Velvet Revolver's 'Libertad' due June 4th

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited March 2007 in Other Music
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_news/velvet_revolver_stretching_out_on_libertad.html

Should be pretty good, I hope. I thought their debut album was decent... it wasn't great, but it kept me occupied for a while at least. I'm hoping this album will feature more distinctive guitar work from Slash. Contraband had some pretty good tunes, and Scott Weiland sounded great, but Slash never really excelled in any part of it (no real "wow" moments). So hopefully Libertad will feature more intelligent and interesting music than Contraband while still maintaining that great hard-rock sound they have.

I think VR is far above Army of Anyone (which is absolutely killed by weak, annoying vocal hooks by the Filter guy) and not quite as good as Audioslave. Of course, Audioslave has 3 albums to go by, so it's kind of hard to compare.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I'm really looking forward to another Velvet Revolver myself!! It's about time a 2nd album will finally be released!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    it's really sad but after hearing that new Axl song I'm intrested in the thought that one day Chinese Democracy might come out, that and hoping VR take the cue from Audioslave
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Hopefully Axl puts out Chinese Democracy on the same day. I'm sure Axl would like nothing more than to upstage his old bandmates.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Haha didn't think it would be long before someone mentioned Axl :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the new VR record. Loved Contraband
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I love VR, thought Contraband was amazing, I really hope they play more UK dates other than Donnington though as I really didn't want to go this year.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I think they will release Chinese Democracy on the same day, there is no better promotion then the battle between old & new Guns N' Roses.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Klumpie wrote:
    I think they will release Chinese Democracy on the same day, there is no better promotion then the battle between old & new Guns N' Roses.

Velvet Revolver are not new Guns N Roses
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559

I think he meant new Guns n Roses as in Axl's band without Slash and co....

I wasnt a huge fan of the first VR cd, but Slash has always been one of my fav guitarists so ill give the new one a spin.
  • I'm looking forward to the second VR album and I did enjoy "Contraband". It was nothing earth-shattering, but certainly a very solid rock album. On the subject of Axl, I still doubt a record will actually surface.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I don't know what the big deal about Chinese Democracy is...Libertad is gonna kick it's ass when it comes out!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    DOSW wrote:
    I think VR is far above Army of Anyone (which is absolutely killed by weak, annoying vocal hooks by the Filter guy) and not quite as good as Audioslave. Of course, Audioslave has 3 albums to go by, so it's kind of hard to compare.

I think Army of Anyone's music is much better than VR. I agree, that RP is not a great singer, but the actual music on Army of Anyone's cd is in my opinion, much better. The Deleo brothers at this point just know how to right some awesome music.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Contraband was as tired and stale as any album could ever be but, I've got a pretty good feeling about Libertad.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I don't know what the big deal about Chinese Democracy is...Libertad is gonna kick it's ass when it comes out!!!

Not sure Libertad is gonna kick anything's ass, especially when considering that Contraband was rather boring. I hope the album is better than the first, I really want to like Velvet Revolver but I was so dissapointed by them. Atleast I can still go see them in concert and enjoy the GNR and STP covers they do.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I liked Contraband when it came out a lot, but it wore on me as time went on. Saw them live and all of the songs translated really well live. Slash and Scott put on a highly entertaining show and the STP covers were great. Never thought I'd have a chance to crowd surf to Crackerman, oh lucky me.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    it's really sad but after hearing that new Axl song I'm intrested in the thought that one day Chinese Democracy might come out, that and hoping VR take the cue from Audioslave

I don't! Velvet Revolver is much better than Audioslave.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Fall to Pieces has to be one of the worst abominations of man.

I miss STP.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507

They are closer to it than Axl's band of hired guns.
  • Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    Fall to Pieces has to be one of the worst abominations of man.

I miss STP.

Ditto.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755

i love how you can say its gonna kick ass without hearing one single note from the album. it could be one huge steaming pile of poo
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    I'm looking forward to the second VR album and I did enjoy "Contraband". It was nothing earth-shattering, but certainly a very solid rock album. On the subject of Axl, I still doubt a record will actually surface.

I agree with every single word in this post.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Milestone wrote:
    I agree with every single word in this post.

Thanks....Chinese Democracy has had an insane amount of supposed release dates, only to be be pushed back further. This doesn't include the high number of line-up changes. We have heard some songs (ranging from very good to poor), but if an album isn't out after 10 years it probably never will hit a record store shelf. VR weren't around for long when "Contraband" came out so I expect this album to be a more cohesive effort, with more input from Weiland particulary.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    Fall to Pieces has to be one of the worst abominations of man.

I miss STP.

Finally someone else thinks the same way I do about that song, its horrible!

I miss STP and the Axl/Slash combo.
  • *yawn*

Anyone hear about these dorks inducting Van Halen into the rock and roll hall of fame? I guess they are going to preform in place of van halen too.....

kind of funny since I never really thought of anyone in that band as VH fans.......and slash can't play as good as Eddie could so there has probably always been some envy there......

anyway......them inducting and playing for van halen sort of fits their annoying persona.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272

I miss STP.

Me too.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • DOSW wrote:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_news/velvet_revolver_stretching_out_on_libertad.html

Should be pretty good, I hope. I thought their debut album was decent... it wasn't great, but it kept me occupied for a while at least. I'm hoping this album will feature more distinctive guitar work from Slash. Contraband had some pretty good tunes, and Scott Weiland sounded great, but Slash never really excelled in any part of it (no real "wow" moments). So hopefully Libertad will feature more intelligent and interesting music than Contraband while still maintaining that great hard-rock sound they have.

I happened to see Army of one, live and they werent that bad. I like the Deleo brothers. But your right about Velvet, I thought that last album was decent. I like slash and scott.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I know its gonna be 3 yrs since VR's first record came out, but for some reason, it feels like forever. Guess these supergroups take their sweet ass time. I liked it when it came out, but since then I haven't cared as much for it. Fall to Pieces was a ridiculously bad attempt. Its was like a wanna-be sweet child of mine. Lyrics and music just really sucked.
    I miss STP too.
    And i feel like VR won't last a long time either.
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    VR weren't around for long when "Contraband" came out so I expect this album to be a more cohesive effort, with more input from Weiland particulary.

Yeah, Weiland was actually in jail or rehab when he wrote the lyrics to the music. I can't remember which.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    *yawn*

Anyone hear about these dorks inducting Van Halen into the rock and roll hall of fame? I guess they are going to preform in place of van halen too.....

kind of funny since I never really thought of anyone in that band as VH fans.......and slash can't play as good as Eddie could so there has probably always been some envy there......

anyway......them inducting and playing for van halen sort of fits their annoying persona.

Although EVH can play better, Slash plays with a lot more feel.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Although EVH can play better, Slash plays with a lot more feel.

Eddie used to be able to play better than Slash but he's apparently too messed up to do much of anything now. I'd take Slash over Eddie in a heartbeat.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    holtz wrote:
    Eddie used to be able to play better than Slash but he's apparently too messed up to do much of anything now. I'd take Slash over Eddie in a heartbeat.

I would take him over EVH ANY time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V