People who don't listen to music

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I have a theory that you better keep your eye on people who 1.) Despise and mistreat animals, and 2.) Don't listen to and enjoy music. I've known a few people with both of those characteristics and they are all the most miserable, pessimistic folks in the world.
Ok, a dog or cat might not be your thing, but not listening/enjoying music is one that I just can't wrap my brain around. To me, music can fill any void in someone's life, give them something to lean on when they don't have, a voice that can often sympathize with their problems or just give them a reason to smile or dance or let go of themselves for a while.
So, I guess the question is what makes a person not like music? And what, if anything, does that say to you about them?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I am very suspicious of people who don't like music. *slanty-eyed-look*
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    I tend to be suspicious of people who don't like Pearl Jam. Omg, srsly lol, wtf! They must have something broke inside them.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I tend to be suspicious of people who don't like Pearl Jam. Omg, srsly lol, wtf! They must have something broke inside them.
    You got that right! Major screws loose! I don't know, it's just hard for me to comprehend how someone cannot find joy in music.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    there's people who don't listen to music? thats weirder than people who are happy all the time. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I've met a few people who just don't really care about music. I don't understand it. I can fully understand not loving a particular band like we love PJ, but I've known people who own a half dozen CDs and just listen to the radio passively all the time. I don't get how music isn't a part of your life to some degree...even if only a little bit. How can some piece of music not grab you?

However, I will disagree that they are bad people not to be trusted. I know that is said half in jest, but to each their own I suppose. As long as you are passionate about *something*, that's ok.

Wanna hear something odd? This was my blog entry on MySpace today:

Subject: Still half speechless from last night
    Current mood: confused
    Category: Life

If you ask people to name the top 3 classic rocks songs of all time, probably 90% would pick some combination of these 3 songs:

"Comfortably Numb"
    "Stairway to Heaven"
    "Freebird"

Right?

Sure there are others like "Hotel California", amongst a handful of others, that people would come up with, but those three are a pretty good trifecta of classic rock, right? They are always on the top of classic rock station countdowns.

Who doesn't know them?

My girlfriend's roommate, that's who.

25 years old, likes bands like Metallica and Queen (no complaints there), and he had never heard any of those songs. I simply cannot comprehend that. It's like when the 3 girls who lived below me senior year in college had not seen the Star Wars trilogy. I just didn't know that was possible. This blows my mind even more.

And when all was said and done, and I played "Stairway" & "Numb" for him (met with mild appreciation), he then asked if I had any Kinks on my iPod because he liked "Lola". I was like "How the hell do you know that song and yet, and yet…I….but….HUH?"

So I played "Lola" for him (as I love The Kinks), went back to beating him mercilessly at pool, and all was good.

He's lucky he's a nice guy. Hah.

-B-
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BinFrog wrote:
    It's like when the 3 girls who lived below me senior year in college had not seen the Star Wars trilogy. I just didn't know that was possible. This blows my mind even more.

i dont know how this is possible either. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I have a friend whose music collection consists of nothing but the Eagles box set. He likes to listen to music, but is one of those who passively listen to the radio and just isn't concerned with it. He's not a bad guy by any means and I was insinuating that people who don't like music are bad largely in jest, but most of the people I have known who didn't like music were a bit touched in the head....of course, I've known plenty who loved music and were quite demented, maybe there is no correlation, but it still makes no sense to me for someone not to like music.

The Star Wars thing (which is so true, where have they been) made me think of another example: a dear friend of mine, a girl in early 20s, had no clue who Jerry Rice was until he was on that stupid ass dancing show. She had no clue he was one of the greatest football players ever to put on a helmet. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of years ago when the newest edition of Madden football was unveiled in a cow pasture in the tiny town of Madden here, got his autograph for her and she asked why he was at the thing? "What," i said, "you do realize he is the greatest receiver ever to play football don't you?" "No, didn't know he played football." My head almost exploded

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    well im pretty pessimistic and pretty miserable but i sure like music. i listen to it all the time. stereo is even on when i sleep. i can talk hours about music given the chance.

the thing i dont get is people that are like yeah i like music but all they listen to is the radio. they act like big music fans but they own like 2 albums. usually they drive with out music (which id do too if i only had radio) but they have like a decent car stereo but they just dont listen to anything.

you cant even talk music with these people. radio sucks for the most part but if you comment on the song in any way the only response you get is i like this song. you cant even talk about it. you could be like this chorus is catchy or the guitar is kinda weak. all you get is i like this song, or i dont like this song. what kinda reponse is this from someone that claims they like music? i dont think people actually "listen" to music. they just hear it.

