Best of soundgarden?

OnlyLoveOnlyLove Posts: 3
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I haven't heard any of soundgardens music and was wondering what some of their better songs are, not necessarily the hits but in general the best songs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    OnlyLove wrote:
    I haven't heard any of soundgardens music and was wondering what some of their better songs are, not necessarily the hits but in general the best songs.
    A-Sides will give you a lot of their best songs (thats their best of album).
    Superunknown is an absolutely wonderful album, which is defintiely essential with a good portion of their best "non-hit" songs
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    if youre just looking for a handful try

mind riot
    kyle petty, son of richard
    head injury
    drawing flies
    burden in my hand
    the day i tried to live
    gun
    like suicide
    ugly truth
    jesus christ pose
  • OnlyLoveOnlyLove Posts: 3
    wow, thats exactly what i was looking for, I appreciate the help. Keep em coming
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    beyond the wheel
    big dumb sex
    room a thousand years wide
    uncovered
    face pollution
    zero chance
    loud love
    mailman
    limo wreck
  • Superunknown
    Let Me Drown
    Searching with my Eyes Closed
    No Attention
    An Unkind
    Hands All Over
    TIGHTER AND TIGHTER
    Overfloater
    Dusty
    4th Of July
    SLAVES & BULLDOZERS
  • I've always thought that "Rusty Cage" and "Outshined" were great songs. Good to play really loud.

I agree with an earlier post, pick up "A-Sides." You can probably get it cheap and if you like it, move on to "Badmotorfinger" and the other studio albums
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693
    Flower, Beyond the Wheel, Circle of Power, Smokestack Lightning, Incessant Mace, Ugly Truth, Gun, Power Trip, I Awake, No Wrong No Right, Big Dumb Sex, Rusty Cage, Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, Room A Thousand Years Wide, Mind Riot, Holy Water, New Damage, Fell on Black Days, Mailman, Black Hole Sun, Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils, 4th of July, Like Suicide, Zero Chance, Blow Up the Outside World, Tighter and Tighter, Switch Opens, Overfloater, Boot Camp...

I think that would be a good mix from each album. what a great band..enjoy.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I agree with an earlier post, pick up "A-Sides." You can probably get it cheap and if you like it, move on to "Badmotorfinger" and the other studio albums

Yeah, A-Sides is actually a very good compilation for the beginner. I still pop it in once in a while if I just want some variety. Anyway, as for the list (excluding tracks on A-Sides):

Slaves and Bulldozers
    Room a Thousand Years Wide
    Mailman
    Superunknown
    4th of July
    Zero Chance
    Dusty
    Never the Machine Forever
    No Attention
    Boot Camp
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Limo Wreck, Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, and Burden in My Hand will really grab you by the balls.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Flower, Beyond the Wheel, Circle of Power, Smokestack Lightning, Incessant Mace, Ugly Truth, Gun, Power Trip, I Awake, No Wrong No Right, Big Dumb Sex, Rusty Cage, Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, Room A Thousand Years Wide, Mind Riot, Holy Water, New Damage, Fell on Black Days, Mailman, Black Hole Sun, Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils, 4th of July, Like Suicide, Zero Chance, Blow Up the Outside World, Tighter and Tighter, Switch Opens, Overfloater, Boot Camp...

I think that would be a good mix from each album. what a great band..enjoy.
    I concur. Incidentally was room a thousand years wide written by Kim? I fucking love that song and I'd be mighty impressed since Chris was the main songwriter.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    Room a Thousand Years Wide music was written by Matt. Lyrics by Kim...

everyone above has given you a fantastic list........in other words, buy ALL their albums....

:)
  • pj 79pj 79 Posts: 150
    My wave
    Bleed together
    The day I tried to live
    Like suicide
    Head down
    Ty Cobb
    Rusty cage
    Birth ritual
    Pretty noose
    Black hole sun
    25/11/05
    26/11/05
    13/11/11
    03/04/13
    07/11/15

TOUCH ME, I'M DICK
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    DEFINATELY LIKE SUICIDE!! That's my all time fav. Soundgarden song!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    The day I tried to Live.

this is without a doubt the greatest song by Soundgarden. I love Soundgarden. You can buy anything by them and it will be good.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • KryptosKryptos Posts: 34
    Just get the Superunknown album and you'll be hooked for life.
  • Spoonman!!
    im awesome
  • OnlyLoveOnlyLove Posts: 3
    First off I want to say that I appreciate all the song listings, I have been a PJ fan for about a year and they have now become my absolutely favorite band of all time. I have recently listened to a couple of temple of the dog songs, and figured I would go out and listen to some soundgarden. Anyways the best soundgarden song I have heard so far, to me, is Burden In My Hand. Soundgarden is a much darker band than PJ, and Burden In My Hand is a much more upbeat song. I believe the intensity and emotion in a song should come from the singer, not music. I feel like a lot of Soundgardens music sets a dark tone. I definately like the band, i just wanted to point out why I still feel PJ is a better band.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    when I think of the best..I think of "Limo Wreck"
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • i think there was a good song, underated alot, called Black Hole Sun.
  • rock_goddessrock_goddess Posts: 970
    i think there was a good song, underated alot, called Black Hole Sun.

