So I think I'm finally moving away from the grunge/hard rock scene

2»

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    my musical taste has changed also over time. about a year ago or more i listened to mainly all early 90's grunge. mostly alice in chains, as time went by i started listening to more pearl jam, and less AIC. i guess PJ's softer songs like from no code and a bunch of others opened up my mind...

fastforward to now and well honestly nearly all the music i listen to is pearl jam, but they opened my mind to alot of softer music. i really like DMB now, i love eddie vedders new work, im getting into chris cornells softer stuff, and im starting to gradually like more classic rock like the beatles, although i wouldnt call myself a fan. i do like the grateful dead a little though.

basically, pearl jam really helped me expand my musical taste and i really want to get into more classic rock (except ledzep and jimi hendrix, ive heard enough of them) my friend being a hippie also helped too lol
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Stereophonics are blowing my mind at the moment. "Maybe Tomorrow" is already one of my favourite tracks I think. Reminds me a bit of post-badmotorfinger Soundgarden in the vocals and wah wah guitar effects they use. Kelly Jones is an amazing vocalist, one of the best going at the moment and they remain virtually unmentioned on this board which is strange.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    this is kind of weird but:

the only grunge band i've ever really loved turned out to be my favorite band. guess who that is?
    soundgarden and smashing pumpkins (i guess the form part of this category) have only prickled some curiosity and love along the way. i've never cared for nirvana and alice in chains and stone temple pilots etc etc.

so, i've actually never been an avid grunge supporter (as a whole) - there's just too much good music out there that present different dimensions in sound and experiance.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    DOSW wrote:
    I dunno, it pretty much makes up 90% of what I've been listening to for the past few years since I started liking music seriously, and now it's feeling kinda stale. I've kinda burned myself out on the old grunge and hard rock standbyes, and most new hard rock these days sounds so familiar and never presents anything new. It's pretty much:

low guitar riff + "poor me" lyrics + soft verses and loud choruses = today's hard rock

I'm getting much more satsifaction nowadays from older bands like the Beatles and Bruce Springsteen, and newer bands like the Strokes, Interpol, even the Arcade Fire.

It kinda sucks to leave it behind, but I'm not going to fight it. I'll still listen to it but just not nearly as much as I used to. I just watched two Flyleaf videos and I felt like going to sleep they were so boring and unimaginative.

nah dude, it's ok, i feel the same way.

indie's good and i find it easy listenable, but i can't go for long without hard riffs and heavy music. i want to immerse myself into metal scene, but i can't.
    they've got this part in trash genre where they play so fast that you can't even headbang to it, i don't like that part. which sucks for me, cause the only bands i find attractive from metal scene are metallice ( the obvious one ) and pantera.......erm....sepultura is a maybe.
    i tried listening to doom & gloom hehe metal, but it's too lifeless for me.

grunge was prefect for me.

oh, but i do love blues the same way i love grunge :)
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    bland boring music is what inspired me to start listening to Jazz.

hehe, and i remember one time in the park where i had to listen to Jazz, cause there was no other option. It was morning time i had slept really well the day before and i was feeling awake.................untill i heard Jazz, that shit should be illegal hehe it works as good as date rape drug. :D
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Spoon
    oooh yeah :)
    'the way we get by' has been my message tone on my cell for ages. love them.
  • suntzu98suntzu98 Posts: 100
    If anything now as I have gotten a little older; I was 11 when Ten came out, 28 now. My taste in music has gone all over the map of musical genre's. From 90's grunge AIC, NIN, Live, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam. To Norah Jones, Amos Lee, Diana Krall, Kelly Clarkson, to 36 Crazyfists, Killswitch Engage, Flyleaf, Red, In This Moment, Mudvayne, Deadsy...etc...
    Philly '98 '00 (1 & 2) '03 '06 (1 & 2) '08 (1 & 2)
    East Rutherford '98
    Merriweather '98
    Gorge '05
    Vancouver '05
    Los Angeles I,II '06
    Santa Barbara '06
    Fonda Theater '06
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I've the same attitude today as I had when I was introduced to music in 1965 , aged 6 . If it sounds good at first listen , I'm partially sold. If I see a band live and am still impressed , I'm further sold. I don't buy cds until I see a band live. Catchy is good. Fast forward forty-two years and I'm finding that I like Ted Leo , Arcade Fire , Band of Horses , YYY , MMJ , Death Cab , M.I.A. ,QOTSA , etc... etc.. Age ( mine or the artist ) and musical genre mean fuck all .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Bleh... I just can't stand the style... I don't know what it is in them... I just hate it... I downloaded Neon bible... then deleted it because I couldn't stand it... then I heard so much about it that I decided to re-download it to try it out again... and I still hate it... Just my opinion... I can't help what I don't like...

Same here.

Anyway, grunge does get tiresome after a while. The only grunge band I never quit listening to was Screaming Trees. Love the Trees. Easily the most original grunge band... so I'll never get tired of them.

Happy travels, but don't give away those 90's records... you'll want them back again someday.
  • Over the last 8 years ive went through this progression. The Band in caps being the one that opens up to the next phase

Korn, Slipknot, (Insert More Nu Metal), INCUBUS. >>>

Incubus, Tool, Apc, red hot chili peppers PEARL JAM >>>>

PEARL JAM, soundgarden, alice in chains etc>>>>>>

PEARL JAM, Nick Cave & Bad Seeds!, Radiohead, Neil young!, the who

and my side project phase of: is massive attack, avalanches, portishead
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Well.. I guess I'm still deeply entrenched in the 90s.
    My favorite bands are Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Rage, Queens Of The Mother Fucking Stone Age, Radiohead and the Chili Peppers. All of them are 90's bands (except the Queens). As are Green Day and Weezer. I always look forward to seeing these bands when they tour.
    I do like some of the newer bands... Rilo Kiley, Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups. And the in-between bands like the White Stripes and The Strokes.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!