Options

AC / DC & Wal Mart???

HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
edited July 2008 in Other Music
http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/ACDC+Gives+Exclusive+Deal+to+WalMart/newsandfeatures/contentposting_news?isfa=1&newsitemid=22654&feedname=BUM_MUSIC_NEWS_EN&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

AC/DC Gives Exclusive Deal to Wal-Mart

BE interactive
Wal-Mart stores will be the exclusive distributors of the next album from AC/DC.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the Australian band, AC/DC, has signed a deal to sell their upcoming disc exclusively at Wal-Mart stores. The album, being produced by Brendan O'Brien, will be released this fall.

AC/DC is the latest group to sign such a deal with the retail giant. Garth Brooks and the Eagles also inked deals with Wal-Mart.

The upcoming, yet-untitled AC/DC disc marks the return of the rock band to the music scene. Their last album, Stiff Upper Lip, was released in 2000. A tour is also planned to promote the CD.
Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I look down on any band that does this
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Angus, say it ain't so!

They should title that album "Money Grab."
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    its all about the benjamins these days
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options

Sad but true! .....as long as we don't hear about Brendan's next release only being available via Wal Mart!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    That's the most un-rock 'n roll thing I have ever heard.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    I guess the Wal-Mart exclusive version of the recent DVD set proved to be worthwhile for Wal-Mart.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    The Rolling Stones did this crap with Best Buy a few years ago.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It has made the Eagles, Garth Brooks and Journey boatloads of $$$$....that's all the reason they need.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Sad but true! .....as long as we don't hear about Brendan's next release only being available via Wal Mart!!!

I doubt they would do that ...

i was working in a record store a few years back when Elton John did that exclusive future shop thing and we pulled all of his stuff from the store because of it, its juts bad business practices.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    As do I! This makes me sad that AC/DC would sign a crappy deal like this.

I was really stoked about their upcoming album too.
  • Options
    I doubt they would do that ...

i was working in a record store a few years back when Elton John did that exclusive future shop thing and we pulled all of his stuff from the store because of it, its juts bad business practices.

Its pretty sad to see in general what has happened to the retail end of music sales A&B sound use to be a happening place to go with a lot of energy especially the downtown store on a Saturday .......now its a ghost town!

This excerpt from a recent news story tells it best

http://www.canada.com/langleyadvance/news/story.html?id=3bb8f928-3c26-4a46-a1fd-a259a55f3e69

The record, CD and consumer electronics store founded by the Steiner family in 1959 has gone from a 21-store chain with 800 employees throughout western Canada three years ago to a nine-store company with 300 employees in B.C. and Alberta.

Even the future of the onetime Vancouver flagship store at 556 Seymour appears uncertain as A&B held a 50-per-cent-off "moving sale" at the location last week and retail space at the two-level store now is restricted to just one floor. A&B has operated there since 1965.
  • Options
    its juts bad business practices.

Apprarently not, or exclusive distribution wouldn't be around anymore, let alone thriving. What it's bad for is the record stores themselves, but reality is that record stores represent such a tiny percentage of mainstream music sales nowadays that their ability to exist is barely a consideration anymore.

Most consumers are concerned only with price and availability, and big boxes like Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Circuit City provide widespread availability and low prices. Unfortunately, a record store that needs to profit off a CD sale to survive can't compete with a company that uses the same CD as a loss-leader.

Record stores need to adapt to survive...focus on indies, used inventory, collector's items, etc. But there's no turning back at this point...record stores are virtually meaningless for large distribution records, so they're an afterthought. And the people who can make a difference - the consumer - doesn't care.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    They gotta do what they gotta do, but I will not be buying it. I won't step foot in walmart
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Ziggy Marley did this with Target and I just waited and bought it used elsewhere. What may this tell ya, well this album maynot be ALL THAT. Considering they need a gaurantee income before this album hits the selves.

Speaking of money I was out in my shed today looking for a tool and in a bottle I came across this ACDC Dollar Bill from the song MONEY TALKS.

I gather they're following what they sing and write about. I'll wait and buy it used IF it's worth listening too. This is NOT the most brilliant of ideas, it sucks.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I guess that means AC/DC is going to be pirated.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    This is a sound business move IMO. The physical CD market is dying a quick death. Digital downloads are quickly rising to the top. As much as many do not like Walmart, everyone complains about prices and maneuvers like this keeps the prices down.

As mentioned before, The Rolling Stones did this with their last two DVD releases and the sales were significant. The marketing power of Best Buy drove their sales. I can only assume that The Eagles (whom I hate) and Garth Brooks seen similar success. It's actually very good business. I still use the local record shop (or whats left of them) for rare collector items and indie/local bands, but I buy my cds (the few that I buy) from the big retailers to save money
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Ziggy Marley did this with Target and I just waited and bought it used elsewhere. What may this tell ya, well this album maynot be ALL THAT. Considering they need a gaurantee income before this album hits the selves.

Speaking of money I was out in my shed today looking for a tool and in a bottle I came across this AC/DC Dollar Bill from the song MONEY TALKS.

I gather they're following what they sing and write about. I'll wait and buy it used IF it's worth listening too. This is NOT the most brilliant of ideas, it sucks.

Peace

.....And my 11 year old and her friend want me to take them when they go on tour. Wait till I tell her about this cause I don't ever shop at Wall Mart.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    g under p wrote:

Speaking of money I was out in my shed today looking for a tool and in a bottle I came across this ACDC Dollar Bill from the song MONEY TALKS.

Peace

I have that Ziggy Marley CD, such a great album. I do not see much wrong with selling records at Target or Best Buy but I would never buy anything from Walmart. I guess this does not concern me all that much anyways because I can listen to ACDC for a total of 10 minutes before I am incredibly annoyed.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i wo't be buying it now. Wal Mart is probably the worst thing to happen to the American economy. I'm a huge ac/dc fan but i'm not giving my money to that store.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    pjny wrote:
    Apprarently not, or exclusive distribution wouldn't be around anymore, let alone thriving. What it's bad for is the record stores themselves, but reality is that record stores represent such a tiny percentage of mainstream music sales nowadays that their ability to exist is barely a consideration anymore.

Most consumers are concerned only with price and availability, and big boxes like Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Circuit City provide widespread availability and low prices. Unfortunately, a record store that needs to profit off a CD sale to survive can't compete with a company that uses the same CD as a loss-leader.

Record stores need to adapt to survive...focus on indies, used inventory, collector's items, etc. But there's no turning back at this point...record stores are virtually meaningless for large distribution records, so they're an afterthought. And the people who can make a difference - the consumer - doesn't care.

I agree with this. some good points!

bottomline for me is that after 30+ years ac/dc can do whatever the F they want. at this point in their career they got no one to report to, especially me. good for them. i hope they make a shit load of cash!
  • Options
    augustwest wrote:
    I agree with this. some good points!

bottomline for me is that after 30+ years ac/dc can do whatever the F they want. at this point in their career they got no one to report to, especially me. good for them. i hope they make a shit load of cash!

Hey do you think to promote the release the Sr citizen greeters will be outfitted with AC / DC buttons
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Hey do you think to promote the release the Sr citizen greeters will be outfitted with AC / DC buttons

for those about to rock

we salute you ;)
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Courtesy of fanch75's recent post in the porch...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...-corporations/
    Stuff White People Like
    #82 Hating Corporations
    March 5, 2008 by clander

One of the more popular white person activities of the past fifteen years is attempting to educate others on the evils of multi-national corporations. White people love nothing more than explaining to you how Wal*Mart, McDonalds, Microsoft, Halliburton are destroying the Earth’s culture and resources.

While the growth of multi-national corporations can be attributed to a number of complex social, economic and political factors, many white people prefer to take the word of two trusted sources: No Logo and AdBusters.

Published in 2000, No Logo has been responsible for more white person “enlightenment” than any book since the burning of the library at Alexandria. By reading this one magic book, white people are able to get a full grasp on the evils of multi-national corporations and then regurgitate it to friends and family.

Advanced white people will supplement No Logo with a subscription to AdBusters, where they will learn how to subvert corporate culture and return it to the masses. Specifically, this means taking ads and redoing them to give a negative message about a product. Apparently the belief is that when other people see this ad, they will be hit with an epiphany that their entire existence has been a Matrix-style manufactured universe.

If you plan to engage in lengthy conversations or get high with white people it is recommended that you read No Logo or one issue of AdBusters. Failing that, it is acceptable to buy a copy to leave on your coffee table. When white people see it, they will recognize you as someone who can see through the advertising and has a proper perspective on life.

When engaging in a conversation about corporate evils it is important to NEVER, EVER mention Apple Computers, Target or Ikea in the same breath as the companies mentioned earlier. White people prefer to hate corporations that don’t make stuff that they like.

Following these simple steps can help you gain the trust and respect of white people in a relatively short period of time.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    perhaps it wouldnt be if there was less music being copied ilegally

I dont blame them one bit
    I will blame them if the concert tix are more than $100 though
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    If you shop at Sam's Club, the cd will be there. Wal-Mart OWNS Sam's Club.

I se eplenty of people that refuse to go into walk-mart yet happily spend $40 a year to be a sam's member.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    A question, does this mean its not available on itunes? If not, how does this help the music industry and their fight against illegal downloading, now your just making it even harder to obtain music. I buy a lot off itunes and probably would have bought this off itunes, but not at wal mart.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    A question, does this mean its not available on itunes? If not, how does this help the music industry and their fight against illegal downloading, now your just making it even harder to obtain music. I buy a lot off itunes and probably would have bought this off itunes, but not at wal mart.
    AC/DC is literally one of the few remaining "superstar bands" to NOT be on itunes. Them, the beatles, and maybe abba.
  • Options
    ewokpelts wrote:
    If you shop at Sam's Club, the cd will be there. Wal-Mart OWNS Sam's Club.

I se eplenty of people that refuse to go into walk-mart yet happily spend $40 a year to be a sam's member.

That is absolutely the truth. I worked at Sam's Club some years ago part time and many people do exactly what you said. Costco or BJ's is where I shop for bulk items. My used cd store will have this cd in no time and if it;s any good I'lll get it.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    That is absolutely the truth. I worked at Sam's Club some years ago part time and many people do exactly what you said. Costco or BJ's is where I shop for bulk items. My used cd store will have this cd in no time and if it;s any good I'lll get it.

Peace
    When the eagle record dropped, billboard estimated that 10% of sales were indie record stores buying the cds at wal-mart to sell at thier stores, as the full price of 11.88 was still cheaper than if they ordered the record from a traditional label.

I suspect this will happen, as well as people buying the record to sell on ebay.

I'm an AC/DC fan, so I'll just pick up the damm thing at wal-mart. I'll probably steal a pack of gum to make myself feel better.