Why the hate for Audioslave?

edited September 2006 in Other Music
I just bought Out of Exile after having their self titled for awhile and I think both albums are great. The only weak spot I see in Audioslave is that Tom Morello has a solo in practically every single song.Other than that I see nothing bad at all. Chris is still a great singer. I can't wait for the new album and I think Original Fire is great.

Calling all Audioslave fans!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• personally i love that morello has so many solos. its like classic rock in that way and solos are one my absolute fav things about hard rock. i really think that the AS bashers are fans in the making. i love the first two albums, especially out of exile. it came along when i really needed to have some hard rock that was somehow uplifting. dandelion is my current AS fav. i can't wait for the new one. you can't co wrong with cornell plus those guys. that is the truth and i think that obviously bothers some haters.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    they are really fucking bad. That is why I do not like them. I can't speak for anyone else but I suspect their answers might be similar. Reversedarwin, you can quite obviously go wrong with cornell and the dudes from rage, apparently.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • so you guys cancel each other out?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Oh joy, ANOTHER Audioslave thread, cause there weren't enough already.......
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Whats so funny about peace, love and understanding?:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Zzzzzzzzz...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Q: Why the hate for Audioslave?

A: Because the output does not meet the potential...not even close.
  • Echoes wrote:
    they are really fucking bad. That is why I do not like them. I can't speak for anyone else but I suspect their answers might be similar. Reversedarwin, you can quite obviously go wrong with cornell and the dudes from rage, apparently.

mmmm......i think this is exactly the type of poster i was talking about. and somebody said something about not living up to their potential, if only you could be in control. some people just like to bitch, constantly. really, its ok that a lot of pearl jam fans like audioslave. on another AS thread someone listed four recent albums they thought were better. 3 out of 4 of those were crap to me, but thats just my opinion. i can stay away from bitching about them or even reading about them, but why can't you? oh well, lets keep talking about audioslave.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    You know what this board needs? Another Audioslave thread. I can't believe no one talks about them. I mean COME ON. It's Chris from Soundgarden (fuck yeah) with the dudes from Rage Against The Machine (fuck yeah). How can it go wrong?

Well it did go wrong...horribly horribly wrong.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    mmmm......i think this is exactly the type of poster i was talking about. and somebody said something about not living up to their potential, if only you could be in control. some people just like to bitch, constantly. really, its ok that a lot of pearl jam fans like audioslave. on another AS thread someone listed four recent albums they thought were better. 3 out of 4 of those were crap to me, but thats just my opinion. i can stay away from bitching about them or even reading about them, but why can't you? oh well, lets keep talking about audioslave.

I like Audioslave but you can't expect there not to be people posting opinions like that in a thread titled "Why the Hate for Audioslave?". Someone asked, someone answered.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279

yeah dude, they just asked a question, I figured I would answer. Sorry you had to read something you don't agree with
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    yeah dude, they just asked a question, I figured I would answer. Sorry you had to read something you don't agree with

yeah i was answering the question too. ya know, on why people have such drive to bitch about this band. seems like when someone lists other albums on an audioslave appreciation thread they are trying to pursuade. and god knows that isn't going to happen to any of us. i mean, could i convince any ot you that KISS sucks that didn't already think so?
  • ruberryruberry Posts: 15
    It would be impossible to live up to the expectation for a Soundgarden-Ratm supergroup. Audioslave isn't as good as either. That being said, I do like them... even though I used to hate them. Maybe all the haters are future fans...
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    there are possibly 'why the hate for PJ' posted on other boards its just an opinion and there will always be opposing sides no matter what band it is (even Zeppelin! Yes Zep!).

I also think AS have great talent and potential but never lived up 2 it and not even close. Cochise is their career highlight.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Zoso wrote:
    I also think AS have great talent and potential but never lived up 2 it and not even close. Cochise is their career highlight.
    That "never lived up to it" bit...

Words like that strike me so odd; it's as if you folks think that Audioslave *proper* has been making music for 15-20 years or so. They debuted in 2002....it's only 2006!

With that said, I like the band's music just fine. I don't compare it to PJ or Soundgarden or RATM or Celine Dion or Eminem or anything else. I just let it stand on it's own and it stands fine with me.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    dharma69 wrote:
    That "never lived up to it" bit...

Words like that strike me so odd; it's as if you folks think that Audioslave *proper* has been making music for 15-20 years or so. They debuted in 2002....it's only 2006!

With that said, I like the band's music just fine. I don't compare it to PJ or Soundgarden or RATM or Celine Dion or Eminem or anything else. I just let it stand on it's own and it stands fine with me.

from the music business standpoint, pretty much all bands have about a 5 year shelf life in the limelight.....4 years is a long time by today's music standards.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    from the music business standpoint, pretty much all bands have about a 5 year shelf life in the limelight.....4 years is a long time by today's music standards.
    You know that's probably very, very true.

But it'll take more than 4 years for me to judge this band or any other in the vein of a "career".

Let's all get to back to one another in 6 years or so. With 10 years under their belt then I'll be up for this kind of talk.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I had no expectatations for audioslave whatsoever considering cornell is terrible, and they still ended up sucking. I really thought this would be the one time cornell would do something I enjoyed.

I was wrong.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • audiosalve<soundgarden
    soundgarden>rage
    rage<audioslave

i dont like rage, thats the band out of the 3 i dont like. to me they're like korn, and system of a down. there a band your obsessed with for a bit, then u grow up. rage is better than system and korn though.
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    I had no expectatations for audioslave whatsoever considering cornell is terrible, and they still ended up sucking. I really thought this would be the one time cornell would do something I enjoyed.

I was wrong.

To be honest if Soundgarden/Temple of the dog/Euphoria Morning didn't float your boat, what were the realistic chances of Audioslave doing anything for you? It's quite obvious you don't like the guy's style, which ultimately isn't going to change that radically from project to project.
  • Why cant people just accept we all have individual tastes, some people like Audioslave some hate them.
    This is a message board where people express opinions, People are free to express their like/dislike of bands.
    Some of you people need to start realising that once you've stated your opinion on a band, there's going to be people who state their opinion which is likely to be either in agreement or disagreement of yours, it's here where you have to rise above and respect the difference of opinion rather than turning it in to a slagging match.
    Thank you, now carry on.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Why cant people just accept we all have individual tastes, some people like Audioslave some hate them.
    This is a message board where people express opinions, People are free to express their like/dislike of bands.
    Some of you people need to start realising that once you've stated your opinion on a band, there's going to be people who state their opinion which is likely to be either in agreement or disagreement of yours, it's here where you have to rise above and respect the difference of opinion rather than turning it in to a slagging match.
    Thank you, now carry on.

True, true. But some people seem to like bashing bands over and over again. If you don't like the things you hear, just stop listening to em. I do think it's good to have many different opinions, but not well argumentated ones are just irritating me constantly.

Right, carry on. ;)
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion and when I want your opinion I'll tell it to you
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • I have finally understood why I hate Audioslave so much, no band (on another bands forum) deserves a million threads devoted to them. After seeing all these threads, I don't want to hear Audioslave, see Audioslave, think of Audioslave, or smell Audioslave
  • To be honest if Soundgarden/Temple of the dog/Euphoria Morning didn't float your boat, what were the realistic chances of Audioslave doing anything for you? It's quite obvious you don't like the guy's style, which ultimately isn't going to change that radically from project to project.

I enjoyed like one or two records by RATM. that's why my expectations were higher.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Q: Why the hate for Audioslave?

A: Because the output does not meet the potential...not even close.

how do you know?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I have finally understood why I hate Audioslave so much, no band (on another bands forum) deserves a million threads devoted to them. After seeing all these threads, I don't want to hear Audioslave, see Audioslave, think of Audioslave, or smell Audioslave

this is about it. there are a lot of bands i dont particularly care for, but few get the kind of mindless unwarranted praise audioslave does and im convinced it has little to do with audioslave's music and a lot to do with fanboy worship of cornell just becos eddie's his friend. cornell is the most over-rated singer i think ive ever heard... certainly in pearl jam circles. people act like he can do no wrong. he can, and he has.

that's why i hate audioslave. im annoyed by how much i have to hear about them. i havent listened to an audioslave song since like a stone. anytime they came on the radio, it sounded like the same song over and over and over and i just change the channel now. they're overhyped and in my face and it gets old. if there werent people left and right falling over themselves to kiss their ass, i wouldnt give them a second thought.
  • brainofPJ wrote:
    how do you know?

based on cornell's talent...after hearing what he's done with soundgarden and his solo career, audioslave looks like a publicity stunt in his collection of work. i have always thought tom morello was a rediculously overated guitar player, which he still is, and an even worse song writer. here's the audioslve structure:

-set the tempo at something like 98-130
    -main riff
    -verse
    -chorus
    -verse
    -chorus
    -bridge
    -solo
    -quiet verse or chorus
    -loud chorus

every fucking song.

even the ramones who barely knew what they hell they were doing mixed it up.

just my opinion!!!
  • audiosalve<soundgarden
    soundgarden>rage
    rage<audioslave

i dont like rage, thats the band out of the 3 i dont like. to me they're like korn, and system of a down. there a band your obsessed with for a bit, then u grow up. rage is better than system and korn though.

pretty much sums it up for me.
  • Source of hate? Let's see, here's a group of individually talented people who have lots of fans. Now they're in a mediocre group and now the haters have a reason to bash and bash. And the bashing, sadly, is very much warranted.

Theory #2: Adding from the first one, they have a singer who is talented, good-looking and popular. Perfect combo for hate.

What old Chris wants to tell you all:

Cry, if you want to cry
    If it helps you see
    If it clears your eyes

Hate, if you want to hate
    If it keeps you safe
    If it makes you brave

Take, if you want a slice
    If you want a piece
    If it feels alright

Don't come over here
    And piss on my gate