So I think I'm finally moving away from the grunge/hard rock scene

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I dunno, it pretty much makes up 90% of what I've been listening to for the past few years since I started liking music seriously, and now it's feeling kinda stale. I've kinda burned myself out on the old grunge and hard rock standbyes, and most new hard rock these days sounds so familiar and never presents anything new. It's pretty much:

low guitar riff + "poor me" lyrics + soft verses and loud choruses = today's hard rock

I'm getting much more satsifaction nowadays from older bands like the Beatles and Bruce Springsteen, and newer bands like the Strokes, Interpol, even the Arcade Fire.

It kinda sucks to leave it behind, but I'm not going to fight it. I'll still listen to it but just not nearly as much as I used to. I just watched two Flyleaf videos and I felt like going to sleep they were so boring and unimaginative.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NO, DON'T GO.. TRAITOR!!

Seriously, I like grunge and hard rock but I'm a bit of a sucker for atmospheric, folk-tinged music as well.. Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros... I think most of the exciting music coming out currently is on the soft side.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Same here man, I went from Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Bush, Alice in Chains, and Foo Fighters - TO - Band of Horses, The Shins, Spoon, Cold War Kids, and Wintersleep.

I'm loving the newer indie music. Its so fresh and addictive. Some of it it pretty bad though like The National and Arcade Fire. But don't get me wrong I still like grunge and hard rock.. its just they haven't been very high on my music priorities...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Same here man, I went from Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Bush, Alice in Chains, and Foo Fighters - TO - Band of Horses, The Shins, Spoon, Cold War Kids, and Wintersleep.

I'm loving the newer indie music. Its so fresh and addictive. Some of it it pretty bad though like The National and Arcade Fire. But don't get me wrong I still like grunge and hard rock.. its just they haven't been very high on my music priorities...
    How can you like newer indie music for being fresh and addictive if you think the Arcade Fire are bad? Probably the most fresh mainstream "indie" band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How can you like newer indie music for being fresh and addictive if you think the Arcade Fire are bad? Probably the most fresh mainstream "indie" band.

Bleh... I just can't stand the style... I don't know what it is in them... I just hate it... I downloaded Neon bible... then deleted it because I couldn't stand it... then I heard so much about it that I decided to re-download it to try it out again... and I still hate it... Just my opinion... I can't help what I don't like...
  • I used to be into AIC, Soundgarden, Live and Pumpkins big time but then bands like Nickelback/Creed/Daughtry shat all over the genre with their chest beating macho shit... :(

These days its Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse, Tom Waits and Radiohead that do it for me.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    SSome of it it pretty bad though like The National and Arcade Fire.

I was going to echo your sentiments until I read that part! Two of my favorite bands right now, but it's all a matter of taste, right?;)

For me grunge/hard rock was a teenage thing. I still love Pearl Jam, appreciate Alice in Chains' prettier music (Sap, Jar of Flies, Unplugged) and listen to Soundgarden on occasion, but overall I'm in a different place these days.

When I went off to college I started to branch out, and I'm glad I did. Lately I prefer so-called "indie" bands or music that incorporates a little country, roots or folk with their rock. I'm also a bit more interested in keeping up-to-date rather than simply wallowing in the music of a past generation.
  • I've still never listened to Arcade Fire. I'm getting turned onto punk and even Rock N Roll.
  • soclose wrote:
    For me grunge/hard rock was a teenage thing. I still love Pearl Jam, appreciate Alice in Chains' prettier music (Sap, Jar of Flies, Unplugged) and listen to Soundgarden on occasion, but overall I'm in a different place these days.

I'm 15... I think its just the changing of the times...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm 15... I think its just the changing of the times...

I think as you get older you'll appreciate the Arcade Fire more and more. It's nothing against your age - I'm only four years older than you - but I can tell that they'll resonate more with me as I get into my 20's and 30's.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    DOSW wrote:
    I think as you get older you'll appreciate the Arcade Fire more and more. It's nothing against your age - I'm only four years older than you - but I can tell that they'll resonate more with me as I get into my 20's and 30's.

Yeah, I was going to say that I don't think I could have loved them in my teens. Now, they are reaching Pearl Jam status for me, but I am 29. I know some teens that love them, but I was in a different kind of place at that age.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Listen to Built to Spill; they're phenomenal.

And I agree... I used to be into heavy metal... or lame heavy metal, IE, Mudvayne, Slipknot... yeah, stupid shit like that... then I found Incubus and they started straying me to all kinds of music... then I found Radiohead, even more... so yeah. I don't really listen to "heavy" music now-a-days... now and then, I'll throw in a harder CD, like System of a Down... but other than that, give me Incubus, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, or Bruce Springsteen, and you've got yourself a deal.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    boroff89 wrote:
    Yeah, I was going to say that I don't think I could have loved them in my teens. Now, they are reaching Pearl Jam status for me, but I am 29. I know some teens that love them, but I was in a different kind of place at that age.

I have to agree.

I remember seeing Wilco on television around '97 or so - I was about 15 years old. I took one look at Jeff Tweedy, listened to a fews seconds of the music and thought "there's no way I'm going to like this." Today they're my favorite band. You never know how your tastes may evolve.
  • If you listened to a wider range of music, you wouldnt have this problem :P
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • I'm 15... I think its just the changing of the times...
    I'm 16, and I literaly think that Neon Bible is one of the best albums ever recorded. I wasn't a Funeral fan, but after listening to Neon Bible, I like Funeral more (sort of like I didn't like Ok Computer until I digested The Bends).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • soclose wrote:
    I have to agree.

I remember seeing Wilco on television around '97 or so - I was about 15 years old. I took one look at Jeff Tweedy, listened to a fews seconds of the music and thought "there's no way I'm going to like this." Today they're my favorite band. You never know how your tastes may evolve.