I luv that song!
    *Fellow astorian*

20/4/06 Astoria
    23/8/06 Dublin

http://www.myspace.com/rockgoddess1318
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    OnlyLove wrote:
    First off I want to say that I appreciate all the song listings, I have been a PJ fan for about a year and they have now become my absolutely favorite band of all time. I have recently listened to a couple of temple of the dog songs, and figured I would go out and listen to some soundgarden. Anyways the best soundgarden song I have heard so far, to me, is Burden In My Hand. Soundgarden is a much darker band than PJ, and Burden In My Hand is a much more upbeat song. I believe the intensity and emotion in a song should come from the singer, not music. I feel like a lot of Soundgardens music sets a dark tone. I definately like the band, i just wanted to point out why I still feel PJ is a better band.

Yeah, but if you don't really like a general dark feel to your music, then Soundgarden probably isn't for you. At least Superunknown and Down on the Upside aren't for you... everything before that is more heavy-metal and much less depressing. Badmotorfinger is a good one if you like the more metal sound to it (released around the same time as Ten, I think). But if you don't like the darker sound, then you should probably look elsewhere (but stay the hell away from Alice in Chains). Nirvana or maybe the Screaming Trees, perhaps?

And oh yeah, Burden in My Hand isn't really an upbeat song... listen to the lyrics, man... but good luck with your search.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Far Beyond the Wheel
    Birth Ritual
    Gun
    4th of July
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • didemdidem Posts: 50
    superunknown..... the whole CD
    no brain no pain....
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I only saw one other person mention Searching With My Good Eye Closed. That's always been one of my favorites. It's very psychedelic. Rusty Cage and Fell on Black Days would be close to the top of my list as well.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Personaly dont think there is such a thing as a bad song by Soundgarden.....thinking ....thinking ....nope:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    If you are looking for something more upbeat My Wave is a good song.

Myself I find it pretty hard to beat Bad Motor Finger or Superunkown
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    I've always thought that "Rusty Cage" and "Outshined" were great songs. Good to play really loud.
    Definately agree with this. It's like you read my mind...
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    SOUNDGARDEN?? :D SOUNDGARDEN? :D

*jumps up and down*

God I love this band SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOO fuckin much!

The list of favs or "bests" could easily go on forever. :p Here are a "few" I'm extra, extra obsessed with and highly recommend...

*Room A Thousand Years Wide
    *Rhinosaur
    *Tighter & Tighter
    *Hands All Over
    *Searching With My Good Eye Closed
    *Zero Chance
    *Fresh Trendrils
    *Birth Ritual
    *Burden In My Hand
    *Loud Love
    *Blow Up The Outside World
    *Slaves & Bulldozers
    *Jesus Christ Pose
    *Like Suicide
    *The Day I tried to Live
    *Bleed Together
    *Mailman
    *Overfloater
    *Let Me Drown
    *She Likes Surprises
    *4th Of July
    *Holy Water

*twitches*
    *forces self to stop*
    :p

haha.

I also agree that you should just get A-SIDES as a place to start...hell...you might as make it A-SIDES and the epitome of classic/bad ass beast that is~~> BADMOTORFINGER!!!!! :D \m/

Honestly though, whatever it is that you choose to do.....you really can't go wrong with this band. ;)

{{LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY,UNTOUCHABLE SG}}
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    I only saw one other person mention Searching With My Good Eye Closed. That's always been one of my favorites. It's very psychedelic. Rusty Cage and Fell on Black Days would be close to the top of my list as well.

that was me, i love the shows from 96, Spoonman into Searching with my Eyes Closed, awesome.
    TO THE SKY AND DOWN!!!!!!
  • pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    Great lists by everyone, can't go wrong with any of 'em... My personal fave is definitely Like Suicide, followed closely by (in no particular order) Limo Wreck, Room A Thousand Years Wide, Mind Riot, Hands All Over, Loud Love, Jesus Christ Pose (still got a JCP sticker on my work lunch box I've had since about '94 or '95), Holy Water, Fresh Tendrils, 4th of July, Blow Up The Outside World, The Day I Tried To Live, and too goddamn many more to fuckin list at this hour.. And good call on Behind The Wheel that someone mentioned a few posts back.. Hadn't heard that one in awhile, so I jammed it a few minutes ago from my iTunes list.. Definitely some good stuff.. About the only song I can't listen to anymore is fucking Black Hole Sun, only because it's been played about a billion times since March '94, and I'm just fucking sick of it, period..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge