anybody like The Replacements?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited January 2008 in Other Music
you hear a lot names like Pixies, REM, Ramones, etc etc pioneering "modern rock", but you never hear much about the Mats. they're pretty good considering they aspired to be the shittiest band on earth (and known for being too drunk to play their own songs in concert). below is a song from Saturday Night Live from sometime in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-RJuIRAaw

during this song, you might hear Paul Westerberg say "fuck". it got them banned from SNL for life, if I'm not mistaken, but I think Westerberg played on there solo. they're a pretty great band.

here's the other from the same show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-s86wXOY4&mode=related&search=

my 2 favorites by them I think are "Here Comes a Regular" and "Alex Chilton".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love them! i saw them live 2x. it was cool meeting them ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • i'm just getting into the replacements. i dig them. i have pleased to meet me which has some absolutely great songs and some that i think are only ok. i need to get my hands on let it be
  • The Mats...yes, yes, yes!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Love em! also Paul Westerburg solo stuff.... very awesome!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    i need to get my hands on let it be

the album "Tim" is a pretty damn good one too.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I really like them. Its funny, I used to think Paul Westerberg was just some dude with a Dyslexic Heart. Then I read Michael Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life. One of the chapters is about The Replacements. The guy is an indie rock god. I have the 2 disc best of/b-sides disc and I have a couple of Westerberg solo discs. Great stuff! Some of my favorites are Bastards of Young, Can't Hardly Wait, Ill Be You, Here Comes a Regular, Alex Chilton, and Skyway.
    Brian
  • Look me in the eye
    And tell me that I'm satisfed
    Look me in the eye
    Unsatisfied
    I'm so, I'm so unsatisfied
    I'm so dissatisfied
    I'm so unsatisfied
    Well, I'm-a
    I'm so dissatis, dissattis...
    I'm so
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    a friend of mine just bought me a copy of Let it Be(?) by the Replacements. i really haven't checked them out yet, but i can't wait to. got a 3 hr. drive on Sunday, so I'll be blaring this album out the gate. i'll get back to this thread w/ my opinion afterwards.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Let It Be and Tim are fantastic albums. Hootenanny has some great moments too. On their day, surely one of the best bands of all times. Alex Chilton is a rock-tastic song.
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • I'm ashamed to say that I never heard of the Replacements untill Tommy Stinson joined up with the New version of GNR - I've since got acquainted with them, and they're pretty good

Here comes the Regular is a terrific tune
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • The greatest band to ever come out of my homestate of Minnesota. Also proud to say, that while I've never met Paul, my uncle used to be great friends with him in the 80s. "Tim" is their absolute masterpiece.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I really like them. Its funny, I used to think Paul Westerberg was just some dude with a Dyslexic Heart. Then I read Michael Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life. One of the chapters is about The Replacements. The guy is an indie rock god. I have the 2 disc best of/b-sides disc and I have a couple of Westerberg solo discs. Great stuff! Some of my favorites are Bastards of Young, Can't Hardly Wait, Ill Be You, Here Comes a Regular, Alex Chilton, and Skyway.

I loved Can't Hardly Wait and Skyway. After I type this, I'm going upstairs to dig out the album. Westerberg is so underappreciated.
  • "let the bad times roll" off stereo is one of the best songs ever.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    They're one of my favorite bands. Let It Be, Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me are essentials for any rock and roll collection. All their other albums have their share of fine songs as well. I saw them on the All Shook Down tour.
    I got to meet Paul during his 2002 solo tour which was quite a thrill. I saw 5 shows on that tour which was tremendous. I saw one show on his more recent band tour which was also very good.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    NCBRI wrote:

This book is fantastic I only got it to read about the Mats but there is so much good shit in here

seriously though where is the love for pleased to meet me?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    The Replacements rock my f*ckin world! One of my favourite bands ever. Westerberg is God. His solo stuff is amazing too. 14 Songs and Stereo/Mono especially. And the song Fugitive Kind from Suicane Gratification!

Let It Be is my favourite Mats album. Unfortunately it has two or three really crap songs (as do all Mats albums), otherwise it may just about be my perfect album. Nevertheless it's still one of my favourites. Unsatisfied, I Will Dare, Answering Machine, Sixteen Blue (!!!!), Androgynous, Seen Your Video....sublime.

