Velvet Revolver's 'Libertad' due June 4th

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I would take him over EVH ANY time.

Eddie Van Halen is great if you like your guitar solos to be played by a robot in high gear.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    holtz wrote:
    Eddie used to be able to play better than Slash but he's apparently too messed up to do much of anything now. I'd take Slash over Eddie in a heartbeat.

I'd take McCready over them both, Slash's riffs are all the same and EVH is a mess in all ways.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Slash has better riffs and solos than McCready. Ever heard Paradise City, NovemberRain, Estranged, Coma, and Sweet Child O' Mine? Slash ripped in Guns N' Roses, but unfortunatley he needs Mr Rose to push him to greatness.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I miss STP too...but given what we have, I like Army of Anyone over Velvet Revolver quite a bit. I like the DeLeo's style a lot better. I think Patrick does a good job on vocals.

BTW...EVH is better than Slash...and McCready...
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Slash has better riffs and solos than McCready. Ever heard Paradise City, NovemberRain, Estranged, Coma, and Sweet Child O' Mine? Slash ripped in Guns N' Roses, but unfortunatley he needs Mr Rose to push him to greatness.

Out of how many GNR songs? Yes, there's a memorable lick here and there but, his riffs are usually bland and boring. The VR album proves that without question. I'm not saying McCready is BETTER technically but, if I had to the choice to pick all around, i'd pick McCready.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Eddie Van Halen is great if you like your guitar solos to be played by a robot in high gear.

you obviously don't have a good ear for guitar. personal taste aside, every decent guitar player has to ackowledge that EVH was one of the very few guitar plaeyrs from that era who could play fast and cop a good feel. The man's tone is legendary.........but if you think he's just about speed you must be right
  • I'd take McCready over them both, Slash's riffs are all the same and EVH is a mess in all ways.

I don't even have to say this is rediculous because if you asked Mike himself who they should take he'd probably think you are a moron for picking him. At least he is self aware enough to understand this ..............unlike his fans
  • Matty Boy wrote:

do you guys even know what a riff is? Sweet Child o Mine isn't a riff.........at least not the part that the songs is famous for. In my opinion they are pretty close in terms of lead work.............and niether one of them have that many great guitar riffs.

Stone writes great riffs...........

I stand by Unchained by van halen as the greatest riff..........considering Mike rocked it at the end of ledbetter at columbus 2000........maybe he'd tetnd to agree.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    per
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    personally i don´t consider the intro guitar lines of alive, given to fly and faithful as a riffs... i find them too weak for be called guitar riffs...
    I don't even have to say this is rediculous because if you asked Mike himself who they should take he'd probably think you are a moron for picking him. At least he is self aware enough to understand this ..............unlike his fans

Again, technically speaking..i'm not saying anybody is better than anybody. I'm saying if I had the choice between all three guys AT THIS MOMENT, I'd take Mike McCready. And listen asshole, i'm no fanboy, not even close. I have an opinion and I used it. I have no issue at all with saying Mike McCready is WAAAY more creative than Slash will ever think about being.
  • I don't even have to say this is rediculous because if you asked Mike himself who they should take he'd probably think you are a moron for picking him. At least he is self aware enough to understand this ..............unlike his fans

Everything this guy posts is usually backwards.

I am sorry mattosbourne, your a nice kid but you are crazy.

Wasnt it you who said crhris cornell bareley wrote any of audioslaves music.

Go ahead call me a dog, I asked for it, but I had to let this out.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Again, technically speaking..i'm not saying anybody is better than anybody. I'm saying if I had the choice between all three guys AT THIS MOMENT, I'd take Mike McCready. And listen asshole, i'm no fanboy, not even close. I have an opinion and I used it. I have no issue at all with saying Mike McCready is WAAAY more creative than Slash will ever think about being.

YOU ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST FANBOYS ON THIS SITE PERIOD.

I dont really even like slash but he is a very creative technical guitar player compparred to Mike.
    Part of not being a fanboy, which everyone grows out of is not destroying your credibility making false statements to show your love.

You stated tom Morrello wrote 90 percent of audioslave, and chris didnt do shit, that is a fanboy statement.

no more shows
  • You just dont get it with what is trying to be said here.
    Guys like ed vh and slash, and neil young or even david gilmour, just to take a step away from speed.
    Mike can play fast, he reminds me of the guitar player from bill haley and the cometts. He can get around the guitar. Yes he is also creative with his songwriting.
    Where Mike lacks to these guys is the complete sound and chords he chooses to use.
    Listen to i got id, why does neil tear him up on that.
    Mike chooses to play this way, when he is on he shares the stage with stone, they use eachother for their sound and it is great.
    But to sit here and discredit these other guitar players who carry a bigger load is insane regardless if you do not like their work, its still great guitar playing.
    Slash structures most of his songs with the guitar, the same cannott be said for mike alone in pearl jam.
    Is mike capable of being more technical, I would have to venture yes, but like jerry garcia mike stays close to home and is content which is a main ingrideient in the jam we call pearl.
    Speed is not where mike lacks, its his lack of change.
    He has went from Stevie Ray Vaughn style to more of a mike ness style.

no more shows
  • tonadax wrote:
    personally i don´t consider the intro guitar lines of alive, given to fly and faithful as a riffs... i find them too weak for be called guitar riffs...

keep in mind alot of the time its both guys sharing a riff.

no more shows
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Hopefully Axl puts out Chinese Democracy on the same day. I'm sure Axl would like nothing more than to upstage his old bandmates.

You guys sit here and act like they fucked axyl. I guess they were supposed to sit around and wait. Also axyl trashed another great band since the departure of thos bandmates so the line is long.
    The only reason this album is even comming out is because of all the money he ripped off from the record companies, if this album is not great, axyl is done, he will be fired from his label immedialtey.

I think he has other things to worry about besides upstaging slash. vr love em or hate em has 1 under their belt and a tour where they actually showed up.

Axyl has a long way to go.

no more shows
  • Contraband was as tired and stale as any album could ever be but, I've got a pretty good feeling about Libertad.

Stale comparred to what.
    Dream theater.
    Weiland was great on that album, very creative.
    Just say you didnt like it.
    This is a fanboy statement.
    What would give you the feeling libertad would be better.
    Knowing scotts music he will take a step in the same direction.
    This album will have the mainstream rocker.
    Than the rocker ballad.
    It will have 3 to 4 scott songs
    and will have traditional rockers mixed in.
    The slash and stp fans will love it, the chics will love it, I wouldnt expect a real departure from the first. Do not set yourself up for a letdown.
    This album will also fall short to the gnr and stp fans who want more progress, who basically didnt like the first album. Just like the pattern in audioslave, these bands are assembled for these musicians to do what they do best and play it safe and rock out. Why would they change.

no more shows
  • holtz wrote:
    Not sure Libertad is gonna kick anything's ass, especially when considering that Contraband was rather boring. I hope the album is better than the first, I really want to like Velvet Revolver but I was so dissapointed by them. Atleast I can still go see them in concert and enjoy the GNR and STP covers they do.

These musicians all have other projects where they changed their bread and butter. If you didnt like vr, go get scotts 2 solo records, or slashes snake pit, or that country shit they did.
    I understand why people wouldnt like vr, it wasnt original. I just dont get where everyone expects so mich change from record to record. Its the same with pj.

These bands are not progressive rock. They are mainstream rock/folk/metal. Their change is within the bands style from record to record. Not a complete overhaul.

no more shows
    Stale comparred to what.
    Dream theater.
    Weiland was great on that album, very creative.
    Just say you didnt like it.
    This is a fanboy statement.
    What would give you the feeling libertad would be better.
    Knowing scotts music he will take a step in the same direction.
    This album will have the mainstream rocker.
    Than the rocker ballad.
    It will have 3 to 4 scott songs
    and will have traditional rockers mixed in.
    The slash and stp fans will love it, the chics will love it, I wouldnt expect a real departure from the first. Do not set yourself up for a letdown.
    This album will also fall short to the gnr and stp fans who want more progress, who basically didnt like the first album. Just like the pattern in audioslave, these bands are assembled for these musicians to do what they do best and play it safe and rock out. Why would they change.

Again, i'm nowhere close to a fanboy, I've never even seen Pearl Jam live you idiot. There are SEVERAL guitarists I'd choose over Mike McCready, TONS! If you want me to conceede that Slash is technically better than McCready, I will do that without a problem. I won't say Slash is this god like guitar player with these super original guitar lines, because he isn't. Contraband was tired, there wasn't an original lick on that entire album. It was uninspired. Libertad will be better, have you not read interviews where Scott says its more musical, more textures and that because of Brendan, Slash and Duff rose to a new level, thats no coincidence. I'm expecting something slightly similiar to the progression from Core to Purple, it really isn't hard to understand. I'm a HUGE Stone Temple Pilots fan but, sounds to me like you're a Scott Weiland fan boy, his solo album wasn't anything worth recommending to someone else. I guess a fanboy would never say that a Pearl Jam album was stale and uninspired, well i'm about too..some of Binaural and most of Riot Act was. On to Audioslave, If you listen to all three Audioslave albums and list me 10 guitar lines you think Chris Cornell had anything to do with, you're fucking insane. For the MOST part, they are straight up 100% post RATM guitar lines. Chris Cornell shaped their sound to an extent, with songs like Doesn't Remind Me etc but, mostly the music was Morello. All that it takes to hear that is EARS. The next thing you're going to tell me is Cochise and Your Time Has Come's main guitar riffs are completely different.
  • Again, i'm nowhere close to a fanboy, I've never even seen Pearl Jam live you idiot. There are SEVERAL guitarists I'd choose over Mike McCready, TONS! If you want me to conceede that Slash is technically better than McCready, I will do that without a problem. I won't say Slash is this god like guitar player with these super original guitar lines, because he isn't. Contraband was tired, there wasn't an original lick on that entire album. It was uninspired. Libertad will be better, have you not read interviews where Scott says its more musical, more textures and that because of Brendan, Slash and Duff rose to a new level, thats no coincidence. I'm expecting something slightly similiar to the progression from Core to Purple, it really isn't hard to understand. I'm a HUGE Stone Temple Pilots fan but, sounds to me like you're a Scott Weiland fan boy, his solo album wasn't anything worth recommending to someone else. I guess a fanboy would never say that a Pearl Jam album was stale and uninspired, well i'm about too..some of Binaural and most of Riot Act was.

