British bands SUCK

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Electronica is an ever broadening concept, and much of it is deliberately experimental, owing to many musical forms other than conventional rock, or even dance. Only a small amount of it is generic techno fodder. There's a lot of interesting electronica coming out of Sweden, right now, for example.

I'm all for musicians and producers trying to make new sounds, even if it means using setups other than guitar, bass and drums. In the right hands, I think electronica can convey a range of human feelings and nuances of experience, which your traditional, neanderthal three chords couldn't begin to articulate. If that's ignoring the roots of rock and roll, is it a bad thing?

There is nothing neanderthal or limited about 3 chords in the right hands. Three chords on a guitar can convey far more than a bunch of blips and bleeps over a repetitive beat will ever be able to, in my opinion. Just because it has been done many times before doesn't mean there is nothing left to do with it. The truly creative van take 3 chords and make it into something new. I believe McCartney once said something along the lines of "there are plenty of great songs yet to be written in the key of C."

I've tried to get into techno and, while some of the beats can be interesting, it is just too cold and inhuman to ever have the same power as rock, or jazz, or blues, etc for me.

As for HotRock's claim that music with hooks is for unintelligent people, try writing a great hook and you will see that it takes far more talent and creativity than programming a beat.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    If Beethoven were around today, he'd use a big row of oscillators, and orchestrate music according to speaker vibrations. ;)

Eno takes pride in not being a musician, but in many ways he's more of a musician than an archetypal thrash guitar twiddler with hyperactive fingers and no sense of tone, because he uses unconventional methods to create art from sonic textures that enhance mood or consciousness. Whose music seems more interesting, novel and inspiring to other musicians, listeners or writers: Eno's or Yngwie Malmsteen's?

The Wikipedia article on him is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_eno

i dont know who either of those people are ;) maybe im just dense... i dont have the patience for subtle sonic textures. and my feeling is that musicians make music and to be a musician, you must play some sort of music. then again, i guess singers don't. so maybe im just annoyed as shit by techno-geeks. house music and rave music is some of the worst atrocities ever perpetrated against humankind. i do listen to sigur ros and admire some of radiohead's later work, so i see what you're getting at and that's cool. it doesn't do it for me... i just cant get into it like i can rock. there's no emotion, no blood, sweat, and tears. i can't envision a live show with missed flubs, sweat pouring, crowds singing, and everything i love about the blues and rock. i picture a DJ, hopelessly obsessed with looking cool with his headphones, and scratching and clothes, turning knobs and not moving and never pouring any soul into his work, let alone into the crowd. i cannot envision an electronica live music experience that even comes close to the human passion of a pearl jam show. to me, it's like the difference between reading a poem about sex, which might be good and intellectually stimulating, and actually having sex, which is the real deal and beyond words.

plus, i just like to make fun of X-poppin rave dorks, kinda like i enjoy making fun of goth nerds, emo dweebs, grunge morons, and country yokels... i dont discriminate, i loathe you all equally! :)
    If Beethoven were around today, he'd use a big row of oscillators, and orchestrate music according to speaker vibrations. ;)

Eno takes pride in not being a musician, but in many ways he's more of a musician than an archetypal thrash guitar twiddler with hyperactive fingers and no sense of tone, because he uses unconventional methods to create art from sonic textures that enhance mood or consciousness. Whose music seems more interesting, novel and inspiring to other musicians, listeners or writers: Eno's or Yngwie Malmsteen's?

The Wikipedia article on him is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_eno

I'll take Hendrix over either of them. I do respect Eno, though.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    I'll take Hendrix over either of them. I do respect Eno, though.

Oh, I'd take Hendrix, too, over everyone, full stop. But did you know Jimi owned an early synthesiser, and in his last interview with Keith Altham was talking about using an oscillator?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Nah, they started their world domination on layered vocal harmonies and a huge repertoire spanning everything from the three chords of Eddie Cochran, through the more sophisticated soul pop of Goffin and King to their own formative compositions, with often used quite harmomically complex chordal cycles, and unusual middle eights.

