British bands SUCK

13»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    OMG knights of cydonia(sp?). i laugh my arse off every time i hear someone say that. i love muse but it just sounds pretentious for some reason. great band live though. saw them in january and for me the nerd highlight was the fact that they used visuals from the video game galaga in their backdrop graphics. many an hour for me was wasted playing that game. :D though i wouldn't say totally wasted, cause i'm sure i could blow up the death star with my shot without getting too cocky. :D:p

im looking forward to their set at lolla. i've been pleasantly surprised by some of their stuff. they sure beat wolfmother.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im looking forward to their set at lolla. i've been pleasantly surprised by some of their stuff. they sure beat wolfmother.

they handle festivals great. they nearly blew TOOL off the stage and for a TOOLHEAD like me that is an achievement indeed. MUSE know what they're doing and they do it well. i always expect good things from them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    radiohead are ok, cannot get past how muse seem a poor imitation. coldplay, oasis etc etc arent really my thing, never have been.

then again, what new bands have emerged from the states in recent years? apart from the strokes, it seems just as dire, when you consider: good charlotte, slipknot, linkin park and all the other bollocks I dont see how brit bands in particular "suck".

whats this link with brits and bad teeth????? like mine are yellow, overlapping and just generally horrendous up close but thats down to irish heritage.
    whats wrong with bad teeth anyway?
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    elmer wrote:
    radiohead are ok, cannot get past how muse seem a poor imitation.

for their their first couple of albums i thought that too. absolution, however, saw them finding their own sound. black holes and revelations is one of the best albums released last year by a band from ANY country. that album is so well written, recorded and diverse that any comparison with radiohead is now redundant. as someone who likes radiohead i can't imagine them recording a map of the probelmatique, assassin, hoodoo or knights of cydonia.

if anyone outside of the uk is ignoring the great bands coming out of the uk at the moment that's their loss.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    kasabian, franz ferdinand, kaiser chiefs, bloc party................

I dont think these are great bands, some catchy tunes and all but Id never hear them and feel curious about the album.

In Britain, certainly amongst the critics the period between the Stone roses and oasis (90-95) is regarded a fallow period. They will concede nirvana were great but all else simply irks them, PJ are seen as preparation for depression fuelled homicide, or else are regarded in a comical cock-rock fashion. They cannot let go of past eras of greatness(rolling stones, led zep, beatles..........) and so it must have pained them when all the "grunge" sound pervaded youth culture, that coming after guns n roses, metallica and bon jovi had huge success.