People who don't listen to music

2»

Comments

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    HushBull wrote:
    That just stuns me...That's like never having heard of the Bible.
    Pink Floyd are one of those bands that are massive for the last generation, but for teenagers/early 20s (maybe even stretching to mid and late 20s) today are a fairly cultish band other than the obvious hits. I like the occassional song (The Big Gig in the Sky is immense) but generally PF do nothing for me. The only full PF album I listen to is Dark Side of the Moon.

It's really not that hard to believe that young people don't listen to Pink Floyd. Their music hasn't really aged that well, too spacey and drawn out. Plenty of people may claim to like Pink Floyd, but very few would have heard all albums, just as many people like to claim they like David Bowie/Led Zeppelin/The Ramones/The Beatles/Jimi Hendrix having only heard the hits.

Oh, and most music fans of heard OF Comfortably Numb, many just haven't heard it. Just as everyone's heard OF the bible but not everyone has read it.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    fowls wrote:
    Pink Floyd are one of those bands that are massive for the last generation, but for teenagers/early 20s (maybe even stretching to mid and late 20s) today are a fairly cultish band other than the obvious hits. I like the occassional song (The Big Gig in the Sky is immense) but generally PF do nothing for me. The only full PF album I listen to is Dark Side of the Moon.

It's really not that hard to believe that young people don't listen to Pink Floyd. Their music hasn't really aged that well, too spacey and drawn out. Plenty of people may claim to like Pink Floyd, but very few would have heard all albums, just as many people like to claim they like David Bowie/Led Zeppelin/The Ramones/The Beatles/Jimi Hendrix having only heard the hits.

Oh, and most music fans of heard OF Comfortably Numb, many just haven't heard it. Just as everyone's heard OF the bible but not everyone has read it.

I'm soon to be 21, have heard most of everything by Pink Floyd (water's era), and much or most of every Zeppelin, Beatles, and Hendrix disc. Hmmm...my generation should look into a few of these guys. I don't understand how someone can enjoy a derivative without having atleast some interest in the creators.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    HushBull wrote:
    I'm soon to be 21, have heard most of everything by Pink Floyd (water's era), and much or most of every Zeppelin, Beatles, and Hendrix disc. Hmmm...my generation should look into a few of these guys. I don't understand how someone can enjoy a derivative without having atleast some interest in the creators.
    Obviously some people our age have, but my point is a majority of people don't. Everyone's heard Dark Side of the Moon and maybe some of The Wall, but past that the average joe 21 y.o. would be struggling. Out of all the big 70s bands I'd probably go as afar as to say that Pink Floyd are one of the most ignored. I'm sure some people would see that as some great "travesty rabble rabble rabble", but it's just the way it is. Looking at today's music Pink Floyd didn't really seem to influence many bands, apart from maybe Muse and Radiohead, definitely not as influential as say led Zepp or Hendrix.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    fowls wrote:
    Obviously some people our age have, but my point is a majority of people don't. Everyone's heard Dark Side of the Moon and maybe some of The Wall, but past that the average joe 21 y.o. would be struggling. Out of all the big 70s bands I'd probably go as afar as to say that Pink Floyd are one of the most ignored. I'm sure some people would see that as some great "travesty rabble rabble rabble", but it's just the way it is. Looking at today's music Pink Floyd didn't really seem to influence many bands, apart from maybe Muse and Radiohead, definitely not as influential as say led Zepp or Hendrix.

They have influenced a lot more bands than just those two, I can assure you of that. They gave a whole generation of bands a reason to make drone and noise, "art".
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    HushBull wrote:
    They have influenced a lot more bands than just those two, I can assure you of that. They gave a whole generation of bands a reason to make drone and noise, "art".
    You mean Pink Floyd are responible for that? Goddamit, I don't like them anymore :(
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    Yeah, I am totally confused by people that don't really like music. People that just casually listen to radio and are just fine with talk radio instead are strange to me. Its just such a huge part of my life and I'd think its that way for the average person. If you have complete opposite taste as mine, but still really do like your music, I understand that.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown