Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

off_the_recordoff_the_record Posts: 843
edited February 2007 in Other Music
album of the year so far. goddamn, this is FANTASTIC.
Cheat the odds that made you
Brave to try to gamble at times
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• is it out? :eek:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Spill. Where's the leak?
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • what noise does a pig make?
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    what noise does a pig make?

Just checked out the site, and while I have heard of it, I've never been invited to join.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I can't make that little piggy noise.

HELP!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Just listened to Dashboard on their website. I like it a lot!
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • amazing album... little motel is fucking gorgeous, but for the most part we have got manic issac at his insan-est.. great guitar playing.. umm get your hands on this one, its great..

the link i used is now dead, but its out there...
  • i dont think there is a single song on here i dont like
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    All I gotta say is MMMMMMMMMMM!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dont hype it up too much for me or ill be disappointed ;)
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Can't wait for this record!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • when is it supposed to hit stores?
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Thank God. I felt they were on a downward spiral with their last 2 albums.
    Johny Marr to the rescue.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i want to hear! and i agree about their last two. nothing compared to lonesome crowded west or moon over antarctica.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    kdpjam wrote:
    i want to hear! and i agree about their last two. nothing compared to lonesome crowded west or moon over antarctica.

LCW was one of my favorite albums of all time.

Ever listen to "This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About"?
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Lonesome Crowded West is my favorite Modest Mouse album, fuck, that albums is so fucking amazing. This new one's gonna take a while to grow on me. It's extremely different... it doesn't have the typical "Modest Mouse" sound, yunderstand? Ya know, the typical sound... the guitar sound? It's hard for me to explain... I would think Modest Mouse fans know what I'm talking about. And thanks to the guy that gave me the CD.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    LCW was one of my favorite albums of all time.

Ever listen to "This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About"?

oh yeah! great one ;]
    kdpjam wrote:

wasnt moon or antartica one of their last 2 albums?
    wasnt moon or antartica one of their last 2 albums?

I wasn't gonna quibble but, yeah.

i stand corrected. i just didn't care for their last one too much
    kdpjam wrote:
    i stand corrected. i just didn't care for their last one too much

I knew what you meant bro. Also,I think they may have put out a compilation in between the last two proper albums.

am i the only one who rather liked "good news"? granted, lonesome crowded west and moon and antartica were better, but i like the last one more than this is a long drive...

im intrigued by this new one though.
  • no probs blind melon

im always interested to seewhen people actually started to listen to MM, i got into them when m& A came out and there were not many people hearing them at all, they seem to have a lot of retroactive fans.. i think its easyier to be critical of a band when you might have ingested there whole catalogue in a week (with the aid of d/loads etc) than the span of their actual career...

it seems like a lot of people bout good news and to a lesser extent moon and worked back from there..

no problem with it, i just remeber talking mmodest mouse on here about 4 years ago, and know one really having any idea who they were...
    i knew about them in 99......
    no probs blind melon

im always interested to seewhen people actually started to listen to MM, i got into them when m& A came out and there were not many people hearing them at all, they seem to have a lot of retroactive fans.. i think its easyier to be critical of a band when you might have ingested there whole catalogue in a week (with the aid of d/loads etc) than the span of their actual career...

it seems like a lot of people bout good news and to a lesser extent moon and worked back from there..

no problem with it, i just remeber talking mmodest mouse on here about 4 years ago, and know one really having any idea who they were...

I discovered them from a C.M.J (college music journal) writeup of "Lonesome Crowded West" back in 97. They compared them to The Pixies, so I checked them out. I loved it and within a month I bought the rest of their K and Up records releases. I saw them for the first time in may of 97 and became a huge supporter. If you check their setlist website(the fan page, no longer updated) and look under 5/20/00 you will see Blister in the sun(sang by an audience member) That was me, drunk off of my ass.

no probs blind melon

wow, how hip of you.

i think i bought antartica and good news at the same time, on a friend's recommendation, then worked back. never much took to long drive, but lonesome crowded west is their best. so where does that leave me?

fans that think anything produced during a band's "popular" era is automatically weaker than the stuff they did before/after such popularity are so annoying. it's like the pearl jam fans who swear riot act is better than ten or vs. or the modest mouse fans who say good news sucks becos a lot of people liked it and the fruit that ate itself will always be their best.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    wow, how hip of you.

i think i bought antartica and good news at the same time, on a friend's recommendation, then worked back. never much took to long drive, but lonesome crowded west is their best. so where does that leave me?

fans that think anything produced during a band's "popular" era is automatically weaker than the stuff they did before/after such popularity are so annoying. it's like the pearl jam fans who swear riot act is better than ten or vs. or the modest mouse fans who say good news sucks becos a lot of people liked it and the fruit that ate itself will always be their best.

I like riot act better than ten but that's because i think ten is overplayed and teh production blows, anyways reason I came on here was to thank the original poster for the heads up
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I like riot act better than ten but that's because i think ten is overplayed and teh production blows, anyways reason I came on here was to thank the original poster for the heads up

hehe, i was misleading there... cos riot act is the only album i like less than ten, solely becos of the production ;) i just wanted to rant about people who act like they're too cool to like the popular releases by a band.
  • Im listening to it right now its fuckin great. It reminds me of Lonsome Crowded West mixed with Good News For People Who Love Bad News.

I started listening to Modest Mouse about two or three months before Good News came out and I had heard all the previous albums before Good News. Good News is one hell of an album but I prefer their older stuff. But Good News came out at one of the best parts of my life and I listened to it every chance I had during that time. So it will always have a place in my heart and remind me of great times.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • listening to it now for the first time.

WOW

totally different, but still fucking awesome. prepare to be taken aback by this album...really really interesting stuff on here. I love it...can't wait for more tour dates to be announced!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV