Is "OK Computer" perfection?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I've definitely pondered this today. I was on a long drive and decided to pop it in. Needless to say I ended up listening to the whole thing once on my way to the destination and again going back. There is not one bad song on here... even the worst song is better than average. Thom Yorke's vocals are amazing... they're unique, they perfectly fit the style of the music, and they're simply tear-inducing (I mean that in the best way). It's hard to pick a favorite though, because it seems the song that I'm currently listening to is my favorite.

The lyrics are extremely vague though, but I don't have a big problem with that, as the music and ambiance of the album gets the message through just as well.

Phew. Let me hear some appreciation!
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Yes..perfection. I'm not sure a better album has ever been made.

Wow, that's strange..just as I was typing this "subterranean homesick alien" started playing on my mp3 player, which is on random/shuffle. I guess God is telling us OK Computer is the best.
  • Igottago wrote:
    Yes..perfection. I'm not sure a better album has ever been made.

Wow, that's strange..just as I was typing this "subterranean homesick alien" started playing on my mp3 player, which is on random/shuffle. I guess God is telling us OK Computer is the best.

well I don't know if it's perfection but it's surely one of the two or three best albums of the 90's.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • i think it might be...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • it owuld be perfection if 'let down' didn't make the record...but i guess it fits with the vibe......but that song blows, you know it does.
    8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4/30/03, 6/6/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 3/18/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/5/06, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/22/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 7/6/06
  • TheHotRock wrote:
    it owuld be perfection if 'let down' didn't make the record...but i guess it fits with the vibe......but that song blows, you know it does.

are you serious? well i enjoy it:)...and i gotta say this is my favorite radiohead album. it's the one that got me listening to them.
  • wrappedwrapped Posts: 12
    TheHotRock wrote:
    it owuld be perfection if 'let down' didn't make the record...but i guess it fits with the vibe......but that song blows, you know it does.

Wow. Are you serious? It's incredible. Thom's vocals at the end is just mindblowing.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm sure I'm the odd man out but I can't get into Radiohead at all other than Creep. Don't know what it is but I can't make it all the way through any of their albums. I respect them as musicians but it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe one day I'll get it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I'm sure I'm the odd man out but I can't get into Radiohead at all other than Creep. Don't know what it is but I can't make it all the way through any of their albums. I respect them as musicians but it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe one day I'll get it.

i think it helped that i heard ok computer first. it was easy to progress with them from there.
  • perfection, i'd say pretty damn close. Radiohead is one of my favourite groups, but maybe a little wierd. I've always found The Bends to be a better record than Ok Computer. Again maybe i'm wierd, but i dunno, the bends is in my top 5 favourite albums of all time.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • leafs4ever wrote:
    perfection, i'd say pretty damn close. Radiohead is one of my favourite groups, but maybe a little wierd. I've always found The Bends to be a better record than Ok Computer. Again maybe i'm wierd, but i dunno, the bends is in my top 5 favourite albums of all time.

i agree. ok computer is great, but i think the bends is the better record. although i also think kid a is better than both of them.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    TheHotRock wrote:

wow..blasphemy..how could you think that song sucks? Its amazing, one of my favourites..
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The first half of the album is pure genius. I'm not sure a better "side" has ever been recorded.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    No.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    as close as you can get to perfection
    this must be one of the greatest albums of all time.

except for no surprises, there is not a song on this album that i don't adore.
    track 1 through 6 must be the most inspired stretch of music on any album ever.

well, that is how i feel about it

radiohead is my second favorite band, so i listen to them alot, and in my humble opinion the bends and kid a doesn't touch ok computer, not even close!

ok computer is their undisputed masterpiece, probably the most important album of the 90's as well
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • its not perfection, but its pretty close. that being said, i still prefer the bends.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    its not perfection, but its pretty close. that being said, i still prefer the bends.

let's be honest, perfection doesn't exist! In my case I prefer the Kid A record!!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Pretty close, but it is a song too long(The Tourist or No Surprises should have been cut).
  • I liked The Bends better.
    8/12/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 9/8/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/24/08, 6/27/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/20/10, 9/12/12, 10/21/13
  • Judging from what I've heard, the new record has the potential to match the bends/ok computer, if the songs are recorded right. Just check out the live release of "down is the new up" Songs like 15 step, videotape and nude are mindblowing. It's going to be better than the thief.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    SlowFade wrote:
    Judging from what I've heard, the new record has the potential to match the bends/ok computer, if the songs are recorded right. Just check out the live release of "down is the new up" Songs like 15 step, videotape and nude are mindblowing. It's going to be better than the thief.

i've also heard this

but, i kind of expect them to put out a brilliant album
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well i don't think it is perfect. It is one of my favorite albums.

It may be cliche, but Kind of Blue by Miles Davis might be the closest thing to perfection i've heard, and when you consider the album was one take that is amazing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Nothing is Perfect but Ok Computer definatly comes close. The Bends, Kid A, and Hail To The Thief is also right up there in my opinion.
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    yes, this is perfection. when a "song" like Fitter, Happier fits perfectly, you know you have one hell of a cohesive album.
    Live Free or Die!
  • adam42381 wrote:

Creep isn't even the best song on that album. "Stop Whispering" is an incredible song.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    DOSW wrote:
    I've definitely pondered this today. I was on a long drive and decided to pop it in. Needless to say I ended up listening to the whole thing once on my way to the destination and again going back. There is not one bad song on here... even the worst song is better than average. Thom Yorke's vocals are amazing... they're unique, they perfectly fit the style of the music, and they're simply tear-inducing (I mean that in the best way). It's hard to pick a favorite though, because it seems the song that I'm currently listening to is my favorite.

The lyrics are extremely vague though, but I don't have a big problem with that, as the music and ambiance of the album gets the message through just as well.

Phew. Let me hear some appreciation!

Damn close to perfection...I'd rate it 95%...Paranoid Android is one of the best tunes I've ever heard...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Really close to it.

AHHHHH

I found an Ok Computer vinyl (VINYL!) at the record exchange!!!

mreglkarslkgasr

I paid 35 dollars for it but man it was worth it..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    parel jam wrote:
    Damn close to perfection...I'd rate it 95%...Paranoid Android is one of the best tunes I've ever heard...

"God loves his children... God loves his children..."

Had those lines stuck in my head all day yesterday. Haunting.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    DOSW wrote:
    "God loves his children... God loves his children..."

Had those lines stuck in my head all day yesterday. Haunting.
    Ever heard that tune live?? Man, they blast me away...how powerful!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • its not perfection, but its pretty close. that being said, i still prefer the bends.

Exactly... I think The Bends is superior in every way, but to each his own.

The only album that come close to the "perfect" status in my mind is "Automatic for the People" by R.E.M., which is funny because "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" is my favorite and I listen to that (and even "Monster") more often. So I guess perfect doesn't always equal the most listened to.

So maybe you guys are right about it and I just prefer The Bends.
  • It's all about the bends people!