On to Audioslave, If you listen to all three Audioslave albums and list me 10 guitar lines you think Chris Cornell had anything to do with, you're fucking insane. For the MOST part, they are straight up 100% post RATM guitar lines. Chris Cornell shaped their sound to an extent, with songs like Doesn't Remind Me etc but, mostly the music was Morello. All that it takes to hear that is EARS. The next thing you're going to tell me is Cochise and Your Time Has Come's main guitar riffs are completely different.

I am not fucking insane, I listen to a lot of Soundgarden and alot of rage.

You talk this kind of trash when you are incorrect. You are letting your opinion run away with itself.
    Chris wrote the songs Tom played the guitar. A guitar riff is a part of a song.
    I never said Chris wrote any guitar. He wrote the songs. His key, his singing, his ideas on chords on some material. Also the drummer drums with a totall Chris feel to him.
    It is his creativity. His trademark on most of the music.
    You have talked all this riff knowledge, I am talking timing, chorus, harmonozing, melodies.

I commented on your original slash comment, your second one is more accurate. It is just funny when people on here talk all this trash on these musicians that are of good quality. Its like if your not involved in Pear Jam you suck. Your first replies are in that form, you basically said slash sucked and Mike was god.

As far as Scott he makes me sick when he talks all this crap before albums. He is right up their with singer/writer/frontman with anyone. Its his cheezyness with his personal life.
    He said the same stuff before shangraladida, it was great he couldnt handle the change in the mainstream eye and never even played any of the material on the respective tour.
    I doubt the music will sound all that differant, but it would be fine by me either way.
    His solo album 12 bar blues is good work so again your comment is silly, because that is real creative music like it or not. You are making it sound like trash when all he did was use many differant instruments, techniques, and took a really differant direction with his creativity and singing.
    It is the kind of cd to recomend.

I expected you to be more harsh, I was tuff on you so be it.

Peace

no more shows
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    you obviously don't have a good ear for guitar. personal taste aside, every decent guitar player has to ackowledge that EVH was one of the very few guitar plaeyrs from that era who could play fast and cop a good feel. The man's tone is legendary.........but if you think he's just about speed you must be right

Eddie Van Halen had two things going for him. Tone and speed. The man had one of the best overdriven guitar tones of all time, and his speed is obviously legendary.

But I don't recall EVER feeling moved by any of his solos. Not one. Eruption for example is a great display of years and years of practice... but that doesn't mean shit to me when I feel more emotion in a solo like Cinnamon Girl.

Basically, this is how I feel about EVH: great guitar player, but I couldn't care less.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Eddie Van Halen had two things going for him. Tone and speed. The man had one of the best overdriven guitar tones of all time, and his speed is obviously legendary.

But I don't recall EVER feeling moved by any of his solos. Not one. Eruption for example is a great display of years and years of practice... but that doesn't mean shit to me when I feel more emotion in a solo like Cinnamon Girl.

Basically, this is how I feel about EVH: great guitar player, but I couldn't care less.

This is the perfect example of expressing your opinion in a valid way............on this board i feel like i just spotted a dodo bird.

I'm not wowed by EVH's solos as much as I am his "Brown Sound" tone. (so famous it even has a name......but of course he's a one demnsional speed guy). The opening riffs to panama, unchained and you really got me are just a few examples of what a good riff guy he was.

Thanks for adding in some decent debate along with the noway, ect......kept this thread fro mthe toilet.
    I am not fucking insane, I listen to a lot of Soundgarden and alot of rage.

You talk this kind of trash when you are incorrect. You are letting your opinion run away with itself.
    Chris wrote the songs Tom played the guitar. A guitar riff is a part of a song.
    I never said Chris wrote any guitar. He wrote the songs. His key, his singing, his ideas on chords on some material. Also the drummer drums with a totall Chris feel to him.
    It is his creativity. His trademark on most of the music.
    You have talked all this riff knowledge, I am talking timing, chorus, harmonozing, melodies.

