So now that Libertad is officially released...

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2007 in Other Music
What do you think of it?

I went out to Best Buy this morning and picked up the special edition that came with a bonus DVD. I haven't heard much from it before except for a live performance of a few songs on the interweb (I didn't listen to the leak either). I gotta say that I'm very satisfied. It's basically what I've been expecting.... and considering I've been expecting A LOT out of this new album, I really like it. A few songs seem kind of bland and unoriginal, but for the most part it's one hell of a rock album. Listening to it kind of feels like a punch to the gut- in a good way, of course. :D And naturally Brendan O'Brien NAILED the production on this one. It's amazing what good production can do... Contraband would have been a lot better if he were behind that too. And no exaggeration here... I can't think of many better hard-rock songs than 'She Builds Quick Machines' that have been made in the last decade.

I'd say the main problems with the album are it's lyrics (a lot of them are on the Van Halen or AC/DC level) and that sometimes the song structures are repeated too often... verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus is too predictable at times.

I can't wait to get home from work and listen to it some more. Musically it's a lot deeper than you would think. I also can't wait to see them and AiC at the Tweeter Center in August. That will be one hell of a way to end the summer.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love it! I'd give it a 8.5/10 personally.
  • It's better than Contraband, and I loved Contraband. It's the Purple of 2007 in some respects. Least that's what I'm hearing.. 9.5/10.

Best track: The Last Fight
    Worst track: Spay
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Had no clue that Velvet Revolver were actually releasing another album and for sure had no clue it came out today.
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    I picked it up during lunch today, but have only gotten thru Pills, Demons & Etc. I've got some driving around to do this evening, so I'll be able to listen to it at least twice while in the car. So far, it is as good as Contraband, but that one took me a few listens before I was really digging it, so I'm expecting it to take a couple days before I am really in to Libertad as well....
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Its good but not great, way better than Contraband, which really isn't saying much as that record sucked. THe only song I really don't like is American Man, the ELO cover though is kinda pointless.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    It's not as good as I thought it would be.

There are a few tunes that I like ( Pills,Demons / For a Brother ) but it's basically just Contraband re-worked into a few new songs.

What I was hoping for was a Slash dominated album that brought me back to the Use your Illusion days, but I don't feel he made his mark on this one, and it's basically about as good as most of the STP albums, which is fine, but I wanted a little more.

The song " This fight, or last fight whatever, could be a huge , huge radio hit in the near future.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • r2g2r2g2 Posts: 66
    subpar at best.
    I said Yeaaaaaaah!
  • TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    I really enjoyed it, it is as good as Contraband but totally different. this album seems to groove much more. Let it Roll, She Mine, Get Out the Door, SBQM, Last Fight, Just Sixteen, Spay, and Gravedancer are the album highlights for me. Let it Roll is a great song to open a album with. and Gravedancer is a great way to close it. Kind of a Kitchenware and Candybars slow melodic vibe to it, Brenen O'Brian always knows what songs to open and close with. American Man is the only real filler on the album ,the other songs are ok and will probably grow on me. But def a great album from a great band

9.2/10-a few songs away from a true modern rock masterpiece
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    DOSW wrote:
    What do you think of it?

I went out to Best Buy this morning and picked up the special edition that came with a bonus DVD. I haven't heard much from it before except for a live performance of a few songs on the interweb (I didn't listen to the leak either). I gotta say that I'm very satisfied. It's basically what I've been expecting.... and considering I've been expecting A LOT out of this new album, I really like it. A few songs seem kind of bland and unoriginal, but for the most part it's one hell of a rock album. Listening to it kind of feels like a punch to the gut- in a good way, of course. :D And naturally Brendan O'Brien NAILED the production on this one. It's amazing what good production can do... Contraband would have been a lot better if he were behind that too. And no exaggeration here... I can't think of many better hard-rock songs than 'She Builds Quick Machines' that have been made in the last decade.

I'd say the main problems with the album are it's lyrics (a lot of them are on the Van Halen or AC/DC level) and that sometimes the song structures are repeated too often... verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus is too predictable at times.

I can't wait to get home from work and listen to it some more. Musically it's a lot deeper than you would think. I also can't wait to see them and AiC at the Tweeter Center in August. That will be one hell of a way to end the summer.

I also ordered the deluxe edition from Best Buy...but haven't gotten it yet. Anyone who did get...have you watched the DVD yet? Is it good? Has anyone ever seen them live? I've heard mixed reviews about them live; instrumentally they're very good, though fall short vocally. I can't wait to see them with AIC!!! Is that like a dream come true or what?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I really wanted to like it but it's just not that good. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and I was bored of it within a couple days. It's back to waiting for "Chinese Democracy" for me.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Libertad kicks fucking ass. Great songs from start to finish. As good as Contraband to early to tell. But everyone go out and get it. Vr put on one of the best live shows you'll see. Scotts voice n dancing are amazing, plus Slash we all know how great he is. This is the best album of the year hands down.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm picking it up tomorrow. Damn I wish I could go see them in Montreal.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Upon first listen I'd say that it is good, but doesn't have the songwriting of Contraband. On the other hand, the production seems to be better... thanks to Brendan.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    I also ordered the deluxe edition from Best Buy...but haven't gotten it yet. Anyone who did get...have you watched the DVD yet? Is it good? Has anyone ever seen them live? I've heard mixed reviews about them live; instrumentally they're very good, though fall short vocally. I can't wait to see them with AIC!!! Is that like a dream come true or what?

