Anyone else still listen to Fugazi?

julienovajulienova Posts: 118
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Or ever listen to Fugazi? I received the Instrument DVD today, to replace my VHS version. I'd forgotten the visual intensity of the band and the concert experience, even though I listen to them live all the time. 6 or 7 years not seeing them live, even though I've seen the Evens; I'd forgotten, frankly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I've seen them a bunch of times. Great band.
  • they were amazing. i threw in red medicine today for the first time in a long while. it still blows me away. the instrument is my all time favorite rock documentary/band movie ever.
  • Ya I still love that band. Still crossing my fingers for a follow up to The Arguement.
  • julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    I'm going to see Pearl Jam at the Verizon Center next week. A slightly larger venue than I'm used to in DC. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's watched Jem's documentary, or listens to Fugazi.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I throw them on everyonce in a while on my mp3 player at the gym. Instrument is a great documentary. I am looking forward to a possible new album, but not sure if this will happen. Definitely one of my all time favorites.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    I throw them on everyonce in a while on my mp3 player at the gym. Instrument is a great documentary. I am looking forward to a possible new album, but not sure if this will happen. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Yeah watching the documentary was bittersweet, because I just had the feeling I would never see them in concert again. I was listening to the Evens on the Metro this morning, and I like that album a lot, and would love to hear Amy and Ian put out new music. Brendan and Joe have cool side projects, and I guess Guy is pretty involved in film nowadays. Still, there is really nothing like the feeling of opening up a hand-addressed yellow envelope with a new Fugazi album in it. Or walking across the field at Fort Reno to see the closing show of the free series, and it's Fugazi.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive always wanted to give them a listen but never got round to it. if i was gonig to get one album to preview what should it be?
    ive always wanted to give them a listen but never got round to it. if i was gonig to get one album to preview what should it be?

I'd probably say whatever album was the last one I listened to. That said, In On the Killtaker, Red Medicine, End Hits, and the Argument probably get the most listens on my iPod. The old stuff is great too, just not as well produced by the band as the later stuff.

iTunes also has Fugazi songs available, but they are one band I wouldn't chop up the albums by buying individual songs. Fugazi's pretty liberal with their trading policy. Ian MacKaye has a great interview where he talks about the music industry and downloads here http://www.downhillbattle.org/interviews/ian_mackaye.php. That said, I'll PM you a link to some of their songs that I think a Pearl Jam fan would like.

A live snippet from Instrument is here:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3787074427425361409&q=fugazi

And there's more live stuff on youtube:
    http://youtube.com/results?search=fugazi&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

Happy listening!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I know someone recommended some of their later albums but being a fan of the older stuff I'd recommend -

13 songs (my favourite, has "suggestion" that PJ tagged onto Leash back in '92)
    Repeater
    Steady Diet of nothing
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I know someone recommended some of their later albums but being a fan of the older stuff I'd recommend -

13 songs (my favourite, has "suggestion" that PJ tagged onto Leash back in '92)
    Repeater
    Steady Diet of nothing

See that's the problem with trying to pick one Fugazi album, between the two of us we've just covered their full-length album discography with the exception of the Instrument Soundtrack. I love how in the Rolling Stone interview, Eddie Vedder calls their work one big album.

Then, you have the FugaziLiveSeries.com recordings also. I have the '93 Fort Reno show with Amy Pickering singing Suggestion. Even with the buzz from the tower, I love that show. It's the show where Guy goes off on the Ice Cream Eating Mother Fucker.

Okay, I'm starting to sound like a Dischord records commercial.
  • well if i had to pick just one to start with i'd say repeater.
    julienova wrote:
    See that's the problem with trying to pick one Fugazi album, between the two of us we've just covered their full-length album discography with the exception of the Instrument Soundtrack. I love how in the Rolling Stone interview, Eddie Vedder calls their work one big album.

Then, you have the FugaziLiveSeries.com recordings also. I have the '93 Fort Reno show with Amy Pickering singing Suggestion. Even with the buzz from the tower, I love that show. It's the show where Guy goes off on the Ice Cream Eating Mother Fucker.

Okay, I'm starting to sound like a Dischord records commercial.
    you are evidently a huge fan :D Of the later albums I only have the argument and it is damgood but I just love the energy of 13 songs etc. By the way does anyone else find Guy's voice a little... whiny? I can cope because the music and lyrics (plus Ian's singing) is great but I just can't decide whether I like Guy's voice or not.

anyway, what later albums should I check out?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    you are evidently a huge fan :D Of the later albums I only have the argument and it is damgood but I just love the energy of 13 songs etc. By the way does anyone else find Guy's voice a little... whiny? I can cope because the music and lyrics (plus Ian's singing) is great but I just can't decide whether I like Guy's voice or not.

Yeah, they're my favorite band. I've been listening to them for years, and they never let me down. Hey, don't harsh on Guy, he's awesome! Seriously, music is a personal choice, I think of Guy/Ian as a Lennon/McCartney thing. You're apt to favor one over the other. Although, honestly, with them I flip flop. Guy is very charismatic live, and plays a seriously demented clarinet. And Ian, is, Ian.

If by later, you mean anything after 13 Songs, I have been listening alot recently to In on the Killtaker. I never see it cited in magazines like Rolling Stone, but it's a really solid album. Red Medicine is Fugazi at the height of their experimentation with sound, but also has straight-on songs like Downed City and Target on it. End Hits, man I just went to iTunes, to see how good the samples are, and I would say listen to the samples. I own these albums, they're on my computer, and it makes me wanna buy them :D Break is insanely infectious.

The Argument is probably the album I play the least. And there are songs on it, I'll skip, like Strangelight. And, I probably need to go back and listen to the early stuff.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

guy is awesome man. check out red medicine.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Started listening to Fugazi about 3-4 months back. Didn't really like it at first but I'm really digging their sound now. I need to get 'The Arguement & Red Medicine.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    julienova wrote:
    Yeah, they're my favorite band. I've been listening to them for years, and they never let me down. Hey, don't harsh on Guy, he's awesome! Seriously, music is a personal choice, I think of Guy/Ian as a Lennon/McCartney thing. You're apt to favor one over the other. Although, honestly, with them I flip flop. Guy is very charismatic live, and plays a seriously demented clarinet. And Ian, is, Ian.

Dont get me wrong sometimes I dig guy, like I love Turnover but sometimes I just can't really decide
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I absolutely love Fugazi. I dont have all of their studio work yet (still need 13 songs, Instrument soundtrack), but ever since I bought The Argument on a whim 2 years ago I was hooked. My two absolute favorites are Repeater + 3 Songs and The Argument, but thats not to say that absolutely everything I've heard by them is gold.
    Her?
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Yes alot of Love for Fugazi riight here.
    Hoping there is new album soon or ever but Im not pinning any hopes on it.
    One of the best bands EVER!
    Truly brilliant!
    In on the Kill Taker is my fav album. Smallpox Champion is fantastic!
    I had it all once I gave it back
    pazman wrote:
    Yes alot of Love for Fugazi riight here.
    Hoping there is new album soon or ever but Im not pinning any hopes on it.
    One of the best bands EVER!
    Truly brilliant!
    In on the Kill Taker is my fav album. Smallpox Champion is fantastic!

I'm pretty sure it's mine too. But I love them all. If there is going to be a new album, it will be ever, not soon. On a positive note, Joe Lally spent some time playing with Inner Ear studios owner Don Zientara on the East Coast.
    julienova wrote:

If by later, you mean anything after 13 Songs, I have been listening alot recently to In on the Killtaker. I never see it cited in magazines like Rolling Stone, but it's a really solid album. Red Medicine is Fugazi at the height of their experimentation with sound, but also has straight-on songs like Downed City and Target on it. End Hits, man I just went to iTunes, to see how good the samples are, and I would say listen to the samples. I own these albums, they're on my computer, and it makes me wanna buy them :D Break is insanely infectious.

The Argument is probably the album I play the least. And there are songs on it, I'll skip, like Strangelight. And, I probably need to go back and listen to the early stuff.
    Just thought I'd resurrect this having acquired in on the killtakers, red medicine, end hit and the instrument soundtrack to finally complete my fugazi collection and I really love their later stuff too now. I think steady diet is probably my favourite album but I really love killtaker and red medicine. also, Guy's voice grew on me :D Ian is still my favourite though.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Just thought I'd resurrect this having acquired in on the killtakers, red medicine, end hit and the instrument soundtrack to finally complete my fugazi collection and I really love their later stuff too now. I think steady diet is probably my favourite album but I really love killtaker and red medicine. also, Guy's voice grew on me :D Ian is still my favourite though.

Awesome, yeah those are my top three albums. I'm glad Guy's voice grew on you, wish he would record something solo. Joe Lally has an interesting side project going, if you haven't heard about it, it sounds awesome, from Dischord web site:

Joe Lally (Fugazi) has also finished recording his first solo album, "There to Here," which we hope to release in October. "There to Here" was recorded by Ian MacKaye and Don Zientara at Inner Ear Studios and by Ian at the Dischord House. The album features Lally's compositions with contributions from Eddie Janney (Rites of Spring, One Last Wish), Jason Kourkounis (Hot Snakes, Delta 72, etc.), Jerry Busher (French Toast), Guy Picciotto (Fugazi), Danny Frankel, Ian Mackaye (The Evens, Fugazi), Amy Farina (The Evens), Scott (Wino) Weinrich and Antonia Tricarico. Joe has been playing regional east coast dates with Don Zientara, toured in Italy and will be touring the states with Antelope in the fall of 2006.

