Options

Kiedis's Cobain reenactment: Disrespectful?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oh again it's the disrespecting Kurt thing.

I for one got sick off all Cobain cock sucking, Kurt was some kinda Jesus while Eddie wasn't for real, but at least Vedder's still here and his lyrics make sence, when is everyone gonna get off this Nirvana were the best band in the world, they wern't even the best band in seattle let alone the world.

In the Uk we have to hear countless time that the Stone Roses Debut ( a great record no denying) is the most important and best British album of all time. Count the amount of times it ends up at No. 1, Yeah thats right it's better than revolver , Darkside, Led Zep 1, Ziggy Stardust. I don't think so, their is just a habit of elevating bands and artists who deliver one great record then burn out to mythical status, it pisses me off, so if the chili peppers are taking the piss or playing homage who gives a Fuck Cobain was a human being and a pretty flawed one at that so stop lionising some Junky who wrote handful of good songs and then checked out
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    I will still listen to my Nirvana albums, but I completely agree with the people that say they haven't held up over time like some other bands. Do I listen to Nevermind as often as say Trompe Le Monde, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Badmotorfinger or any number of other albums simply from 1991? Not even close.

Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter who made some pretty stupid, undefendable decisions which I think greatly tarnishes any lasting image he has. It shouldn't take away from the work he did as a musician, but in a lot of peoples opinions it does.

I personally don't think the Dani California video was disrespectful in anyway. Well, maybe to Dave Grohl a bit.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    Not to change the subject.. but since it already has..

Nirvana was the weakest band from the era.

Pixies (little before, but since you already mentioned them...)
    Pearl Jam
    Screaming Trees
    SOUNDGARDEN
    Alice
    Mother Love Bone even..

Nirvana just doesn't hold up.

look at the unplugged show.. what were the highlights?

when the meatpuppets came out and showed Kurt what playing a guitar well looked like..

and their Bowie and Ledbelly covers..

and maybe all apologies..

Great band (nirvana) but don't try to compare them to the rest of that crowd...

and in Utero beat the hell out of Nevermind :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    riantLoVEsuriantLoVEsu Posts: 74
    You know, you all are whacked with your sensitive selves. It was a tribute -- not a mockery! Ok, maybe a little chiding involved, but that is their sense of humor intact, its still a tribute. get over yourself.

Wakin' up, feeling rough
    Totally stressed
    Every day it's a dead time
    Step by step
    Hit a wall, took a fall
    To a new depth
    Count to ten, focusin'
    Take a deep breath

In a world that is close to breakin'
    I thought that you were my friend
    In a world that is full of hatin'
    And about to descend
    I just smile and pretend

I'm a million miles away from it all
    And let it go right over my head
    Let 'em chase and the winner take all
    And let it go right over my head
    Over my head, yeah
    Over my head
    Over my head

Everywhere, everyone
    Questioning me
    Are you ill? Are you well?
    Do you like being free?
  • Options
    is that a new RHCP song or did you pull it out of your ass? :confused:

"Make our day"
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    when the meatpuppets came out and showed Kurt what playing a guitar well looked like..

Have you heard Meatpuppets own version of their songs?

I dont know if it was Kurt or their own guitar playing that made them sound good but the Meatpuppets versions of the 3 songs on Unplugged absolutly blow, lol.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    wow...a lot of cobain bashing going on here..but without Nirvana, none of the other "superior" bands would've been heard. Cobain was flawed, and maybe his music wasn't technically complex, but it was still great music, which to this day, despite being so "easy", has never been replicated. Try as they might, the imitators sound nothing like Nirvana, and no one ever will. There was such passion and genuine authenticity in the music. And he always gave kudos to his influences, the pixies etc. Let's face it, smells like teen spirit knocked Michael Jackson from the top of the charts...who else could've done that? That was a fucking good thing, and the floodgates opened..Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and a ton of others all had major success because of it.

I haven't seen the RHCP video and dont really care to..but the Cobain scene probably wouldn't offend me.
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    Have you heard Meatpuppets own version of their songs?

I dont know if it was Kurt or their own guitar playing that made them sound good but the Meatpuppets versions of the 3 songs on Unplugged absolutly blow, lol.
    meatpuppets can't sing i know that,.. but they played 3 of the best songs nirvana has ever had credited to them that night.

