R.E.M. - E-Bow the letter + leave

2»

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    audiodave wrote:
    I like Reveal, but I am a huge fan of Up. I believe i'll be alone in this though, as few people seem to like that album.

I love "walk unafraid" and "Lotus"
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Julien wrote:

:D

Walk Unafraid is one of my favourite REM songs of all time.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    a lot of love for Reveal. I would put The Lifting, She Just Wants To Be and Imitation of Life on a Best of any day.

Around the Sun just sucks. Their only misstep in an incredible career.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    audiodave wrote:
    I like Reveal, but I am a huge fan of Up. I believe i'll be alone in this though, as few people seem to like that album.

Up is my second favorite REM record, behind Automatic.

And Imitation of Life, She Just Wants to Be, and I'll Take the Rain are the only reasons I bother to put in Reveal. I absolutely cannot stand Reno.

Final Straw is the ONLY reason I'd listen to Around the Sun.
  • I love New Adventures in Hi Fi. I think "E-Bow The Letter" is a great song with an excellent video. I rank "Electrolite" as one of the greatest album closers of all time and I love "Be Mine."

I can't get over people not loving Reveal, though. What a great record. I love every song on it, mainly "The Lifting," "All the Way to Reno," and "Imitation of Life,"

I also think Around the Sun is underrated,
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Thirty-six threads and not one mention of Lifes Rich Pageant? Nothing for Reckoning? Nothing for Fables? Heck, I don't think MURMUR's even in here anywhere!

Without sounding like an old "remember when" jackass that everyone hates, I can remember listening to college radio in the mid-80s when all my friends were into like Loverboy and Night Ranger and Sammy Hagar and crap, and thinking that liking those early REM albums was like being in some secret "cool" club. I'll always love the early stuff. Call me "the apologist" I guess.

Sorry gang, I love R.E.M., and I respect everyone's opinions, but my feeling is that the last 5-6 albums or so have been kinda "unessential" if that's the word. Sure, there are some gems in there, but overall, they just don't really knock me over.

Though I guess I'd say that I feel about R.E.M. albums the same way Yogi Berra once compared pizza to sex:

"When it's good it's great; when it's bad it's still pretty good."
    95: San Francisco, San Jose
    96: Seattle
    97: Oakland
    98: Sacramento
    00: Sacramento, Mt. View, Portland
    02: Seattle (2)
    03: Mt. View, Las Vegas, Phoenix
    05: Vancouver
    06: Albany, Hartford, Denver (2), LA (2), SF (3)
    08: Santa Barbara & San Diego (EV), Camden II, Washington DC, MSG II
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Julien wrote:

apart from a few songs on up I don't like it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Thirty-six threads and not one mention of Lifes Rich Pageant? Nothing for Reckoning? Nothing for Fables? Heck, I don't think MURMUR's even in here anywhere!

Without sounding like an old "remember when" jackass that everyone hates, I can remember listening to college radio in the mid-80s when all my friends were into like Loverboy and Night Ranger and Sammy Hagar and crap, and thinking that liking those early REM albums was like being in some secret "cool" club. I'll always love the early stuff. Call me "the apologist" I guess.

Sorry gang, I love R.E.M., and I respect everyone's opinions, but my feeling is that the last 5-6 albums or so have been kinda "unessential" if that's the word. Sure, there are some gems in there, but overall, they just don't really knock me over.

Though I guess I'd say that I feel about R.E.M. albums the same way Yogi Berra once compared pizza to sex:

"When it's good it's great; when it's bad it's still pretty good."

I am kind of with you on this. They lost me too a while back, although I still love their sound.
    My favorite songs are 'SO. central rain' and 'Perfect Circle'...oh and 'World Leader Pretend'...but that's cuz Micheals talking on that one ;) Read the lyrics of that song..AMAZING! And still very applicable to these days I would say.
    I kept track of them until Monster. Somehow I did not feel like listening their latest cd's more then three times or so. Maybe I should give it another go!
    I would love to see them live once again. They blew off a concert here once a day before they would come and I had this nice little ticket..grrr.

Just put Green in the media player here...Nice.!!.
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I'll never understand the bad rep that Around The Sun gets..I thought it was a really good one...definitely tons better than Reveal..which I believe to be the worst one that R.E.M. have made. It's not bad..it just could have been a lot better.

And to get back to the point..yes New Adventures in Hi Fi is definitely a great one! I remember buying it and No Code on the same day!

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    im a post 88 listener

but if i had to rank em

1.AFTP
    2.monster
    3.out of time
    4.NAIHF
    5.UP

the rest
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • What are Reveal and Up like soundwise? I heard they weren't up to scratch but people say that about NAIHF and i love that album.