/end rant
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I think people who don't find a joy in music are incapable of being passionate. About anything. And they are by default generally quite boring.
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    gabers wrote:
    I think people who don't find a joy in music are incapable of being passionate. About anything. And they are by default generally quite boring.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    The answer is, Mormon. =P
    Now go drink some milk.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
    gabers wrote:
    I guess that was what I was trying to say originally. They are, in general, very absorbed in themselves and uncaring people in my experiences

• Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    People who don't like music are quite joyless,but as joyless and boring are the posers with the trendy haircuts who you see reading NME and listening to poncey richkids who pretend to be rockstars. (Libertines fans come to mind) They have to be the most boring human beings on the planet,I think any type of personality to the extreme is devoid of appeal to anyone.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    My theory:

If a person seriously does not care about music whatsoever, then he/she obviously does not like food. I mean cmon, not liking music is like not liking food, you just have to. That said, the person will obviously just die because of their refusal to eat, so its really no big deal.

that was a joke....
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I have a theory that you better keep your eye on people who 1.) Despise and mistreat animals, and 2.) Don't listen to and enjoy music.
    not listening/enjoying music is one that I just can't wrap my brain around. To me, music can fill any void in someone's life, give them something to lean on when they don't have, a voice that can often sympathize with their problems or just give them a reason to smile or dance or let go of themselves for a while.
    So, I guess the question is what makes a person not like music? And what, if anything, does that say to you about them?

you're so right!
    Ok, a dog or cat might not be your thing, but...

sorry
    but for me it's NOT fuckin' OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    HushBull wrote:
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    The answer is, Mormon. =P
    Now go drink some milk.

you mad me laugh! and at least 50 percent of a joke is true! ALWAYS!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I have a friend whose music collection consists of nothing but the Eagles box set. He likes to listen to music, but is one of those who passively listen to the radio and just isn't concerned with it. He's not a bad guy by any means and I was insinuating that people who don't like music are bad largely in jest, but most of the people I have known who didn't like music were a bit touched in the head....of course, I've known plenty who loved music and were quite demented, maybe there is no correlation, but it still makes no sense to me for someone not to like music.

The Star Wars thing (which is so true, where have they been) made me think of another example: a dear friend of mine, a girl in early 20s, had no clue who Jerry Rice was until he was on that stupid ass dancing show. She had no clue he was one of the greatest football players ever to put on a helmet. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of years ago when the newest edition of Madden football was unveiled in a cow pasture in the tiny town of Madden here, got his autograph for her and she asked why he was at the thing? "What," i said, "you do realize he is the greatest receiver ever to play football don't you?" "No, didn't know he played football." My head almost exploded

I think it's a safe bet that the vast majority of people outside the US have no idea who Jerry Rice is. I sure as hell don't

Anyway, yeah it's always weird when some one says they don't like music. How can someone make such a sweeping statement and mean it??? It doesn't make any sense.
    Similar thing, a while ago I was talking to a guy I know about a film I just saw (can't remember what i was), and I was yabbering away saying oh you should definitely go see this, it's like the best movie of the year. And he says back to me " I don't think I'll bother, I don't like movies" What the Fuck????
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    I think it's a safe bet that the vast majority of people outside the US have no idea who Jerry Rice is. I sure as hell don't

Anyway, yeah it's always weird when some one says they don't like music. How can someone make such a sweeping statement and mean it??? It doesn't make any sense.
    Similar thing, a while ago I was talking to a guy I know about a film I just saw (can't remember what i was), and I was yabbering away saying oh you should definitely go see this, it's like the best movie of the year. And he says back to me " I don't think I'll bother, I don't like movies" What the Fuck????
    Well you, my friend, get a pass on not knowing Jerry Rice, but my friend needed a good shaking for not knowing as he is from our area. More than that, she claims to be a football fan and anyone who doesn't know him is definitely not a fan of american football.
    As for the movies: I'm a guy who doesn't LOVE movies and I rarely see one, but I would never say flatly I don't like movies. It's a very similar thing to music. People are strange

• augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    most people are weird

normal is not worth striving for
  • My buddy i work along side( we're both joiners) he doesn't have any intrest in music, sure we listen to the radio at work but i know he thinks i'm odd for going off to gigs and the like. We still get on really well though! just different outlooks in life, although i nearly fell off a roof one day about 2yrs ago when the radio station we had on played "whole lotta love" and I said "i can't belive radio one's playing Led Zepplin!" and he said -i swear on my kids lives! " who the fuck are Led Zepplin?" and he was totally fuckin serious! because he took offence when i took the piss out of him for not knowing!! he can be a huffy wee git at times!
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    BinFrog wrote:
    I've met a few people who just don't really care about music. I don't understand it. I can fully understand not loving a particular band like we love PJ, but I've known people who own a half dozen CDs and just listen to the radio passively all the time. I don't get how music isn't a part of your life to some degree...even if only a little bit. How can some piece of music not grab you?

However, I will disagree that they are bad people not to be trusted. I know that is said half in jest, but to each their own I suppose. As long as you are passionate about *something*, that's ok.

Wanna hear something odd? This was my blog entry on MySpace today:

Subject: Still half speechless from last night
    Current mood: confused
    Category: Life

If you ask people to name the top 3 classic rocks songs of all time, probably 90% would pick some combination of these 3 songs:

"Comfortably Numb"
    "Stairway to Heaven"
    "Freebird"

Right?