So there. :p;)

still using 3 chords though

first ever lennon/mcartney recording of In Spite of all the DAnger was with 3 chords... thats where the revoultion started ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Oh, I'd take Hendrix, too, over everyone, full stop. But did you know Jimi owned an early synthesiser, and in his last interview with Keith Altham was talking about using an oscillator?

Yeah, I've heard his version of the Star Spangled Banner done with a synthesizer. I'm all for branching out and using new technology, but I still doubt that anything will ever move me like the sound of an electric guitar in the hands of someone who can really play. And by "really play" I mean someone who has plenty of technical ability, but uses it to convey something passionate and musical, not just to show how fast they can play.

Have you heard any of Jeff Beck's electronica stuff? I think it's a pretty good example of taking the interesting parts of electronica, and making it more interesting by combining it with rock guitar playing. I recommend the "You Had It Coming" album. It has a very cool version of the Muddy Waters classic "rollin and tumblin."
  • Yep, but that song was crap, though, Dunkman! :D
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Yep, but that song was crap, though, Dunkman! :D

wish i'd wrote it ;) wouldnt be sitting here pretending to do work... i'd be on a beach being wafted cool by boobs
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    Yeah, I've heard his version of the Star Spangled Banner done with a synthesizer. I'm all for branching out and using new technology, but I still doubt that anything will ever move me like the sound of an electric guitar in the hands of someone who can really play. And by "really play" I mean someone who has plenty of technical ability, but uses it to convey something passionate and musical, not just to show how fast they can play.

Have you heard any of Jeff Beck's electronica stuff? I think it's a pretty good example of taking the interesting parts of electronica, and making it more interesting by combining it with rock guitar playing. I recommend the "You Had It Coming" album. It has a very cool version of the Muddy Waters classic "rollin and tumblin."

Oh, the studio Star Spangled Banner is all guitar. It was done at the Record Plant in March 1969. It just uses multispeed tracking, and creates some synthy-type tones.

Yep, I've heard Jeff's stuff. I think electronica can be very liberating for musicians brought up on conventional instrumentation. Personally, I was a strict acoustic musician for years, having started out playing electric blues guitar. Now, I'm enjoying the possibilities of using drum programs and synth loops (but I create the music first).

A great example of a British musician who explores different genres and their potential is John Martyn. Asked about why he refuses to be pigeonholed, he says, "Have you seen the size of a pigeon's hole?" :)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Wait until she brings home Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music For Airports". :D
    that was about to be my response to those who said that electronic music was all crap. It's not like Eno can't play actual instruments either.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    that was about to be my response to those who said that electronic music was all crap. It's not like Eno can't play actual instruments either.

Eno's an artist too, a former art student. And this has me thinking about the role of British art students, from Lennon to Jarvis Cocker, on our music here, and why audiences over this side of the lake often champion conceptual and exploratory music, loaded with artistic sensibility, over standard musicianship. I've been thinking, maybe the bottom line is, perhaps it wasn't even Lennon so much as Syd Barrett and Richard Wright who between them raised the standard for British music, and effectively severed its necessary dependence on American formal precedents (which even on Rubber Soul and Revolver were influencing The Beatles).

The Floyd had started out, doing covers of conventional blues rock standards, such as I'm a King Bee: Syd on those early tracks was trying to affect an American accent, and everything sounded contrived and formulaic. Then acid, UFO and Interstellar Overdrive happened. British psychedelia was light years ahead of anything the Grateful Dead or Jefferson Airplane were doing in San Francisco. Technically the Dead and the Airplane consisted of far technically superior musicians, but Syd the art student and Rick the architectural student, like Lennon or even Viv Stanshall, used the sonic gallimaufry of chance, random and unusual soundscapes to make art out of freeform. Syd and Rick embraced new technology in finding new things to say. Rick knew Stockhausen, too, it should be added. And Syd sang in an English accent, and it was refreshing.
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    TheHotRock wrote:
    holland is where all of the heady electronica is at, US has the best jambands and hip hop (as well as the worst jam bands and hip hop).....only thing saving those bad tooth fools is radiohead....beleee dat

Why does everyone think that us Brits have bad teeth!!???
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,245
    Peter C wrote:
    Why does everyone think that us Brits have bad teeth!!???
    it's allways been that belief here in the US ,i mean even the movies portray it that way AUSTIN POWERS ring a bell, i know that it's assnine but it's the way it is weird no ??...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    TheHotRock wrote:
    go see sound tribe sector 9 and lolla, then talk to me about your stupid hook based rock music.