Kurt did make the song too,.. but the guitars were even more important.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    riantLoVEsuriantLoVEsu Posts: 74
    Ah yes i pulled it straight out my azz just for you--want to tell me how it smells chickadee??? Im pretty sure its real sweet to such an wonder hole muff diver like you! And are u all of 12 years old, maybe, or just too stupid to recognize all and anything resembling truth?

...so if the chili peppers are taking the piss or playing homage who gives a Fuck Cobain was a human being and a pretty flawed one at that so stop lionising some Junky who wrote handful of good songs and then checked out...

Now that was spoke. Amen brother! May Curt Cobain rest in rock n roll heaven.

:)
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    The video uses artists who have made a huge impact on music today. It wasn't disrespect, although I agree they shouldn't have done it, they should have picked a far better band.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    se4nh4rtse4nh4rt Posts: 55
    If anything, it was paying homage to the legends of rock. I mean, Nirvana did open up for RHCP on their west coast tour in 1991 along with their supposed rivals Pearl Jam. If anything, RHCP was reenacting out of appreciation.
    Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too

-EV
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I don't think it was meant disrespectfully at all. Anthony even said himself about the video that they were honouring each past phase in rock and roll. Key defining moments. It was just about capturing that in one go. Come on playing the part of Nirvana was probably the easiest out of all the grunge bands, and they needed people to realise they were talking about that particular genre.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Anybody that thinks its disrespectful is being a pussy.

Whoever said the only reason people heard of PJ, SG, AIC etc. etc. needs to do some reading.

The groundwork for PJ was put into place long before Nirvana, and they had a record deal before Nevermind was released.

SG was critically acclaimed before Nirvana, and Badmotorfinger smokes everything Nirvana did.

AIC was the epitome of grunge. Its the one band from Seattle that truly fits the label. I cant think of a work to better describe their music.

Nirvana was the weakest band from the scene. The lyrics are all way overrated. No way can they stand with PJ or AIC. And, aside from the drumming, their technical skills leave alot to be desired, esp when compared to the other big 3.

Nirvana fans wanna think that nobody else woulda made it without them, but thats just not true.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    Well considering these are the same guys that got famous for putting socks on their dicks it didn't really surprise me. I was almost waiting for the part where they'd mock Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

they weren't "mocking" Nirvana....it was a tribute. Not disrespectful at all
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bump........... (see new write-up on initial post)
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options
    mattmanmattman Posts: 12
    I didn't find it disrespectful at all. At the end of the clip Kiedis sings "gone too fast." If anything, it was a respectful homage to the man. Kiedis and the Chilis are original, and were popular around the time Nirvana was. If anything, they are paying respect to their peers.

What I find truly disrespectful are all these post grunge wanabees that try to mimic the sounds of Cobain and other grunge groups.

Kiedis was simply paying respect to the man. If it came off as disrespectful, it certainly wasn't the band's intent.

Also, if I recall correctly, Nirvana loved the mock video that Weird Al made about them. I'm pretty certain that Kurt would not have minded if the rhcps mimicked him in one of their videos.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,825
    this is kurt cobain we're talking about.....the man wrote a song about beans, a moist vagina, and marijuana.

i dont think he took himself too seriously as an artist nor should we.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Not to change the subject.. but since it already has..

Nirvana was the weakest band from the era.

Pixies (little before, but since you already mentioned them...)
    Pearl Jam
    Screaming Trees
    SOUNDGARDEN
    Alice
    Mother Love Bone even..

Nirvana just doesn't hold up.

look at the unplugged show.. what were the highlights?

and their Bowie and Ledbelly covers..

and maybe all apologies..

Great band (nirvana) but don't try to compare them to the rest of that crowd...

and in Utero beat the hell out of Nevermind :cool:

I agree.

As for the disrespectful......the man made millions of dollars and then killed himself. Then he was some kind of rock martyr. I thought he was overhyped and not nearly talented enough to fit his own reputation. If he was murdered ,maybe (and im not goingi in to all the conspericy theories).

