Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

2»

Comments

• soulsinging,

the fact you misunderstood my post completely is something i can overlook, but im just gonna explain, i went out of my to explain that i wasnt early to MM myself, and the crux of my post was meant to be on the retroactive fans(such as myself) find it easier to crtiticize a whole body of work that is heard in a shoirt period of time rather than the actual amount it germinated in..

i just found it interesting that people say its a return to form, or its not as good as their old stuff when everything suggests that a fair chunk of people were not even there when that stuff came out..

i wasnt on a highhorse, but its a hard point to make without appearing i am

anyway great album.. they got a great catalogue of songs now, but it still dont get much better than "edit the sad parts.."
  • First MM song I heard was "Broke" (shortly followed by "workin on leavin the livin" and "other people's lives" - on a mix someone gave me). I've been addicted to them ever since.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    am i the only one who rather liked "good news"? granted, lonesome crowded west and moon and antartica were better, but i like the last one more than this is a long drive...

im intrigued by this new one though.

I love Good News. There are some fantastic songs on there. World at Large, The View, Black Cadillacs, The Good Times are Killing Me. . .

The Moon and Antarctica is definitely their best album, but I love Good News just as much as Lonesome Crowded West.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    soulsinging,

the fact you misunderstood my post completely is something i can overlook, but im just gonna explain, i went out of my to explain that i wasnt early to MM myself, and the crux of my post was meant to be on the retroactive fans(such as myself) find it easier to crtiticize a whole body of work that is heard in a shoirt period of time rather than the actual amount it germinated in..

i just found it interesting that people say its a return to form, or its not as good as their old stuff when everything suggests that a fair chunk of people were not even there when that stuff came out..

i wasnt on a highhorse, but its a hard point to make without appearing i am

anyway great album.. they got a great catalogue of songs now, but it still dont get much better than "edit the sad parts.."

fair enough, just seemed like you were going out of your way to point out how you knew about them before everybody else and that annoys me usually. my bad. i do see your point... ive done that with bands before (kinda doing it now with decemberists) and sometimes it is tough to give 3-4 early albums a chance when you've just gotten turned on to the latest one.

im really intrigued by this album.
  • i can't turn this off...it's fantastic!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    it's true.. i really didn't like the last album aside from 2 songs.. and i LOVE their old shit.. Lonesome Crowded West especially... and this album I actually am digging!!!

I loved Johnny Marr in the Smiths and he basically completes this bands sound on this album.. they sound so much more developed now!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Yeah... I must admit that I did learn of Modest Mouse when Good News came out, but I did go back and get their whole catalogue... even their EP stuff. I must admit that at first I didn't pay much attention, but lately... they've been the number one band I listen to (even over my favorite band... well maybe not, but ya know)... seriously though, Trailer Trash is sooooo fucking good. That song is just amazing. And I will be replaying this new album a lot. It's going to take a little while to get used to.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • bharQ wrote:
    I loved Johnny Marr in the Smiths and he basically completes this bands sound on this album.. they sound so much more developed now!
    Definetly. I'm half way through it and already I'm sensing that this is their best work to date.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    alright, enough teasing ya bastards... where can a guy find this?
  • alright, enough teasing ya bastards... where can a guy find this?

I second that!!

Come on- it would be a great start to the weekend!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • its on oink, guys
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times