anybody like The Replacements?

2»

Comments

• where did you get shit hits the fans, is it an actual copy?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    where did you get shit hits the fans, is it an actual copy?
    Nah, had to download it :) I just found it on soulseek. There's some great, really sloppy drunken covers on it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    hell yeah they came before everyone else in oppinion ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • does anyone know if there is a list of all the songs they covered?
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    For Mats fans I'd recommend "All Over But the Shouting" if you haven't read it yet.

yeah my friend gave me one for Christmas and I had almost forgot why I always say they're in my top 5 bands, after listening to pretty much evvery record a dozen times (even the last 2!!) the past few weeks I remembered, god they're great
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • i was just watching their videos on youtube since i only heard about them. they have like the best videos ever. i might have to pick up that book today on my way home. i still havent read all of the replacements bible i downloaded a few months ago though.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    "Left of the Dial" has been running around in my head a lot lately. Love that song!
    Brian
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    you hear a lot names like Pixies, REM, Ramones, etc etc pioneering "modern rock", but you never hear much about the Mats. they're pretty good considering they aspired to be the shittiest band on earth (and known for being too drunk to play their own songs in concert). below is a song from Saturday Night Live from sometime in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-RJuIRAaw

during this song, you might hear Paul Westerberg say "fuck". it got them banned from SNL for life, if I'm not mistaken, but I think Westerberg played on there solo. they're a pretty great band.

here's the other from the same show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-s86wXOY4&mode=related&search=

my 2 favorites by them I think are "Here Comes a Regular" and "Alex Chilton".

Uh, see my signature to answer your question. The Mats were amazing. Regarding the infamous Saturday Night Live performance that got them banned. In addition to Paul Westerberg yelling fuck on live TV they also got drunk for several hours before the show with the host Harry Dean Stanton and if you listen carefully Westerberg changes the lyrics of "Kiss Me On The Bus" to "Kiss Me On The Butt." They were classic. Totally original and really didn't give a fuck.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • zircona1 wrote:
    The Replacements are awesome, they made so much good music. Tim is in my Top 10 of favorite albums. You know how a song kind of speaks to you on a deeper level? "Hold My Life" did that for me.

I saw Paul last year on tour, I was surprised at how many 'mats songs he played, I thought he would play only a couple, but he played several!

I know what you mean. I've probably listened to "Bastards of Young" hundreds and hundreds of times and that opening riff followed by Westerberg's blood curdling howl still gives me goose bumps!
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • those videos are no longer on youtube. and i couldnt find the snl performance either. bummer
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I have their album "Tim," it's a pretty good CD.
    I have two Paul Westerberg solos; "Eventually" and "Stereo/Mono"

Eventually is a great "pop-rock" record. Stereo/Mono, I only liked the first CD(acoustics).
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • those videos are no longer on youtube. and i couldnt find the snl performance either. bummer

That's because Lorne Michaels and NBC are fucking assholes. They should release the performance it's amazing. They are obviously hammered but manage to do a scorching version of Bastards of Young. Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson look like they can barely stand up and they are laughing a lot. Then when they came back to do Kiss Me On The Bus they had all changed into each other's clothes.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • reissues april 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant find the article that listed what extra songs will be included but when do ill post it. i think the reissue is only up to let it be then next year the rest or something.