I commented on your original slash comment, your second one is more accurate. It is just funny when people on here talk all this trash on these musicians that are of good quality. Its like if your not involved in Pear Jam you suck. Your first replies are in that form, you basically said slash sucked and Mike was god.

As far as Scott he makes me sick when he talks all this crap before albums. He is right up their with singer/writer/frontman with anyone. Its his cheezyness with his personal life.
    He said the same stuff before shangraladida, it was great he couldnt handle the change in the mainstream eye and never even played any of the material on the respective tour.
    I doubt the music will sound all that differant, but it would be fine by me either way.
    His solo album 12 bar blues is good work so again your comment is silly, because that is real creative music like it or not. You are making it sound like trash when all he did was use many differant instruments, techniques, and took a really differant direction with his creativity and singing.
    It is the kind of cd to recomend.

I expected you to be more harsh, I was tuff on you so be it.

Peace

Because you write the lyrics and have some song ideas doesn't mean you write the song. The music was clearly Tom Morello. Yes, they branched out because of Cornell but, thats as far as i'd take it. I'll stick with my original comment on that one. Just for the record, I love most of Rage, Soundgarden and Audioslave. I don't need a music lesson from you either, i'm no kid first of all, i'm 22. I play 6 different instruments...have recorded two full length cds, sessioned drummed for 4 different bands. I know what melody is, I know timing, I know these things. Again, you misinterpreted my OPINION for fanboyness which is bull, i'm very objective. I'm very open minded, I love everything from Radiohead to John Mayer, etc. Hell, I LOVED Shangri La Dee Da. McCready isn't God, not by any means, damn good guitar player. Slash to me (IN MY OPINION) is waaaay overated. Aside from the 2 or 3 'classic' riffs he's written, his not some guitar legend at all. He's sloppy live and usually writes disposable riffs that fall into the same bluesy rock category. If you're not Pearl Jam, then you're just not Pearl Jam, you don't automatically suck. I've never once say anything close to that. I don't take things on a message board personal so don't worry about being 'tough'. I do however take serious offense to being called a fanboy, that's the only reason i'm still typing. Take that back and we're good to go. :)

Thanks for adding in some decent debate along with the noway, ect......kept this thread fro mthe toilet.

You don't have to kiss ass like you do to have a decent debate with a difference of opinion.
  • Because you write the lyrics and have some song ideas doesn't mean you write the song. The music was clearly Tom Morello. Yes, they branched out because of Cornell but, thats as far as i'd take it. I'll stick with my original comment on that one. Just for the record, I love most of Rage, Soundgarden and Audioslave. I don't need a music lesson from you either, i'm no kid first of all, i'm 22. I play 6 different instruments...have recorded two full length cds, sessioned drummed for 4 different bands. I know what melody is, I know timing, I know these things. Again, you misinterpreted my OPINION for fanboyness which is bull, i'm very objective. I'm very open minded, I love everything from Radiohead to John Mayer, etc. Hell, I LOVED Shangri La Dee Da. McCready isn't God, not by any means, damn good guitar player. Slash to me (IN MY OPINION) is waaaay overated. Aside from the 2 or 3 'classic' riffs he's written, his not some guitar legend at all. He's sloppy live and usually writes disposable riffs that fall into the same bluesy rock category. If you're not Pearl Jam, then you're just not Pearl Jam, you don't automatically suck. I've never once say anything close to that. I don't take things on a message board personal so don't worry about being 'tough'. I do however take serious offense to being called a fanboy, that's the only reason i'm still typing. Take that back and we're good to go. :)

You don't have to kiss ass like you do to have a decent debate with a difference of opinion.

No harm felt.
    peace.

no more shows

• You don't have to kiss ass like you do to have a decent debate with a difference of opinion.

your right.........throwing around rediculous, baseless opinions adds a lot more edge to it.......
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    If you didnt like vr, go get scotts 2 solo records, or slashes snake pit, or that country shit they did.

I have their solo/side project stuff. I didn't expect anything different when VR formed but I did expect a good rock record not an incredibly boring one.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Check out this live version of IRS. Not the greatest sound quality, but it gives you an idea of how Axl's album is going to kick the shit out of Velvet Revolver, and new rock in general.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9CUQHmPE3no
    your right.........throwing around rediculous, baseless opinions adds a lot more edge to it.......

At least I back up my opinion and stand up for it. I don't rely on kissing anybodys ass to validate it. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean its ridiculous or baseless.
  • emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    i hear libertad is gonna kick a lot of ass
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    has libertad leaked yet??? would really love to hear some new velvet stuff!!!

PS.: Axl Rose is a rotten dumb motherf+++er, honestly taking more than 12 years to make chinese democracy is a f+++ing joke!! and he's still pushing the release date??? C'mon!!!