Nas

KellerKeller Posts: 177
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Any Nas fans out there? I'm not a big hip hop guy but damn this guy keep delivering. I really enjoy the new single "hip hop is dead". but i don't think anything could beat stillmatic. This man is what hip hop should be.
"Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Keller wrote:
    Any Nas fans out there? I'm not a big hip hop guy but damn this guy keep delivering. I really enjoy the new single "hip hop is dead". but i don't think anything could beat stillmatic. This man is what hip hop should be.

"HIP-hop is dead" ????
    Thank God for that !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • "HIP-hop is dead" ????
    Thank God for that !!!!!

Oh no you didn't, I'm assuming you've never heard this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHIgwrSjUHs
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • The new album is good. I was let down by it a little bit though. It got really good reviews before it came out. I mean it is better than the last two, Stillmatic and Streets Disciple, but I'm afraid he'll never release an album like Illmatic again. That was an instant classic, and those are hard to repeat(if that's what he's trying to do at all)
    NERDS!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    pretty coincidental this thread, just got me Illmatic.
  • I really enjoy Nas' new album, Hip Hop Is Dead. Unlike Jay-Z's lackluster Kingdom Come, HHID is hard hitting and has some killer beats. Definitley one of the best Hip Hop albums of 06.
  • I don't know Nas but just wondering if there are plenty of brilliant lyrical lines about jewels, cars, cash, guns, expensive clothing or who's gonna kill who next in this album? Rappers are such f'n geniuses when it comes to that sort of shit. and their messages really get through..not a day goes by here where i don't hear the kids outside enjoying their new 9's or gats or whatever they call 'em now and usually only a few killings a day on a quiet one. and i really love the cars with the bass so fucking loud it rattles the foundation on my house always enjoying. one just went by as i was typing this how sweet :). A whole new generation of Gangsta Hoods with big brim cap, big t-shirt, big necklace, big charm, big pants, big tims, big guns, big chip on shoulder, big grudges, big attitudes....big fucking waste of life.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • I don't know Nas but just wondering if there are plenty of brilliant lyrical lines about jewels, cars, cash, guns, expensive clothing or who's gonna kill who next in this album? Rappers are such f'n geniuses when it comes to that sort of shit. and their messages really get through..not a day goes by here where i don't hear the kids outside enjoying their new 9's or gats or whatever they call 'em now and usually only a few killings a day on a quiet one. and i really love the cars with the bass so fucking loud it rattles the foundation on my house always enjoying. one just went by as i was typing this how sweet :). A whole new generation of Gangsta Hoods with big brim cap, big t-shirt, big necklace, big charm, big pants, big tims, big guns, big chip on shoulder, big grudges, big attitudes....big fucking waste of life.

Do you enjoy movies such as the godfather and goodfellas? Don't those glorify violence?

Do you believe these scenarios are made up and do not exist?

If you took time to listen to what the lyrics mean then maybe you'd understand the point of view.

Go listen to Nickelback sing about rockstars and leave the hip-hop alone then.

It's no different than My Chemical Romance singing about gloom and doom and all of their fans wearing eyeliner and dying their hair black.
    NERDS!

Wow. That's really all.
  • illmatic is one of the greatest albums of all time.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i like that one song of his where he sampled "In A Gadda da Vida"

still though, my one main foray into the world of hip hop will always be common
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    i like that one song of his where he sampled "In A Gadda da Vida"

still though, my one main foray into the world of hip hop will always be common

I think it's kinda funny he used that sample on the last album and his latest. I don't remember a rapper ever doing that.
    NERDS!
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I like the one with the kids, 'I Can'.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Yeah he is pretty consistent. I like him because he remains an individual for the most part.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    I don't know Nas but just wondering if there are plenty of brilliant lyrical lines about jewels, cars, cash, guns, expensive clothing or who's gonna kill who next in this album? Rappers are such f'n geniuses when it comes to that sort of shit. and their messages really get through..not a day goes by here where i don't hear the kids outside enjoying their new 9's or gats or whatever they call 'em now and usually only a few killings a day on a quiet one. and i really love the cars with the bass so fucking loud it rattles the foundation on my house always enjoying. one just went by as i was typing this how sweet :). A whole new generation of Gangsta Hoods with big brim cap, big t-shirt, big necklace, big charm, big pants, big tims, big guns, big chip on shoulder, big grudges, big attitudes....big fucking waste of life.