Yeah, is it worth buying the DVD version.

Whats the DVD like??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    After listening to Libertad a little more, the only song that I'm not really digging is She Mine, which I can't stand because of it's god-awful chorus. But on the other hand, almost every other song is getting better as I get more familiar with them.

Bottom line, this album kicks serious ass. Played out of good speakers at LOUD volumes it's like pure bliss. It's the perfect summer album imo.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

The bonus DVD is pretty cool considering it's only $5 extra. It's about a half hour long, includes live performances of a few songs in South America and a lot of behind the scenes stuff. It kinda sucks that they don't have Slither on it though... you can tell they played it because when they walk off stage you can hear the siren blaring.

Check out this video to understand why I'm upset Slither isn't on the DVD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS93PUjjhAg

:D
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Picked up a copy on holiday and from what I've heard of it, only bits, it seems very good.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i like it though there are surely some weak links (as there were on any STP album and GNR album)

Now, speaking as someone who loves STP and is not as big a fan of GNR, i like the hints of Scott's past that are coming through here. "American Man" sounds more like an STP rock song which is cool. Really dig some of the straight up rock songs, even though they are very by-the-numbers in a way. "Let It Roll" is great. "She Mine" and "Get Out the Door" are solid. "Mary Mary" is extremely infectious. The ELO cover is an odd choice and I'm disappointed they put that on the album.

I have to say though, "Gravedance" is amazing. Absolute peak of the album. Really blew me away. Again, reminds me of STP. I hope Weiland goes more in this direction later on with his solo album and whatever he does next.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    VR are beginning to sound more and more like a re-incarnation of STP, and I wish they sounded more like Guns N Roses, personally.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Just watched the DVD, its cool.

Listening to the record now, pretty solid stuff! I'll have a full review soon enough!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    it wasnt really what i was expecting...it didn't blow me away, but i gotta admit that it does kick ass.
    i'll have to listen to it a few more times through before i make my final decision though ;)
  • I'm really surprised how many people (including here) are thinking that Libertad is better than Contraband. I just don't see it. Yeah, the production is better, and Scott sounds better than ever IMO, but I think the songs are REALLY sub-standard. There is really nothing that blows me away. I mean yes, Gravedancer and She Builds Quick Machines are great songs, but everything else is so run of the mill. Even "The last Fight", which I'm sure will be played into the ground as a huge hit, is just OK. Like I said, Scott sounds fantastic (maybe he's finally healthy or whatever) but Slash is really missing from this record. I mean, the most memoralby melodic solo on the whole record is in American Man, which is disappointing because the rest of the song is not that good - By comparison, the best solo on Contraband was You've Got No Right, which is an amazing song. Plus there were other memorable solo's on the first album like Fall to Pieces, Slither, Big Machine, and Dirty Little Thing and so forth...I know, a solo does not make a song, but Slash did not challenge himself on this new album. With him being one of my favorite guitar players, it's disappointing. I honestly get the most enjoyment out of that goofy hidden track at the end...the band is actually challenging themselves playing C&W, and it actually works.

I'm actually surprised how many people knock Contraband, too. I thought it was a great kick in the ass when it came out.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    So for this new album do they implement that shitty copyright technology? I'm so fucking pissed that my Contraband can't be copied for my car stereo. What a fuck!
  • Could someone please PM me Gravedancer? It's the only song on the album I really like, and iTunes are only selling it as part of the album.:(
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Album of the year!!!

I was a huge VR fan since day one. I loved Contraband, and I didn't think it would be possible to make a better album then that. And they blew me away with Libertad. Its amazing.

Just Sixteen, Mary Mary, and For A Brother are my favourite tracks.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    bestsane wrote:
    So for this new album do they implement that shitty copyright technology? I'm so fucking pissed that my Contraband can't be copied for my car stereo. What a fuck!
    NO, thank God they did not. I actually emailed their management company and tore them a new one about it. Never received a response but I think that copyright crap is pretty much a thing of the past.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    LedZepFan wrote:
    I have to say though, "Gravedance" is amazing. Absolute peak of the album. Really blew me away. Again, reminds me of STP. I hope Weiland goes more in this direction later on with his solo album and whatever he does next.
    I whole heartedly agree with this. Great, great song. The album is growing on me with every listen, only twice but I think she's a keeper. Can't wait to see them out on the road. The iTines version has two additional songs I may buy, one a cover of Talking Head's Psycho Killer.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • DCGARDEN wrote:
    VR are beginning to sound more and more like a re-incarnation of STP, and I wish they sounded more like Guns N Roses, personally.

Thats a good thing because STP were a kick ass band.

Oh and by the way kick ass CD.
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    I'm really liking Last Fight and American Man right now.
  • I really disliked Contraband...upon first listening to the new album, I liked it a lot...gave it a second listening today...still enjoyed it, but some songs came off less enjoyable the second time around. I'm hoping the third time's a charm...either way, A LOT of potential coming through and Weiland's voice is incredible on this record!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)