Why they don't get more credit is beyond me, but I kinda like it that way.
    how could I forget the Kiss cover....Black Diamond?

OUT ON THE STREETS FOR A LIVIIIIINNG!!!!!!!
  • PaulJam wrote:
    The Replacements rock my f*ckin world! One of my favourite bands ever. Westerberg is God. His solo stuff is amazing too. 14 Songs and Stereo/Mono especially. And the song Fugitive Kind from Suicane Gratification!

Let It Be is my favourite Mats album. Unfortunately it has two or three really crap songs (as do all Mats albums), otherwise it may just about be my perfect album. Nevertheless it's still one of my favourites. Unsatisfied, I Will Dare, Answering Machine, Sixteen Blue (!!!!), Androgynous, Seen Your Video....sublime.

Why they don't get more credit is beyond me, but I kinda like it that way.

agreed. westerberg is a genius songwriter. His songs are catchier than anything.

The new open season soundtrac somes out next week with 8 new PW songs. Fucking incredible. His solo career is better than the replacments, ok not better but equally as amazing.

saw him 4 times last tour. Incredible, pure rockn roll

dont get me started on the mats and westerberg
  • i bought Let It Be today. and i love it. i love the juxtaposition of really goofy, heavy rockers and really deep and poignant ballads
  • love them.. simply love them
  • aHis solo career is better than the replacments, ok not better but equally as amazing.
    just go ahead and say it, be not afraid.

Westerberg is my hero. pure, honest rock and roll.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • The Replacements are awesome, they made so much good music. Tim is in my Top 10 of favorite albums. You know how a song kind of speaks to you on a deeper level? "Hold My Life" did that for me.

I saw Paul last year on tour, I was surprised at how many 'mats songs he played, I thought he would play only a couple, but he played several!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • just go ahead and say it, be not afraid.

Westerberg is my hero. pure, honest rock and roll.

"westerberg is my hero." that's my introduction on my myspace page. the reason for that is that if you write music... it doesn't have to be perfect or even that good... it only matters that you like it, you've created it and you shared it. if only one person likes you music then you've succeded... and, that one person could be you.

of course, the more people that like your music the better but, again it doesn't really matter... it's still you song you're sharing... somebody's bound to like it. it's a good feeling.

westerberg is the man.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
    Everyone's hitting it on the head. Bang on. I feel totally alive and at the same time totally down to earth when listening to Paul. It's just 'right'. There isn't an artist out there I can relate to more.

Sitting up at 1am listening to First Glimmer, Black Eyed Susan and Things. 14 Songs is one of my all time favourite albums. I think it runs the Mats classic real close.

It's a Wonderful Lie = Genius songwriting.
  • anyone like the stereo/mono record?

Stereo is beautiful. It just may be my favorite Westerberg project.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    is he doing any tours or anything anymore or is he chillin'? i've seen him solo twice and both were really good shows.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    PaulJam wrote:
    Everyone's hitting it on the head. Bang on. I feel totally alive and at the same time totally down to earth when listening to Paul. It's just 'right'. There isn't an artist out there I can relate to more.

Sitting up at 1am listening to First Glimmer, Black Eyed Susan and Things. 14 Songs is one of my all time favourite albums. I think it runs the Mats classic real close.

It's a Wonderful Lie = Genius songwriting.

first glimmer is such a beautifull song, as is wonderful lie and to whoever said fugitive kind fuck yeah
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • wanted to kick up this thread again. im just listening to a show of theirs from 89 and its just something else. some of the songs have different lyrics and all. really neat to hear the early version of some of the studio tracks.

wonder if the long rumored boxset will ever see the light of day.
  • For Mats fans I'd recommend "All Over But the Shouting" if you haven't read it yet.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Only got into them a few months ago but felt compelled after hearing the godly Let it be to acquire Tim, Hootenanny, Pleased to meet me, The Shit hits the fans and Sorry Ma. Such a brilliant band.

Favourite songs are:

Answering Machine
    Unsatisfied
    Bastards of Young
    Here comes a regular
    Alex Chilton
    Favourite Thing
    Seen Your Video
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"