for a rebuttle we look no further than the spoken word from the 1988 album BY All Means Necessary, Boogie Down Productions:

When some get together and think of rap, they tend to think of violence
    But when they are challenged on some rock group, the result is always silence
    Even before the rock and roll era, violence played a big part in music
    It's all according to your meaning of violence and how or in which way you use it
    No, it's not violent to show in movies the destruction of the human body
    But yes, of course it's violent to protect yourself at a party
    And, oh no, it's not violent when under the christmas tree is a look-alike gun
    But, yes, of course it's violent to have an album like KRS-One
    By all means necessary, it's time to end the hypocrisy
    What I call violence, I can't do , but your kind of violence is stopping me
    By all means necessary, the rap audience must grow up
    The same type of fightin' we do, they do except we've got nothing to blow up
    It doesn`t matter if you win or lose, it's only how good you play the game
    This is the oldest sneak attack, because it takes away our senses to gain
    If all I do is play the game then I am just mediocre
    We strive to be the best we can be, not to just get over
    Some people say that life on a whole is serious and nothing is funny
    That's only if you base your life around competition and money
    Yeah, I'm making some money, he's making some money, but none of these things are necessities
    What I find to be a necessity is controlling a positive destiny
    With this, money, fame, glory and credit will come in time
    The people down with me know this every minute they hear me sayin rhymes
    I got some friends, I got some allies like Stet, and Big Daddy Kane
    They know that by all means necessary that peace is the name of this game
    Whether peace by war, or peace by peace, the reality of peace is scary
    But we must get there, one way or another, by all means necessary.

this message got lost a long time ago and now most people on the whole feel the way somebodyelsessky feels. its sad, but Hiphop was all about rappin to forget about hard times and havin fun and creating good times for people with nothing else going for them. block parties and friendly battles....not all this bullshit it is today....its not all bullshit, you gotta pick and choose, nas aint bullshit, but i was dissapointed with the album...like someone said, once you said the standard set with illmatic and it was written, its tough to top yourself, but hes trying and he cares about the early philolophies of Hiphop
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24

Apparently you are not familiar with Nas. He isn't big on "gangsta" talk. He's about real situations and real issues. He's poetry. I would say he has the best mission since Public Enemy in terms of the "rap" world.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Apparently you are not familiar with Nas. He isn't big on "gangsta" talk. He's about real situations and real issues. He's poetry. I would say he has the best mission since Public Enemy in terms of the "rap" world.

I agree 100%

His music can be so inspiring and most of the time sends the right message.

Nas - I Can

[Kids]
    I know I can (I know I can)
    Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be)
    If I work hard at it (If I work hard at it)
    I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be)

[Nas]
    Be, B-Boys and girls, listen up
    You can be anything in the world, in God we trust
    An architect, doctor, maybe an actress
    But nothing comes easy it takes much practice
    Like, I met a woman who's becoming a star
    She was very beautiful, leaving people in awe
    Singing songs, Lina Horn, but the younger version
    Hung with the wrong person
    Got her strung on that
    Heroin, cocaine, sniffin up drugs all in her nose...
    Coulda died, so young, now looks ugly and old
    No fun cause now when she reaches for hugs people hold they breath
    Cause she smells of corrosion and death
    Watch the company you keep and the crowd you bring
    Cause they came to do drugs and you came to sing
    So if you gonna be the best, I'ma tell you how,
    Put your hands in the air, and take a vow

[Chorus - 2x (Nas and Kids)]
    I know I can (I know I can)
    Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be)
    If I work hard at it (If I work hard at it)
    I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be)

[Nas]
    Be, B-Boys and girls, listen again
    This is for grown looking girls who's only ten
    The ones who watch videos and do what they see
    As cute as can be, up in the club with fake ID
    Careful, 'fore you meet a man with HIV
    You can host the TV like Oprah Winfrey
    Whatever you decide, be careful, some men be
    Rapists, so act your age, don't pretend to be
    Older than you are, give yourself time to grow
    You thinking he can give you wealth, but so
    Young boys, you can use a lot of help, you know
    You thinkin life's all about smokin weed and ice
    You don't wanna be my age and can't read and write
    Begging different women for a place to sleep at night
    Smart boys turn to men and do whatever they wish
    If you believe you can achieve, then say it like this

[Chorus]

[Nas]
    Be, be, 'fore we came to this country
    We were kings and queens, never porch monkeys
    There was empires in Africa called Kush
    Timbuktu, where every race came to get books
    To learn from black teachers who taught Greeks and Romans
    Asian Arabs and gave them gold when
    Gold was converted to money it all changed
    Money then became empowerment for Europeans
    The Persian military invaded
    They heard about the gold, the teachings, and everything sacred
    Africa was almost robbed naked
    Slavery was money, so they began making slave ships
    Egypt was the place that Alexander the Great went
    He was so shocked at the mountains with black faces
    Shot up they nose to impose what basically
    Still goes on today, you see?
    If the truth is told, the youth can grow
    Then learn to survive until they gain control
    Nobody says you have to be gangstas, hoes
    Read more learn more, change the globe
    Ghetto children, do your thing
    Hold your head up, little man, you're a king
    Young Princess when you get your wedding ring
    Your man is saying "She's my queen"

[Chorus]

Save the music y'all, save the music y'all
    Save the music y'all, save the music y'all
    Save the music
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Do you enjoy movies such as the godfather and goodfellas? Don't those glorify violence?

Do you believe these scenarios are made up and do not exist?

If you took time to listen to what the lyrics mean then maybe you'd understand the point of view.

Go listen to Nickelback sing about rockstars and leave the hip-hop alone then.

It's no different than My Chemical Romance singing about gloom and doom and all of their fans wearing eyeliner and dying their hair black.
    yes i did enjoy those movies some of my favorites but i'm not running out trying to become the next tony montana. i guess it is the individual who takes such entertainment and tries to make it become their real life that is really to blame. i'm just pissed because i've seen it happen. since this gangsta rap shit started my whole city has gone to shit and nobody can tell me this had nothing to do with it. i've listened to it and i've heard the lyrics and i've watched the kids change before my eyes. i'm not saying all of it is bad i haven't heard all of it because i'm not into it. and i can remember dressing up like kiss when i was a kid..makeup and hair dye can be changed. a bullet in the head i think not . i'd rather my kids listened to either my chemical romance or nickleback for that matter. 2pac and biggie smalls are 2 prime examples of how this shit is taken seriously...you don't see the rolling stones going out trying to gun down u2 to maintain the top spot...it's stupid.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Holy shit?!?!?!? A Nas thread on the PJ forum? I never thought I would see the day.

Anyway, Nas is by far my favorite rapper. I have all his albums and have seen him in concert a dozen times, including the infamous Central Park concert which started that whole Nas/50 beef. That free concert represented what hip-hop is supposed to be about!

HHID is a good album per today's hip-hop standards, but it doesn't hold a candle to Illmatic, IWW and Stillmatic. I am also disappointed that Nas chose not to work with DJ Premier like he said he would before being signed to Def Jam.
    I mean it is better than the last two, Stillmatic and Streets Disciple

I hope you meant to say "God's Son and SD" (which were his last two releases prior to HHID) because there is no way in hell that HHID is better than Stillmatic.
    I don't know Nas but just wondering if there are plenty of brilliant lyrical lines about jewels, cars, cash, guns, expensive clothing or who's gonna kill who next in this album?

