3 bands who belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Jim ColyerJim Colyer Posts: 17
edited March 2007 in Other Music
1 ABBA - ABBA from Sweden sold 400 million records and had 9 number ones in the UK. They recorded 110 songs in English 1972-82. Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me & The Winner Takes It All are among their hits. All 4 members of ABBA have had successful solo careers: Agnetha Faltskog, Frida Lyngstad, Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. Benny & Bjorn went into musical theatre with Chess & Kristina. Mamma Mia!, based on ABBA songs, is the biggest musical of the century and will be a movie in 2008.

2 THE GUESS WHO - This Canadian group should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Their string of hits includes These Eyes, American Woman & No Time. The Guess Who proved to be a prolific album band. Lead singer Burton Cummings may have the best voice in rock. Guitarist Randy Bachman founded Bachman-Turner Overdrive and recorded the classic Takin' Care Of Business.

3 STEPPENWOLF - John Kay and Steppenwolf achieved immortality with their multi-generational anthem Born To Be Wild. They were one of the first heavy metal groups and went on to produce albums of social and political substance. Kay and his mother escaped from Germany after World War II, and his background has played a role in his songwriting.
Jim Colyer wrote Save The Planet
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    4. Rush
    5. King Crimson
    6. Yes
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Yes, definetely Rush and Yes.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    There is a good reason those bands aren't in the HOF. They either blow, they're knockoffs, or they have no artistic integrity. The exception being Rush. I don't like Rush but do realize they are a legit band.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    culot4 wrote:
    There is a good reason those bands aren't in the HOF. They either blow, they're knockoffs, or they have no artistic integrity. The exception being Rush. I don't like Rush but do realize they are a legit band.

Ok, so you agree with Rush, but Steppenwolf? You think they're a knock off? I disagree. Also, Yes?? Its hard for me to fathom why you think they have no artistic integrity, or are a knockoff. Please, enlighten me. Same also goes for King Crimson.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Steppenwolf was the heaviest band in music in 1968-69. They were exploring social and political themes few bands would touch. Born To Be Wild was used in the cult film Easy Rider. John Kay is a powerful presence to this day.
    Steppenwolf is going to the pool hall in your Camaro music. Its testosterone fueled cock rock full of simple, unoriginal instrumentation, and even simpler lyrics. I can't tell the difference between Steppenwolf, Foghat, Bad Company, or any of that shit. Magic Carpet Ride may have been a good song but Steppenwolf sure as shit didn't do enough for at least 25 years to earn the right to be inducted into the Hall.

King Crimson can write as many 8 minute songs as they want but it doesn't change the fact they were boring.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • You express yourself well but you are wrong about Steppenwolf.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    The only song I ever enjoyed by Steppenwolf was "Ladies Only".
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    First of all, Abba is not rock music

Second of all Rush are dreadful

That being said, heres some more bands that should be in it

The Cars
    Journey (I know they are a bit cheesy and considered corporate but that got incredibly talented musicians and plenty of hits to back it up)
    Joy Division
    Steve Miller Band
    Genesis

Thats all I can think of right now.........I always forget who is in and who is not
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Steppenwolf is a performing band today, 40 years later.

Steppenwolf official http://www.steppenwolf.com/

I agree, the Steve Miller Band should be in the RRHOF.

There have been complaints that HOF inductees reflect the taste of the folks who started the Hall in 1983.
  • First of all, Abba is not rock music

Second of all Rush are dreadful

That being said, heres some more bands that should be in it

Journey (I know they are a bit cheesy and considered corporate but that got incredibly talented musicians and plenty of hits to back it up)

Thats all I can think of right now.........I always forget who is in and who is not

That's how I feel about Rush except they are not cheesy and certainely not dreadful.
    That's how I feel about Rush except they are not cheesy and certainely not dreadful.

Those hideous woman vocals make me cringe.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I'd say of the bands mentioned here.....it should definitely be ( keeping up with the 3 theme)

1. Rush
    2. Steve Miller Band
    3. The Cars

Yes, Steppenwolf and The Guess Who should definitely be in! As far as ABBA.....I'll just assume the original poster was drunk.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • culot4 wrote:
    Steppenwolf is going to the pool hall in your Camaro music. Its testosterone fueled cock rock full of simple, unoriginal instrumentation, and even simpler lyrics. I can't tell the difference between Steppenwolf, Foghat, Bad Company, or any of that shit. Magic Carpet Ride may have been a good song but Steppenwolf sure as shit didn't do enough for at least 25 years to earn the right to be inducted into the Hall.

King Crimson can write as many 8 minute songs as they want but it doesn't change the fact they were boring.
    Reason #1 Steppenwolf should be in the HOF:

The Pusher.

enough said.

The Guess Who have a great shot at it..

ABBA is a shit disco pop band. Britney Spears has platnum albums too.

Rush definetly, Yes definetly. King Crimson definetly. Those are probably the 3 best american (or in the case of king crimson british/australian) prog rock bands ever.

I thought the Cars were already in (obviously they aren't if you listed them, but they should be) and the Steve Miller Band is gonna get in or get really close if they don't.

The Pixies better get in when the time comes.. should be soon...5-10 years max.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jim Colyer wrote:
    Steppenwolf was the heaviest band in music in 1968-69.

Then along came Black Sabbath and changed the shape of music forever.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • some worthy bands have been mentioned, particularly rush, steve miller and yes, but how about mellencamp. very worthy in my opinion.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • some worthy bands have been mentioned, particularly rush, steve miller and yes, but how about mellencamp. very worthy in my opinion.

meh. although i do enjoy his music, a lot of his music seems to sound the same.

How about an induction for Jeff Buckley when the time comes? anyone? Grace may be one of the best albums at least of the nineties and maybe of the past 20 years. I'm sorry if you disagree, but that's my opinion. If his life hadn't ended so suddenly, his music would have only gotten better. I mean look at Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk. There are some great classic songs on that album a la Nightmares by the Sea, Everybody Here Wants You, etc.

Another who needs mention is Nick Drake. He may not have been very well known in his day but his music has so much feeling and he is an excellent songwriter.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • meh. although i do enjoy his music, a lot of his music seems to sound the same.

How about an induction for Jeff Buckley when the time comes? anyone? Grace may be one of the best albums at least of the nineties and maybe of the past 20 years. I'm sorry if you disagree, but that's my opinion. If his life hadn't ended so suddenly, his music would have only gotten better. I mean look at Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk. There are some great classic songs on that album a la Nightmares by the Sea, Everybody Here Wants You, etc.

Another who needs mention is Nick Drake. He may not have been very well known in his day but his music has so much feeling and he is an excellent songwriter.
    Buckley has GOT to get in. He had one of the greatest, purest voices in rock and roll history.

"Make our day"
  • The Replacements
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • RUSH

Genesis (for the artistic days of Gabriel, and the hit making days of collins)

and lets go for RUSH one more time...

and is Steely Dan in yet? they should be...
    http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    RUSH

Genesis (for the artistic days of Gabriel, and the hit making days of collins)

and lets go for RUSH one more time...

and is Steely Dan in yet? they should be...

steely dan is in.

cheap trick.

alice cooper.

10cc.
  • Jim Colyer wrote:
    1 ABBA - ABBA from Sweden sold 400 million records and had 9 number ones in the UK. They recorded 110 songs in English 1972-82. Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me & The Winner Takes It All are among their hits. All 4 members of ABBA have had successful solo careers: Agnetha Faltskog, Frida Lyngstad, Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. Benny & Bjorn went into musical theatre with Chess & Kristina. Mamma Mia!, based on ABBA songs, is the biggest musical of the century and will be a movie in 2008.

2 THE GUESS WHO - This Canadian group should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Their string of hits includes These Eyes, American Woman & No Time. The Guess Who proved to be a prolific album band. Lead singer Burton Cummings may have the best voice in rock. Guitarist Randy Bachman founded Bachman-Turner Overdrive and recorded the classic Takin' Care Of Business.

3 STEPPENWOLF - John Kay and Steppenwolf achieved immortality with their multi-generational anthem Born To Be Wild. They were one of the first heavy metal groups and went on to produce albums of social and political substance. Kay and his mother escaped from Germany after World War II, and his background has played a role in his songwriting.

ABBA - I don't know any of the music except, "dancing queen", which is a painfully horrible song. i'd rather listen to nickleback, its so bad. The world is full of sheep, so I'd have to hear something convincing.

The Guess Who - Fuck yes, they should be in. Surprised they're not.

someone mentioned Rush - of course, they should too.

Pixies - definately (don't think they sold 400 million copies?)

there are a lot that are due.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden belong there, IMO.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rush.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    ABBA- Hell no
    The Guess Who- No
    Steppenwolf- No
    The Cars- Yes
    Journey- Yes
    Steve Miller- Yes
    Joy Division- No
    Genesis- Maybe
    Rush- Yes
    Cheap Trick- Maybe
    Alice Cooper- No
    The Pixies- Yes
    10cc-No
    Buckley- No
    The Replacements- Maybe
    Nick Drake-No
    Yes- Maybe

The most glaring omission of any snubbed band has got to be Kiss. First and foremost I am not a fan, but its hard to believe they haven't been inducted.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I believe at this point, Rush is one of the most deserving bands yet to be inducted.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    brain of c wrote:
    steely dan is in.

cheap trick.

alice cooper.

10cc.
    Cheap Trick & Alice Cooper belong in the hall......10cc would probably only get a vote from you. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Kiss
    Stooges
    Iggy Pop
    Scorpions
    Bon Jovi
    Motely Crue
    Deep Purple
    Iron Maiden
    Rush
    Def Leppard
    Cheap Trick
    B-52s
    The Replacements
    Motorhead
    Sonic Youth
    Ted Nugent
    New York Dolls
    Joan Jett
    Social Distortion
    Boston
    Run DMC
    Metallica

Some of these are lame, and some are more influencial than others, but I think that all are eligible as of next year.
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • RunDMC, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Buckley, Social D, and probably a few others on these lists aren't even elligble yet. 25 years from first album release... but yes, they should be when they are elligible.
  • RunDMC, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Buckley, Social D, and probably a few others on these lists aren't even elligble yet. 25 years from first album release... but yes, they should be when they are elligible.
    Oh man Sonic Youth is a definite.

"Make our day"
    alaskadude wrote:
    Kiss
    Stooges
    Iggy Pop
    Scorpions
    Bon Jovi
    Motely Crue
    Deep Purple
    Iron Maiden
    Rush
    Def Leppard
    Cheap Trick
    B-52s
    The Replacements
    Motorhead
    Sonic Youth
    Ted Nugent
    New York Dolls
    Joan Jett
    Social Distortion
    Boston
    Run DMC
    Metallica

Some of these are lame, and some are more influencial than others, but I think that all are eligible as of next year.

Thats a bit of an ugly list.......thank god it wont be forever until some 90's bands can be introduced
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006