So now that Libertad is officially released...

2»

Comments

• pjny wrote:
    I really disliked Contraband...upon first listening to the new album, I liked it a lot...gave it a second listening today...still enjoyed it, but some songs came off less enjoyable the second time around. I'm hoping the third time's a charm...either way, A LOT of potential coming through and Weiland's voice is incredible on this record!
    I to disliked Contraband upon first hearing. Some really good songs on there now that I look back upon it.
  • The first couple of times I listened to it I was really let down, I thought Contraband was a much better record. Its starting to grow on me, its a very Weiland dominated record I think (even though he is low in the mix) as far as the sound goes....very stp like. I prefer Contraband at this stage...I do love Gravedancer.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • I only liked 5 songs on Contraband so I'm sure I won't be down with Libertad.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm really surprised how many people (including here) are thinking that Libertad is better than Contraband. I just don't see it. Yeah, the production is better, and Scott sounds better than ever IMO, but I think the songs are REALLY sub-standard. There is really nothing that blows me away. I mean yes, Gravedancer and She Builds Quick Machines are great songs, but everything else is so run of the mill. Even "The last Fight", which I'm sure will be played into the ground as a huge hit, is just OK. Like I said, Scott sounds fantastic (maybe he's finally healthy or whatever) but Slash is really missing from this record. I mean, the most memoralby melodic solo on the whole record is in American Man, which is disappointing because the rest of the song is not that good - By comparison, the best solo on Contraband was You've Got No Right, which is an amazing song. Plus there were other memorable solo's on the first album like Fall to Pieces, Slither, Big Machine, and Dirty Little Thing and so forth...I know, a solo does not make a song, but Slash did not challenge himself on this new album. With him being one of my favorite guitar players, it's disappointing. I honestly get the most enjoyment out of that goofy hidden track at the end...the band is actually challenging themselves playing C&W, and it actually works.

I'm actually surprised how many people knock Contraband, too. I thought it was a great kick in the ass when it came out.

I see what you're saying, but I think the fact that Slash isn't in the spotlight in every single song isn't a bad thing considering that the music on Libertad doesn't really lend itself to that kind of thing. The music is too fast-paced and "riffy" to really accommodate extended guitar solos. I think Slash excels on Libertad, but his awesomeness comes in his subtle interplay with Kushner rather than his usual wah-drenched solos.

By the way I also loved Contraband, but I think there were a lot more duds on that album than there are on Libertad.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    The first couple of times I listened to it I was really let down, I thought Contraband was a much better record. Its starting to grow on me, its a very Weiland dominated record I think (even though he is low in the mix) as far as the sound goes....very stp like. I prefer Contraband at this stage...I do love Gravedancer.

that's kinda how i feel right now too. but i've only heard the album once all the way through so i need to keep listening i think.
  • jninejnine Posts: 43
    I saw them last night at their "secret" show at the Whiskey and the new songs are great live, particularly Get Out the Door. I think the cd is one that grows on you the more you listen to it, although I can't understand the inclusion of the ELO cover when Psycho Killer is a much better cover and Messages is a better original song. I guess they thought it fit in better thematically. They didn't do it at the Whiskey, but they did at their Avalon club show and I thought it was just for fun, I was pretty surprised it made the cd.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I agree with DOSW on Slash's guitar work...I was pretty happy to not hear a speedy, vaguely metal-esque solo in every song. The solos in songs like "THe Last Fight","American Man" and especially "Grave Dancer" are very melodic and very fitting. He's doing some very cool, subtle augmenting in these songs instead of just flat out showing off.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    vedderfan6 wrote:
    Thats a good thing because STP were a kick ass band.

Oh and by the way kick ass CD.

Loved STP, believe me. I've got every album and I think Weiland is brilliant in coming up with melodies, but I guess my point was only that I had higher hopes for a Weiland / Slash combination than a re-vamped STP sounding band. These songs sound very little like Slash's best work while in GNR.
    His solos on Contraband were excellent, but this album....I don't know...just bores the shit out of me.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Never really heard Velvet Revolver before. I'm only a passive fan of GnR and Stone Temple Pilots, but I saw Libertad in the shops so I thought I might as well try it out. Very surprised: I always viewed Velvet Revolver as a very coperate, just-in-it-for-the-money band (the VH1 audition thing, the eratic stage clothing) but I think this record is very, very good. I literally can't get She Builds Quick Machines out of my head. It's got a great hard rocking sound and the lead singers vocals are brilliant.

Think you've got a convertor here!
  • D.C.D.C. Posts: 20
    this cd is a gigantic pile of shit, not as bad as cornells solo, but close
  • D.C. wrote:
    this cd is a gigantic pile of shit, not as bad as cornells solo, but close

finally someone has the balls to expose the truth
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Whats the dvd on the special edition like??

Is it worth getting??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    muppet wrote:
    Never really heard Velvet Revolver before. I'm only a passive fan of GnR and Stone Temple Pilots, but I saw Libertad in the shops so I thought I might as well try it out. Very surprised: I always viewed Velvet Revolver as a very coperate, just-in-it-for-the-money band (the VH1 audition thing, the eratic stage clothing) but I think this record is very, very good. I literally can't get She Builds Quick Machines out of my head. It's got a great hard rocking sound and the lead singers vocals are brilliant.

Think you've got a convertor here!

Cool man! Check out Contraband too after you've absorbed Libertad fully.
  • I also ordered the deluxe edition from Best Buy...but haven't gotten it yet. Anyone who did get...have you watched the DVD yet? Is it good? Has anyone ever seen them live? I've heard mixed reviews about them live; instrumentally they're very good, though fall short vocally. I can't wait to see them with AIC!!! Is that like a dream come true or what?

I saw them live last summer at the mid state fair and they were far better than i was expecting - IMO weiland sounds better live than on record (at this point - not compared to STP stuff) and he has an incredible stage presence (he acts like mick jagger on stage) They played almost all of contraband along with a few stp/gnr tunes and two great covers of roadhouse blues and wish you were here . . . . the best part live tho is obviously Slash - kicks ass as always!
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The deluxe edition with the dvd is worth getting imo. A bunch of live songs and a few short interviews.

I'm liking this album more and more. Gravedancer will be a big hit in the Fall To Pieces kind of way. I think Mary Mary and Let It Roll will be singles.

Looking forward to seeing them with Alice In Chains. Even a fake AIC is a pretty good opening act.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Album of the year hands fucking down. Vr kick ass best rock band going today.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I enjoyed Libertad quite a bit, and I have to agree that Gravedancer is top notch!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Album of the year hands fucking down. Vr kick ass best rock band going today.

Libertad can't even qualify as "Album of the day"
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Libertad can't even qualify as "Album of the day"

False.