How many people mock Elvis .
    Its part of the game.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    When I made the initial post, I thought my point was obvious, and that many would agree. I was quite surprised, and maybe wouldn't have posted it, if I knew what reactions awaited me.
    And it was weird to come to discover that Kurt Cobain really means a lot to me personally, more for me than for anyone else who responded to my post. Some things you can't explain easily. I don't even listen to his music too much. I could go on and on about my life, and what I was going through during the early 1990's, and why I was affected in the way I was my Nirvana, and in particular Kurt, but the why's and the how's maybe aren't the most important things here. It just is, it's just a condition I have. Although to give you a glimpse, it just seemed that we had things in common, important, deep and sucky things that brought us to the edge of death, and for him, to death. I knew his depressing depths.
    Some say that he didn't take himself seriously. Sometimes he didn't, but sometimes I'm sure he did. Some say we shouldn't take him too seriously. Too late for me, I do. And honestly, I love him. Not in a psycho way, mind you, but as an inspiration. Some ask how can someone who shot himself be an inspiration. Well, I remember the accomplishments he had before he shot himself, and I know of some of his experiences, and I just felt a connection to him like I've had for no other public figure. This may not be logical (why put him before people who have cured diseases and led progressive political movements), but emotions aren't logical always.
    So, to the people who don't like Kurt Cobain on this board, who I enjoy speaking and debating with since I definitely respect that to many people he's just another musician, please respect that I love Kurt Cobain for personal reasons. As people passionate about music, we all probably have some musical figure, or music, that means a lot to us. I'm stuck with Kurt, and I guess I shouldn't fight it.
    So, now that I've put together my feelings on the subject, I am definitely a biased person when it comes to analyzing what happened with the video. It's just a fucking video, I know this. But my emotions don't know this. So, I hate it.
    That being said, I like the Peppers, and I actually really respect David Grohl, despite the fact that I said he has poor taste in the revised initial post. Grohl is a great drummer, and I really respect the fact that he carried on with his own band after Nirvana. He has an awesome sense of humor. I really love the first Foo Fighters record, and was in awe of him when that came out (wrote all songs, played all instruments). Liked the second album too. I've seen them live at least three times, and he's the best. So why did I say Grohl has poor taste. Heat of the moment to make an argument. And, in defense of him in this situation, he may have felt pressure to agree with what the Peppers were doing. Wouldn't it be awkward to tell someone that they're doing something in poor taste with respect to the dead? That's kind of an awkward thing to say. I would bet that Grohl isn't too happy that his name is being dropped as an endorser of the video. (here I go again.)
    And as to whether Flea was kicking and screaming, I obviously don't know this. But I definitely want to believe this.
    And, I truly still do believe that the record company put them up to it. Corporate greed and art are such a mismatch sometimes. But it's part of the reality of today's culture, and it's interesting how the two interrelate.
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options
    Y2A 66Y2A 66 Posts: 11
    This is ridiculous...maybe they just really like Cobain and wanted to have Kiedis portraying him in their video. I don't see what this disrespect is all about. I mean I love Kurt Cobain and his music but people treat him like he is god just because he's dead.
    saw things so much clearer...
    want you...in my....REARVIEW MIRROR
    ---
    One thing that I know for sure gonna give her the loving
    Like nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody can.
  • Options
    ChielChiel Posts: 2
    Kiedis has said in an interview that Kurt Cobain was the best performer of the last 15 years and that he always was in awe with his art and music...
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    why do we glorify someone who was cowardly and blew his head off??

he is NO rock god and never will be....period

as far as the video it was harmless and nothing distasteful...why is there no cry for any of the other parodies???

like someone said just because he killed himself does that mean he gets a pass at getting mocked a little?? if anything he should be mocked more

look how videos mock Elvis?? being fat and on drugs at the end of his life and he is the King of Rock n Roll and did more for music than Cobain ever could of
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    If a band that wasn't around when Nirvana were did the same thing I would be more at ease with it. But the fact that they were releasing albums, touring and such at the same time makes it slightly in poor taste. I guess its a generational thing...bit more risqe (sp?)
    to imitate a fellow band around at the same time than one in past decades.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    who cares?
  • Options
    Is every band who has been parodied over the years (note: I say 'parodied', not 'mocked') still living? Hendrix has had this treatment forever, and no-one cries over it.

The fact that Cobain killed himself only gives it less reason to be sentimentalised, IMO. Not more.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison