Chris Cornell on Jay Leno tonight

2»

Comments

• enharmonic wrote:
    Billie Jean spent 15 weeks at #1. Bad song? Maybe, but a song that stayed at the top of the charts for nearly 4 months.

You're not seriously using the Billboard charts to justify the quality of a song are you? :eek:
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    enharmonic wrote:
    YES! Finally another appreciator of Chris Cornell, the guitarist.

The man has wicked rhythm chops. I don't know if he still feels the same way, but he used to be pretty down on his own playing. I personally think he's an excellent guitarist.
    Agree with you there....love the "throw that man a guitar"!

Maybe he's the type who needs to have his hands busy or the type that needs that buffer between himself and the audience but that guitar is his friend!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • you can tell he is really concentating on hitting the notes and it definatley worked, he has really got fantastic control over his voice, especially in the last year or so...and that song is really good, fantastic bond theme!

he really does need a guitar when he is on stage tho, he doesn't look right without it....

oh and his version of billie jean is spine tingling, the concept of singing the song like that was pure genius!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    "throw that man a guitar"

haha. I love it. :D It's true though. Always the case for guitar players.
    *Stone Gossard singing comes to mind* hahah. :p They just don't know what to do with their hands. It's funny.

Just wanna add that the Leno performance left me feeling very proud of the mighty CC. :) More often than not cameras always seem to catch Chris on a not so great day and it's really annoying because this man still has it AND THEN SOME. To never see any recent footage do that justice hurts!
    The man was represented propa on Leno! THANK THE LORD! I thought he sounded absolutely amazing! I completely agree with you jeff's_the_man, he truly has such fantastic control over those golden pipes. He really went for it all. Granted, the ending was a little painfull but I can overlook that.

Overall I thought it was a really great performance. Not only is the man looking sooooooooo insanely HOT ON FIRE...but finally the camera did him justice in more ways than one. :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    You're not seriously using the Billboard charts to justify the quality of a song are you? :eek:

For mass market appeal? Yes.

There's good music, and then there's music that makes a lot of money...which is good.
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    "throw that man a guitar"

haha. I love it. :D It's true though. Always the case for guitar players.
    *Stone Gossard singing comes to mind* hahah. :p They just don't know what to do with their hands. It's funny.

Just wanna add that the Leno performance left me feeling very proud of the mighty CC. :) More often than not cameras always seem to catch Chris on a not so great day and it's really annoying because this man still has it AND THEN SOME. To never see any recent footage do that justice hurts!
    The man was represented propa on Leno! THANK THE LORD! I thought he sounded absolutely amazing! I completely agree with you jeff's_the_man, he truly has such fantastic control over those golden pipes. He really went for it all. Granted, the ending was a little painfull but I can overlook that.

Overall I thought it was a really great performance. Not only is the man looking sooooooooo insanely HOT ON FIRE...but finally the camera did him justice in more ways than one. :)

The end sounded the same as the recorded version, no different really to the sound of the scream in Cochise. But I agree, he really has gained a lot of control over his voice recently, probably since he quit smoking.

As for him looking awkward, I'd say he looked more intense and focussed than anything. If you see him live with Audioslave he's far more animated and has no problem holding an audience in the palm of his hand.

If this performance is a true representation of where his voice is at, I can't wait for the solo shows.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Alright I can definitely agree with that facepollution. He definitely was more intense and focussed than anything. Those intense stares into the camera where straight up paralyzing! Wheeeeew. :o And yes, I have seen Audioslave a ton of times and agree that it is not a problem for him to own that stage. Still though....I can also see where others are coming from. I love it when that man has a guitar. :)

OH his solo album & shows?? :eek:
    Seriously...I haven't been this excited about something Cornell related in a long time. I mean I love me some Audioslave...but this is IT in my CC world. I can't wait! :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • enharmonic wrote:
    For mass market appeal? Yes.

There's good music, and then there's music that makes a lot of money...which is good.

I agree. I just don't happen to think Billie Jean is one of those songs and it was made worse by Cornell butchering an already subpar. But that's just my opinion. *shrugs*
  • Although his Audioslave stuff may not live up to our expectations of the "old Chris", they're still decent albums compared to a lot of newer stuff. I've seen them live and plan to again. Yes, Chris has lost a lot of his vocal power, but he's still the same guy he always was. He's cleaned himself up and his songs may not sound like they did in the old days, but then again he's not playing with the same band. I don't think Soundgarden could have ever lasted much longer than they did; they kind of burned themselves out. They were still making great music, but as a band, they were definitely burned out. For what it is now, Audioslave is a pretty good band, and a hell of a lot of fun live...but that's just my opinion.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Thanks for the link, I thought he sounded it great. But he definitely looks kind of awkward... hehe.