Sure there are others like "Hotel California", amongst a handful of others, that people would come up with, but those three are a pretty good trifecta of classic rock, right? They are always on the top of classic rock station countdowns.

Who doesn't know them?

My girlfriend's roommate, that's who.

25 years old, likes bands like Metallica and Queen (no complaints there), and he had never heard any of those songs. I simply cannot comprehend that. It's like when the 3 girls who lived below me senior year in college had not seen the Star Wars trilogy. I just didn't know that was possible. This blows my mind even more.

And when all was said and done, and I played "Stairway" & "Numb" for him (met with mild appreciation), he then asked if I had any Kinks on my iPod because he liked "Lola". I was like "How the hell do you know that song and yet, and yet…I….but….HUH?"

So I played "Lola" for him (as I love The Kinks), went back to beating him mercilessly at pool, and all was good.

He's lucky he's a nice guy. Hah.

-B-

Why are you surprised that people don't know them? I know absoutely loads of people who wouldn't have heard those songs (I've never heard Comfortably Numb myself - am I not a 'true' fan of music?), and the same for the Star Wars trilogy thing (in fact, even more so).
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    What about people who have no hobbies at all?

My boss appears to have absolutely no interests at all... I find that weird.

He doesn't even act like he's interested in his own business. He doesn't listen to music, no sports, no garden or yard work, watches a little TV (likes Survivor), doesn't follow politics close enough to carry an educated conversation....I just can't figure the guy out.

I know several others like this as well and they kinda creep me out.
    the Minions
    muppet wrote:
    Why are you surprised that people don't know them? I know absoutely loads of people who wouldn't have heard those songs (I've never heard Comfortably Numb myself - am I not a 'true' fan of music?), and the same for the Star Wars trilogy thing (in fact, even more so).

Never have heard, Comfortably Numb... BULLSHIT!
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I don't think I've ever heard Comfortably Numb either (well unless the Scissor Sister's cover counts). It's not that hard to believe. I imagine there are quite a few people under 25 who haven't heard it.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • dustdust Posts: 133
    I once met a guy who only owned one CD

he was odd
  • reznors edgereznors edge Posts: 136
    My buddy i work along side( we're both joiners) he doesn't have any intrest in music, sure we listen to the radio at work but i know he thinks i'm odd for going off to gigs and the like. We still get on really well though! just different outlooks in life, although i nearly fell off a roof one day about 2yrs ago when the radio station we had on played "whole lotta love" and I said "i can't belive radio one's playing Led Zepplin!" and he said -i swear on my kids lives! " who the fuck are Led Zepplin?" and he was totally fuckin serious! because he took offence when i took the piss out of him for not knowing!! he can be a huffy wee git at times!

that's unbelievable... and scary at the same time. Zeppelin are the epitome of rock music. I don't think I could ever develop a meaningful friendship with anyone who doesn't share my enthusiasm for music. I never have actually. I would have to agree that it's a very dull and odd characteristic to have.
    It's no surprise that many of the German nazis back in the day were so indifferent to the arts and music.
    fowls wrote:
    I don't think I've ever heard Comfortably Numb either (well unless the Scissor Sister's cover counts). It's not that hard to believe. I imagine there are quite a few people under 25 who haven't heard it.

That just stuns me...That's like never having heard of the Bible.
  • paige_peachpaige_peach Posts: 35
    well, I guess this is a very Bias thread based on this message pit is for a band who plays music. I love music, but I'm just going to stick up for those weirdos a second.

Some people just don't possess the musical or fine art appreciation... They probably think hardcore music lovers like us are crazy! Well, just saying.
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    If I had to choose between being deaf or blind, I would easily choose being blind. I can't think of anything as joyful as music-not even sex. Maybe I'm too into music but I listen to at least 5 new albums every week.

I went out with a girl a few times that said she had never heard of Pearl Jam which really blew my mind-and this was in the 90s even. Other than that, I've known a few people here and there that are just indifferent to music, and I really have a hard time relating to these people. Or more commonly, I know certain people who, for some reason or another, stopped listening to music in the 80s or 90s. I guess they're passionate about music from that decade, but they have no desire to seek out new music. It's really too bad, too, since I consider 2006-2008 to be probably the best era for music compared with any other time in the history of music.

As for the Star Wars thing, I saw a couple of the movies when I was about 7 but I vaguely remember them, and I haven't seen any of the prequels.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    HushBull wrote:
    That just stuns me...That's like never having heard of the Bible.

No, it really isn't. I'm 17 and have only being listening to music seriously for about 3, 4 years. Pink Floyd doesn't appeal to me (yet?) and I've never heard the song. I've heard OF it, just not heard it.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    muppet wrote:
    No, it really isn't. I'm 17 and have only being listening to music seriously for about 3, 4 years. Pink Floyd doesn't appeal to me (yet?) and I've never heard the song. I've heard OF it, just not heard it.

That must be remedied: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY

Enjoy. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11