Mid-year Album of the year

KellerKeller Posts: 177
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I know my choice might not be the most popular but...

My vote goes to Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Really awesome album, its rare to hear music this awesome being put out today.
"Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    [tool
    chilipeppers
    neil young
    pearl jam] x a million

[/thread]

There, I said it so you don't have to

but either Destroyer - Rubies, or Boris - Pink
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • strokes- first impressions of earth

runner up:

say anything- is a real boy (finally released majorly on J.)
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Echoes wrote:
    but either Destroyer - Rubies, or Boris - Pink

I'd definitely second Boris, fuckin rocked beyond belief. I havent been able to get a hold of Rubies or any other Destroyer album for that matter cuz its always sold out. I also think the new Mike Patton, Peeping Tom, is really interesting.
    Her?
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Pearl Jam
    Ben Harper
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan's duets cd is fucking fantastic
    Yeah yeah yeahs-show your bones
    and some others i guess
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    lumpyfred wrote:
    I also think the new Mike Patton, Peeping Tom, is really interesting.

I heard a few songs to, really really neat stuff. Some of the timing on that album is nuts
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • freewheelin3freewheelin3 Posts: 173
    so far...

moo, you bloody chior - augie march
    you in reverse - built to spill
    wolves - my latest novel
    destroyer -rubies
    convicts - you am i

many others, but they are my favourites...
  • verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
    I say Ben Harper

anyone who says tool or pearl jam................well..........i dunno about that
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The Raconteurs album is good, but it's not got anything on Pearl Jam, Twilight Singers, Wolfmother or Tool.
  • It has to be
    Mudhoney - Under A Billion Suns
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    im casting my vote for pearl jam. i dont care what anyone says, this is the album ive been hoping for them to release since no code. it's their most consisten album and has so many excellent songs. i love it and nobody is giong to convince me it's not a top notch album from a top notch band getting a second wind.

other than that, i was very pleasantly surprised with the new strokes album. honestly though, i dont buy THAT much music. the only other new in 06 cd's i have i think are built to spill and the new snow patrol. both are solid albums but can't quite compare to their earlier heights.
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    Tool - 10000 days
    Placebo - Meds
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "A Blessing and A Curse" Drive-by Truckers
    "Pearl Jam" Pearl Jam
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    Pearl Jam
    Wolfmother
    The Strokes

in that order........
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22, Seattle 28-05-24, Seattle 30-05-24
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Pearl Jam so far is my favorite

the Chili Peppers have just released one of their best albums and the Strokes their best(same with Harper) so theyre all up there too

Wolfmother-honorable mention
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • 1. rather ripped-sonic youth

seriously.....there is some beautiful stuff on this record. the first four tracks are incredibly solid. then the 3 song section in the middle of "jams run free", "rats", and "turquoise boy" are fucking great. 25 years into their career and they put out one of their best pieces of music

runners-up:

-st. elsewhere-gnarls barkley

i really like danger mouse and cee-lo elevates the songs. "crazy" is a nice single, but there is some pretty inventive stuff overall. i dig it

-fox confessor brings the flood-neko case

i don't think it needs to be said that neko has a fucking sweet voice. there are some damn good songs here too. i haven't heard much else solo neko stuff, but i here that this is the best record she has made and i can see why

-broken boy soldiers-the raconteurs

nothing groundbreaking here, but some great rock songs. jack white wears his influences on his sleeve and this record is no different. still, "steady as she goes", "broken boy soldiers", and "store bought bones" are great songs. a fun record

-living with war-neil young

i'm a little biased here because neil is one of my favorite artists. i still feel like this is an incredibly solid album for anyone to make. the key difference between this album and others that neil has put out recently is the aggression and sense of urgency that he has rediscovered. a great rock/protest record

overall, there hasn't been anything that has really blown me away so far this year. i really do love the sonic youth record and i'm sure it will end up near the top of my year-end list. i'm still listening to the thom yorke solo record. so far i think it's solid but not amazing. it's been growing on me though, so it might end up being one of my favorites. we'll see
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue ~ KAYO DOT.
    Drum's Not Dead ~ LIARS.
    Zaar ~ ZAAR.
    Orchestra of Bubbles ~ ELLEN ALLIEN & APPARAT.
    10,000 Days ~ TOOL.
    Pearl Jam ~ PEARL JAM.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • i always forget the flaming lips in my lists. at war with the mystics isn't nearly as good as soft bulletin or yoshimi but it's still fucking good. i thought the reviews were a bit harsh. it's still one of the best sounding records of the year
  • eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Raconteurs- jack white is the shit, its about time he lost that whiney bitch sister of his
    Pearl Jam- what can i say a consistent new cd from the greatest band of my lifetime
    Strokes- awesome, awesome stuff. Its no wonder Ed loves these guys!!

2 best are still comin out....new Gov't mule and Joe bonamassa cds later this summer!!!!! THOM YORKE SOLO ALBUM TOO???? CANT WAIT!
  • Pearl Jam
    Drive By Truckers
    Secret Machines
    Raconteurs
    David Gilmour
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Keller wrote:
    I know my choice might not be the most popular but...

My vote goes to Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Really awesome album, its rare to hear music this awesome being put out today.

Just finished listening to the new drive by truckers.... i think it might over take this
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    tybird wrote:
    "A Blessing and A Curse" Drive-by Truckers
    "Pearl Jam" Pearl Jam

I'll second that... although ABAAC isn't as strong as the last two DBT albums...
  • living with war - neil young
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Cat Power - "the Greatest"
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Show Your Bones"
    Pearl Jam - "Pearl Jam"
    Grandaddy - "The Fambly Cat"
    Gnarls Barkley - "St. Elsewhere"

In an order similar to that, I think.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I'll cast my vote for PJ here too. Nothing particularly ground-breaking, but I'll be damned if I'm not still listening to it almost daily. Solid solid record.

A close second to Neko's Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. Best voice in music today, it's not even close.

other notables

Loose Fur-Born Again in the USA
    Grandaddy-Just Like the Fambly Cat

although I bought it, I can't put Stadium Arcadium up there. I'm awfully disappointed in it.
    rock chalk
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    10,000 Days
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    at the moment

Pearl Jam
    Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
    RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
    Mark Lanegan and Isobelle Campbell - Ballard Of The Broken Seas
    The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

very close between these 5 at the moment, I'm gonna get hold of the Thom Yorke solo advance later today and see what it's like, it may change things;)

Tool - 10,000 days is solid but for me personally isnt as good as those above, same with the Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's albums.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    at the moment

Pearl Jam
    Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
    RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
    Mark Lanegan and Isobelle Campbell - Ballard Of The Broken Seas
    The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

very close between these 5 at the moment, I'm gonna get hold of the Thom Yorke solo advance later today and see what it's like, it may change things;)

Tool - 10,000 days is solid but for me personally isnt as good as those above, same with the Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's albums.:)

Just Listened to Drive By Truckers - A Blessing And A Curse and first impressions would put it up with the other 5 albums up there.
    Have to play it a few more times to get to know it better.:)
    Listening to Thom Yorke's new album as we speak interesting so far.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Pearl Jam's the obvious, but also "Morph The Cat" from Donald Fagen. The man is brilliant.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    1. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
    2. Mercy Fall - For The Taken
    3. Wolfmother - Wolfmother
    4. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code