead of VR....that´s unserious to be like a jukebox pleasing the crowd instead of having some integrity and believing in the new songs the new band has made....totaly jam bandish. Sure if Slash played a solo gig, it would be okay for me to hear some GnR tunes, because he would be performing under his own name and not in a new band....just like it would be ok for Jerry Cantrell to put in an AIC track. But when a new band emerges like VR did with all the hype and so on, I don´t wanna hear a live jukebox playing a nostalgic rifforama

But when VR is more parts Guns n' Roses than GnR is right now, why the hell shouldn't they play their old songs, and some old STP songs? Nothing wrong with acknowledging your past - it's not like they don't play VR songs as well. If I was Slash or Duff, I'd be damn proud of songs like Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy - why should he stop playing them just cos his old singer was an ass?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • setlists for both bands look great.

I just got tix for the Chicago show in a couple weeks... can't wait!!!
    But when VR is more parts Guns n' Roses than GnR is right now, why the hell shouldn't they play their old songs, and some old STP songs? Nothing wrong with acknowledging your past - it's not like they don't play VR songs as well. If I was Slash or Duff, I'd be damn proud of songs like Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy - why should he stop playing them just cos his old singer was an ass?
    Axl should go under his own name, but he certainly is in it for the money and fame so there you go. Calling it guns n roses is a joke, imo
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Deadman wrote:
    Let It Roll; She Mine;

Fuckin' A!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Haha that's cool King Nothing!...Did you notice Duff watching AIC's set from the side of the stage?

Yeah, I saw him standing there. And Dave was there too.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    What were the set times? I see there is a band before AIC, just wondering what time they AIC hits the stage and how long they play for.
  • mulva9 wrote:
    What were the set times? I see there is a band before AIC, just wondering what time they AIC hits the stage and how long they play for.

The opening band came on right at 7 and played for 20 minutes...AIC played for about an hour....Velvet Revolver for about 90 minutes.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    The opening band came on right at 7 and played for 20 minutes...AIC played for about an hour....Velvet Revolver for about 90 minutes.

So did AIC hit the stage at 8 or sooner?