Well thats the thing.. I already like most other "indie" bands... and I like Wilco... I already listen to a pretty wide range of music... I just don't think I could like arcade fire... but I'll see in about 10 years if I like them lol...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Hard rock these days is absolutely dreadful, I was looking at the top modern rock songs on billboard right now and they are mostly of this genre and all just terrible songs. You got Seether, Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Coheed And Cambria, Linkin Park..........all basically bands that I cant stand, all songs that are consist of all or some these things......whiny, bad lyrics, lame, predictable, and probably the worst thing of all.....vocalists that have raspy annoying voices. Its hard to believe how great hard rock was in the 90s and how dreadful it is today. Thank god I have found other music to replace it with.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Bleh... I just can't stand the style... I don't know what it is in them... I just hate it... I downloaded Neon bible... then deleted it because I couldn't stand it... then I heard so much about it that I decided to re-download it to try it out again... and I still hate it... Just my opinion... I can't help what I don't like...

I dont hate it but I also dont see what all the fuss was about, have given it a few listens and there are a couple songs that are pretty cool but I am not blown away with the rest. Sure maybe its different than alot of other bands coming out nowadays but I dont think different necessarily makes it better quality. The vocals arent very good either, too soft.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    been feeling kinda bad b/c i've been drifting away from bands that're more edgy. been spending lots of time listening to 'alt nation' on sirius (i get it free with my dish network - but i flip to 'lithium - 90's rock' when i hear a band like 'panic at the disco'), but i digress...

bands like interpol, the hives, silversun pickups, against me! have really worked well for me lately...hell, even jimmy eat world has done a nice job. saw them open for greenday a few years ago and i couldn't complain about a minute of it.

spent a small bit of time thinking about how sirius has two stations...one called 'alt nation' and another called 'lithium - 90's alternative rock' and i can't help but think bands like those listed above just kinda seem like a progression from the 90's. sure, they're more poppy...but 'kids' today don't wanna be as angst ridden as we old fogies wanted to be (i'm 33).
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Got Rain When I Die blasting and it feels gooo-oooooood :)
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    Hard rock these days is absolutely dreadful, I was looking at the top modern rock songs on billboard right now and they are mostly of this genre and all just terrible songs. You got Seether, Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Coheed And Cambria, Linkin Park..........all basically bands that I cant stand, all songs that are consist of all or some these things......whiny, bad lyrics, lame, predictable, and probably the worst thing of all.....vocalists that have raspy annoying voices. Its hard to believe how great hard rock was in the 90s and how dreadful it is today. Thank god I have found other music to replace it with.

Speaking of Oasis, I only recently heard What's the Story Morning Glory for the first time. Why it took me so long I have no idea, but its brilliant.

Oasis and the Smashing Pumpkins are really the only hard rock acts I'm into right now.
    DOSW wrote:
    Speaking of Oasis, I only recently heard What's the Story Morning Glory for the first time. Why it took me so long I have no idea, but its brilliant.

Oasis and the Smashing Pumpkins are really the only hard rock acts I'm into right now.

You consider Oasis hard rock? Definitely Maybe was on the heavier side but still would never consider them a hard rock band, dont even think I would consider The Smashing Pumpkins a hard rock band either.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

You consider Oasis hard rock? Definitely Maybe was on the heavier side but still would never consider them a hard rock band, dont even think I would consider The Smashing Pumpkins a hard rock band either.

Nah, not really hard rock. I meant more the alt/rock 90's scene. But the Pumpkins are definitely hard rock if you axe me....
  • I'm 16, and I literaly think that Neon Bible is one of the best albums ever recorded. I wasn't a Funeral fan, but after listening to Neon Bible, I like Funeral more (sort of like I didn't like Ok Computer until I digested The Bends).

I agree with everything in this post.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Good time to move on...plenty of great bands to check out right now. Try this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HmuytGMlItc
  • bland boring music is what inspired me to start listening to Jazz.
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

i'm with you....don't like them.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Listen to Built to Spill; they're phenomenal.

And I agree... I used to be into heavy metal... or lame heavy metal, IE, Mudvayne, Slipknot... yeah, stupid shit like that... then I found Incubus and they started straying me to all kinds of music... then I found Radiohead, even more... so yeah. I don't really listen to "heavy" music now-a-days... now and then, I'll throw in a harder CD, like System of a Down... but other than that, give me Incubus, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, or Bruce Springsteen, and you've got yourself a deal.
    I'm quickly becoming a massive Incubus fan. Everyone should check em out! Great live band too.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Hard rock these days is absolutely dreadful, I was looking at the top modern rock songs on billboard right now and they are mostly of this genre and all just terrible songs. You got Seether, Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Coheed And Cambria, Linkin Park..........all basically bands that I cant stand, all songs that are consist of all or some these things......whiny, bad lyrics, lame, predictable, and probably the worst thing of all.....vocalists that have raspy annoying voices.

We agree on something! It's progress!
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    We agree on something! It's progress!

You would have to be delusional to not agree
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I'm quickly becoming a massive Incubus fan. Everyone should check em out! Great live band too.

Oh yes... now that you're becoming a fan... did you get their newest DVD (Look Alive)? If you get the right packaging, you get a bonus disc that has 17 songs on it... 11 of them are new little instrumental ditties and are just completely amazing, such a different direction for the band... also, they have a 24 minute song called "The Odyssey"... which was split into 4 movements for the Halo 2 soundtrack, which is extremely epic/phenomenal... ANDDDDDDDDDDD check out ben kenney's solo work... it's downright fantastic.

Sorry, I'm really obsessed with Incubus, since they are my favorite band.
    If I could, think I would give in.