R.E.M. - E-Bow the letter + leave

JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I'm just listening to new adventures in hi-fi (wonderful album) and..
... THOSE TWO FUCKING SONGS ARE INCREDIBLE, AWESOME !!!
2006: Antwerp, Paris
2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
2009: Rotterdam, London
2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Easily my favorite R.E.M. album, it's REM's "Yield"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    definitely a great album.....I LOVE "How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us" and "Electrolite"
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Leave and Departure are my two favs.

#1 on my list of bands yet to see.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I think "So Fast, So Numb" wins as my favorite on that album
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Easily my favorite R.E.M. album, it's REM's "Yield"

No it isn't, it's REM's best! :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Taken from Wikipedia:

On August 31, 2006, Michael Stipe appeared on BBC1's Breakfast programme to give a brief interview, during which he mentioned that the band were to meet in the studio in September 2006 to commence work on the next studio album.

On September 16, 2006, the band, including Berry, performed during the ceremony to honor their induction into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. [5] While the group rehearsed for the ceremony, it was "considering recording something for a yet-to-be-announced charitable project," according to a post from manager Bertis Downs on R.E.M.'s website. This will mark the first time Berry has worked with the band since his departure almost a decade ago.

Who knows, maybe he'll join them in the studio...
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    indeed, incredible. not a bad note on that CD.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    This record is their high water mark as far as their late career Warner Bros albums go, and arguably their best over all. I know it is my favorite. As far R.E.M. records go it really has it all: the harder edged stuff that seemed so forced on Monster, yet somehow comes out perfect on NAIHF, the folksy ballad type stuff that reminds you where they came from as a band, and even weirded out experiements like "Leave."

Seriously I love this fucking record.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Brother, can you see those birds
    They don't look to heaven
    They don't need religion, they can see
    They go down to the water
    Drink down of the water
    Fly up off the water, leave me be
    But this is not my dream, sister
    It is cold in heaven, and no one's coming after me.

Some of my favorite Stipe lyrics, from "Undertow".
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Julien wrote:

Yeah...not much of a fan of REM but this album is sweet...for sure
    Master of Zen
  • This is also my favorite R.E.M album.

It's funny, R.E.M. is probably my second favorite band all-time behind Pearl Jam, and my favorite records from each (No Code and New Adventures in Hi-Fi) came out exactly one week apart back in 1996.

If you had told me back then that those two records would mean what they mean to me today I probably would have had my doubts.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Julien wrote:

I love leave too. That's one of those songs that is gorgeous when it's so loud it totally fills up the room. :)

(New Adventures in Hi-Fi is my favorite REM CD anyway.)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Great album.....I remember they did a bunch of songs from NAIHF on the Monster tour, so once I heard the album, I recognized the songs from the concert.

Since then, I have often refrained from buying a few band's new releases so that the first time I ever hear the new songs is at their shows.....makes for good memories when I finally hear the song on the album.

I had just finished taking the CPA exam when the album came out, so it represented a sense of relief!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'm ready to see r.e.m. live again. they are so excellent!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Not my favourate REM album (I prefer Document, Automatic & Reveal) it's too long and too many fillers - but it does have some of the very, very best REM songs on including the E-bow, Leave & Electrolite.
  • I love this album, it holds great memories for me as it came out the same day as I started college, and I couldn't concentrate cos I just wanted to go to 'Our Price' and buy the frickin record!
    It's got a really beautiful 'wintery' sound to it, and it's easily my fave REM record. Wow, I can't believe it's over ten years old...
  • That is a stacked record. I love cranking "Binky the Doormat"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    kdpjam wrote:
    i'm ready to see r.e.m. live again. they are so excellent!

I love seeing them live....seen them on every tour since 1983 (high school)!

PJ may rock much harder, but REM has more rarities, so its always a surprise to see what they pull out of the hat!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I love seeing them live....seen them on every tour since 1983 (high school)!

PJ may rock much harder, but REM has more rarities, so its always a surprise to see what they pull out of the hat!

I saw them once during the monster tour in 1995.
    It was fantastic, reallly great show...
    I would like to see them again...
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Leave is easily one of the most beautiful REM songs...

Its all gone gradually down hill since Berry left :(
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Soupy wrote:
    Not my favourate REM album (I prefer Document, Automatic & Reveal)

Heresy, I say! Reveal has no place next to Document or Automatic.

Around the Sun is even worse.

Leave is my favorite REM track. Probably in my top 10 songs from any band. Such an amazing tune.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Glad to see so many people love "Leave". I can't get it out of my mind since yesterday...
    I'm listening to New Adventures now, i forgot how awesome it is!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    This is a great album I concur.. I'm just playing some R.E.M. now as we speak.... I Believe. Awesome. Electrolite and E-Bow are my favs from that albu.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • My favourite R.E.M. album too...it always seems to be overlooked too, which is annoying.
  • KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Yep, big R.E.M fan too..although I most say they kind of lost me these last years. I was really into their very early stuff. But now that you've mentioned Adventures..I am definitely putting that one in the player today!

I love Micheals voice, especially when he's talking.
    Oh and what do you think of "Your Ghost" (Kristin Hersh's song with Micheal Stipe)?
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
    Yep, big R.E.M fan too..although I most say they kind of lost me these last years. I was really into their very early stuff. But now that you've mentioned Adventures..I am definitely putting that one in the player today!

I love Micheals voice, especially when he's talking.
    Oh and what do you think of "Your Ghost" (Kristin Hersh's song with Micheal Stipe)?

much better than around the sun let me tell you that wasn't theit best effort.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    AndySlash wrote:
    Heresy, I say! Reveal has no place next to Document or Automatic.

Around the Sun is even worse.

Reveal is a very good album, it flows well and there is nothing that sounds awdward or out of place. While it may lack a real 'classic' song (I wouldn't place any track of 'Reveal' in my top 10 or maybe even top 20 REM songs) it wins though on consistancy, something lacking on alot of other REM albums.

Yep 'Around The Sun' is abit of a dud, although 'Leaving New York' and 'Electron Blue' are both amazing songs - shame most of the other are either average of just plain bad.
    Reveal I didnt like for a long time but its easily their best work since adventures in hi-fi. I've been high is amazing.

Zoso wrote:
    Reveal I didnt like for a long time but its easily their best work since adventures in hi-fi. I've been high is amazing.

I like Reveal, but I am a huge fan of Up. I believe i'll be alone in this though, as few people seem to like that album.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~