Options

AC / DC & Wal Mart???

2»

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    pjny wrote:
    Apprarently not, or exclusive distribution wouldn't be around anymore, let alone thriving. What it's bad for is the record stores themselves, but reality is that record stores represent such a tiny percentage of mainstream music sales nowadays that their ability to exist is barely a consideration anymore.

Most consumers are concerned only with price and availability, and big boxes like Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Circuit City provide widespread availability and low prices. Unfortunately, a record store that needs to profit off a CD sale to survive can't compete with a company that uses the same CD as a loss-leader.

Record stores need to adapt to survive...focus on indies, used inventory, collector's items, etc. But there's no turning back at this point...record stores are virtually meaningless for large distribution records, so they're an afterthought. And the people who can make a difference - the consumer - doesn't care.

good points, but Im afraid its only a matter of time before record stores are completely gone

specialty stores like you mentioned will have a hard time outside of major cities and the rents in the major cities will make it tough to make a profit.

Its only a matter of time before its 100% online (not necessary digital-but online sales)
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    ewokpelts wrote:
    When the eagle record dropped, billboard estimated that 10% of sales were indie record stores buying the cds at wal-mart to sell at thier stores, as the full price of 11.88 was still cheaper than if they ordered the record from a traditional label.

I suspect this will happen, as well as people buying the record to sell on ebay.

I'm an AC/DC fan, so I'll just pick up the damm thing at wal-mart. I'll probably steal a pack of gum to make myself feel better.
    One of local indie stores bought a bunch of 'em from Wal-Mart...but only if a customer asked them to do it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Fuck them. They lost my respect. This, in a way, is worse than Chris Cornell doing pop music.

AC/DC are dead to me, now.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    .....And to think I waited on AC/DC and road crew off of the *Fly On The Wall* World Tour. Everybody EXcept Angus Young, he wouldn't step foot off of that bus. Didn't like that album but they did rock the Hampton Coliseum in VA.

Now This, I gather Money Talks.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,147
    tybird wrote:
    One of local indie stores bought a bunch of 'em from Wal-Mart...but only if a customer asked them to do it.

Fuck talk about rubbing salt in the wound .....that has to brutal for the indie to know he is helping generate profit for Wal Mart by buying it from them for resale!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

That doesn't even make since.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Fuck talk about rubbing salt in the wound .....that has to brutal for the indie to know he is helping generate profit for Wal Mart by buying it from them for resale!
    He was a great retailer....he cared more about keeping his customers satisfied than giving Wal-Mart money. He closed on 12/31/07...he didn't want to sign a new five year lease....because he believed that the business, despite any effort he made, could go that long.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    That doesn't even make since.
    A regular customer comes in....wants the new Eagles cd....he takes an order, drives to Wal-Mart after he closes....buys the needed number of Eagles cds...marks them up....sells them to his customer....simply good customer service.
  • Options
    westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Fuck them. They lost my respect. This, in a way, is worse than Chris Cornell doing pop music.

AC/DC are dead to me, now.

I feel the same way. Can you imagine. Wal-Mart will probably have input on the CD cover, so its not offensive, etc. Blah!
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    A regular customer comes in....wants the new Eagles cd....he takes an order, drives to Wal-Mart after he closes....buys the needed number of Eagles cds...marks them up....sells them to his customer....simply good customer service.

No, I get that. I think that's awesome that someone would do that. I guess I was looking at it from the perspective that someone hates walmart so much that they refused to give them business, but are still giving them business.
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    ACDC probalby makes more money off merchandise anyways, considering that they have tshirts for sale at walmat, target, kohls, sears, ect.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    its all about the benjamins these days

as much as i dont like it when bands do this, they have to do what they have to do to make some money from the album.

with the state of the music idustry these days, bands dont make a ton from their music.

it sucks, but we can kinds of blame our selves for this really.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    i am not a fan of this - i love AC/DC and i understand wanting to make as much money as possible but, there is just something about when bands do things like this that really rubs me the wrong way................oh well looks like i will be shopping at Wal-Mart at least once this year
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I'm a bit lost at the negative reaction to this. Is it because wal-mart is a shit company with shit pay and benifits ect ect or is it because there is only one place you can obtain a copy?
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    mole1985 wrote:
    I'm a bit lost at the negative reaction to this. Is it because wal-mart is a shit company with shit pay and benifits ect ect or is it because there is only one place you can obtain a copy?
    probably both.

i'm upset, but this ensures acdc gets promoted in the new marketplace. so what can you do?
  • Options
    Ac/Dc sucked even when they were cool.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Options
    I was a little bummed when I heard this too (to be honest im not really sure why tho) but i am happy that the boys will finally have new material out.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    it's official.

Only at walmart/sams club/ http://www.acdc.com
  • Options
    YUP saw that ... my friend bought it for her husband
  • Options
    Yeah but the fans who want this record get a good price...
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    azwyldcats wrote:
    Yeah but the fans who want this record get a good price...

indeed!

and for a time tested, road proven act like acdc i could care less how they deliver what potentially might be their last cd ever...

if they win then im happy ;)
  • Options
    Plus Walmart guaranteed to buy like 3 mil copies, even if are not sold, good for AC/DC.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    i dont really have that much of a problem with this - they are in it to make as much money as they can and walmart guaranteed to buy a ton of copies regardless of sales - it kind of sucks b/c you cant get it wherever you want but, its still available on their site and i can fault a band for getting as much money as they can b/c i would probably do the same thing
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    i ordered at the acdc site. picked up the deluxe version and the vinyl.