There is a bit of street talk on HHID, which is lame because Nas hasn't lived in the hood in like ten years. I thought that Nas would evolve as an artist and address more personal, political and worldly issues like he did from time to time on Stillmatic and God's Son. Hood talk is so ten years ago, it's not even funny.
    Apparently you are not familiar with Nas. He isn't big on "gangsta" talk.

He did go through his "Nasty Nas" and "Esco" phases, remember. Nevertheless, Nas isn't a one-dimensional artist, and like you mentioned, he does talk about real issues from time to time and can be poetic when he puts his mind to it. My biggest gripe with Nas is his inconsistency. But he's gotta sell records, right? And the average hip-hop listener isn't concerned with lyrical depth or genius. Even 2Pac, another great and respected lyricist, had his fair share of gangsta and party cuts.
  • im not a huge fan of his, but i have one of his albums and i dig the new song. it sounds like some old school '80's rap like run dmc or something with the guitars, it actually kinda rocks
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    im not a huge fan of his, but i have one of his albums and i dig the new song. it sounds like some old school '80's rap like run dmc or something with the guitars, it actually kinda rocks

He used that same beat for Thief's Theme, one of the singles from his 2004 album, Street's Disciple. I also like that beat. It samples "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly.

fortunately, not all rappers fit your stereotype. nas, for example. the title of the record nails what his point of this record is. hip hop is dead. because of rappers who rap about guns, rims, bling, etc. and call it hip hop. hip hop has a message. the rappers your referring too? he dislikes them as much as you. they are the reason you think of hip hop like you do, instead of thinking of true artists, like him. but we all know what sells records to the kids!

for the record, i also hate those cars going by all the damn time. but how would we feel if they were blaring PJ? interesting point...lol.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive got illmatic and his greatest hits. but im thinking of trading in the greatest hits to just go for a few albums... maybe stilmatic and it was written. seems like he kind of hit a slump in between those two albums.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ive got illmatic and his greatest hits. but im thinking of trading in the greatest hits to just go for a few albums... maybe stilmatic and it was written. seems like he kind of hit a slump in between those two albums.
    Stillmatic and It was written... are by far his best non-Illmatic albums. Stillmatic probably takes the second spot. Ether and One Mic are two of his best songs. One Mic in particular. Straight up classic.

"I embrace y'all with napalm"

and as for Nas in general, he can turn out as many shit albums as he wants. He'll always be the person that made Illmatic.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Stillmatic and It was written... are by far his best non-Illmatic albums. Stillmatic probably takes the second spot. Ether and One Mic are two of his best songs. One Mic in particular. Straight up classic.

"I embrace y'all with napalm"

and as for Nas in general, he can turn out as many shit albums as he wants. He'll always be the person that made Illmatic.

yeah, but id rather not spend my money on the shit ones ;)

the greatest hits is kinda thin. only about 14 tracks... with 4 from illmatic, 2 new, and one soundtrack, doesn't leave much room for the rest of his career. i really like 'one mic' and 'got yourself a'... which makes me figure stillmatic is a good bet. plus i've heard so much about ether and i rather like jay-z so i've just got to have that one.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yeah, but id rather not spend my money on the shit ones ;)

the greatest hits is kinda thin. only about 14 tracks... with 4 from illmatic, 2 new, and one soundtrack, doesn't leave much room for the rest of his career. i really like 'one mic' and 'got yourself a'... which makes me figure stillmatic is a good bet. plus i've heard so much about ether and i rather like jay-z so i've just got to have that one.
    Ether is just brutal :p There are so many cutting lines in that song I just crack up every time I hear it.

Whether or not Nas lost it with I am and Nastradamus, anyone who writes a line as pun-tastic as "I rock hoes, y'all roc' fellas" is a genius in my book :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Ether is just brutal :p There are so many cutting lines in that song I just crack up every time I hear it.

Whether or not Nas lost it with I am and Nastradamus, anyone who writes a line as pun-tastic as "I rock hoes, y'all roc' fellas" is a genius in my book :D

sounds good to me. ill give it a shot.
  • I love all his albums...

My faves are Stillmatic, I Am, Hip Hop Is Dead and It Was Written.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?