I took a few pictures in DC when the Evens played Fort Reno.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/ian2.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/ian1.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/amy.jpg
    julienova wrote:
    Awesome, yeah those are my top three albums. I'm glad Guy's voice grew on you, wish he would record something solo. Joe Lally has an interesting side project going, if you haven't heard about it, it sounds awesome, from Dischord web site:

Joe Lally (Fugazi) has also finished recording his first solo album, "There to Here," which we hope to release in October. "There to Here" was recorded by Ian MacKaye and Don Zientara at Inner Ear Studios and by Ian at the Dischord House. The album features Lally's compositions with contributions from Eddie Janney (Rites of Spring, One Last Wish), Jason Kourkounis (Hot Snakes, Delta 72, etc.), Jerry Busher (French Toast), Guy Picciotto (Fugazi), Danny Frankel, Ian Mackaye (The Evens, Fugazi), Amy Farina (The Evens), Scott (Wino) Weinrich and Antonia Tricarico. Joe has been playing regional east coast dates with Don Zientara, toured in Italy and will be touring the states with Antelope in the fall of 2006.

I took a few pictures in DC when the Evens played Fort Reno.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/ian2.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/ian1.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/julierandompix/amy.jpg
    I love how you saw this immediately and posted after several months :) Fugazi always catches the eye huh? I need to check out the evens more. Heard a song or two a while back and it was cool. Also I love Joe Lally's bass playing so I'll look out for the solo album. I hear John Frusciante is gonna make another ataxia album too with Lally and Josh Klinghoffer
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    i havent listened to fugazi in like a year now- what the hell is wrong with me?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    i havent listened to fugazi in like a year now- what the hell is wrong with me?
    good question!!! :D why the hell not????!
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I love how you saw this immediately and posted after several months :) Fugazi always catches the eye huh? I need to check out the evens more. Heard a song or two a while back and it was cool. Also I love Joe Lally's bass playing so I'll look out for the solo album. I hear John Frusciante is gonna make another ataxia album too with Lally and Josh Klinghoffer

Not too much of a mystery, this is one of the few threads that I get email notifications for on the Message Pit. :D

I do love my Fugazi, glad that people are enjoying it fresh with such a long hiatus. I'm looking forward to Joe's work, I really like his singing voice too.
    julienova wrote:
    Not too much of a mystery, this is one of the few threads that I get email notifications for on the Message Pit. :D

I do love my Fugazi, glad that people are enjoying it fresh with such a long hiatus. I'm looking forward to Joe's work, I really like his singing voice too.
    I didn't even know you could do e-mail notifications. I'll bear that in mind :) Basically Fugazi are in my top 3 bands to listen to right now. One of the musical discoveries I'm most glad of.
  • For the guy who said that they didn't like Guy Piccioto's voice and loved Ian's, I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutly love Guy's voice, Ian kind of grates on me after a while, though. He still is my personal hero though.

I really don't understand why more people don't listen to Fugazi. Their music is undeniably brilliant, they are extremely influencial, their DIY stance is legendary and they've sold really well (2 million+), yet whenever I talk about them to any of my friends I just get blank looks. In fact, I think that I have maybe one friend who listens to them at all. It totally confuses me.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
    For the guy who said that they didn't like Guy Piccioto's voice and loved Ian's, I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutly love Guy's voice, Ian kind of grates on me after a while, though. He still is my personal hero though.

I really don't understand why more people don't listen to Fugazi. Their music is undeniably brilliant, they are extremely influencial, their DIY stance is legendary and they've sold really well (2 million+), yet whenever I talk about them to any of my friends I just get blank looks. In fact, I think that I have maybe one friend who listens to them at all. It totally confuses me.
    Yeah I only have one friend who listens to them too but we love all the same music so its still cool. I was the guy who didn't like Guy's voice but it really grew on me. Still prefer Ian's though. I just love this band so much right now.
    Wanted to revive this thread to post some news about Fugazi members. Sadly, no reunion seems to be in the works.

Found this interview with Brendan Canty recently. In addition to the Burn to Shine series, Brendan is working with Bob Mould of Husker Du on an album to be released in 2007
    http://www.maximumfun.org/blog/2007/01/podcast-burn-to-shine-with-brendan.html

Ian and Amy have released a new Evens album, Get Even, and toured in support of it through the Fall.
    http://www.altweeklies.com/alternative/AltWeeklies/Story?oid=oid%3A174778

Joe Lally has a solo album out, and is touring in support of it. This article is thorough, and talks about the "hiatus" of Fugazi.
    http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=282&navCenterTopImg

Guy Picciotto. Guy is the most low profile of the Fugazi members post-hiatus, seems to be producing other peoples albums for the most part. Also, became a father this year.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/thebloodbrothersx09x01x07

Oh, and in general, here's the roundup of Fugazi news, a fellow Pearl Jam fan and myself are even in there if you look really hard.
    http://www.topix.net/who/fugazi
    I have the Joe Lally solo album. It's... unusual :) There's not a lot going on and while it is pleasant enough, there's nothing really to get your teeth into. I love the first Evens record though so I'll have to check out the new one.