If I get a chance I will...in the meantime check out Muse's live show and stop being such a dumbass.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Wait until she brings home Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music For Airports". :D

well i won't hold my breath for that fins. i know my daughter and i know she could go the rest of her life without knowing who brian eno is without intervention. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Well indie music sucks. And by that I mean Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, The Rakes, Good Shoes, The Klaxons, The Cribs, The View, Razorlight etc. They all sound the same! There are two mainstream music scenes: indie and emo. :(
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Well indie music sucks. And by that I mean Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, The Rakes, Good Shoes, The Klaxons, The Cribs, The View, Razorlight etc. They all sound the same! There are two mainstream music scenes: indie and emo. :(

A bit harsh there mate,Klaxons,Arctics and The rakes are pretty decent, agree about Razorshite tho.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Peter C wrote:
    A bit harsh there mate,Klaxons,Arctics and The rakes are pretty decent, agree about Razorshite tho.

Razorlight are not all british no? half of them are Swedish, you cant blame them entirely on us.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Razorlight are not all british no? half of them are Swedish, you cant blame them entirely on us.:)

alright then let's make it easy and blame johnny borrell. :D whichever he is we blame that country. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    alright then let's make it easy and blame johnny borrell. :D whichever he is we blame that country. :p:D

He's one of the Swedish ones right?
    He's one of the Swedish ones right?

only if they moved london recently. but no, alas i am afraid the frog prince is english.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    only if they moved london recently. but no, alas i am afraid the frog prince is english.

eeeuuugghh, arseholes always have to make themselves notice.
    eeeuuugghh, arseholes always have to make themselves notice.

i think you'd call it the gallagher defense reefer, no? :D:D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • alright then let's make it easy and blame johnny borrell. :D whichever he is we blame that country. :p:D
    Good thinking. ;)
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    TheHotRock wrote:
    and so do the DJ's....except simon posford.

im talkin now, not 30-40 years ago.
    I kinda dig Arctic Monkeys and the Kaiser Chiefs, but all the others are terrible imo.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • yea i admit i dont like alot of the newer bands out but thats just my taste in music
    i love bands like nine black alps and such
    and i wouldnt exactly say all music from britains crap
    there anythin better comin from anywhere else?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Listening to far more british music just now than i ever have, and much more than music from any other country.

Good Shoes
    The View
    Babyshambles
    Bloc Party
    The Cribs
    The paddingtons
    The Dykeenies
    Dogs Die in Hot Cars
    help She Cant Swim
    Larrikin Love
    The Maccabees
    The Sunshine Underground
    Tokyo Police Club
    The Rifles

Just a few off the top of my head that ive been listening to.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    TheHotRock wrote:
    and so do the DJ's....except simon posford.

im talkin now, not 30-40 years ago.

You are foolish to paint with a broad brush over an entire country and all of their musicians.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    you can't mean all, just current bands right?
    personally i think Muse is awesome right now,
    and there are so many legendary great bands in England's past.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

mdigenakis wrote:
    you can't mean all, just current bands right?
    personally i think Muse is awesome right now,
    and there are so many legendary great bands in England's past.

OMG knights of cydonia(sp?). i laugh my arse off every time i hear someone say that. i love muse but it just sounds pretentious for some reason. great band live though. saw them in january and for me the nerd highlight was the fact that they used visuals from the video game galaga in their backdrop graphics. many an hour for me was wasted playing that game. :D though i wouldn't say totally wasted, cause i'm sure i could blow up the death star with my shot without getting too cocky. :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say