Options

Velvet Revolver or STP

DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I like the Velvet Revolver album a lot, but I was a huge STP fan. I thought Weilands melodies went perfectly with that band. I think Slash is a fucking brilliant guitarist, and also think his guitar went perfectly with Axl Rose's voice. I guess when bands die out, instead of going away, they will just follow the Audioslave/Velvet Revolver ways and form a supergroup.
Should just be happy with it I guess.............................
I'll keep taking punches
Untill their will grows tired
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    imfaithfulimfaithful Posts: 106
    i really was not a fan of velvet revolver..... it didnt seem to mesh well for me... i love slash, but it seemed that he was doin guitar solo's for the sake of doing them.... just my opinion.... so i'd have to say STP
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

www.myspace.com/lovethejam
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i've got both.......works for me
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    both bands are great, and weiland is one of the singer/perfomrers going today
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    both bands are great, and weiland is one of the singer/perfomrers going today

weiland is shit really..
    look at his lyrics
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Velvet Revolver stuff becomes the same when listen thru the album. STP seemed to explore more.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Love both of them.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Weiland is shit you get real, Velvet Revolver i seen twice and both times amazing so much energy, contraband is a classic
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    velvet revolver dont even touch STP, as for gunsnroses.....dýou think axl´s worried? if he has heard their debut then certainly not cos his new gnr songs (madagascar, chinese democracy) eclipse anything from their debut
  • Options
    ToeJamToeJam Posts: 35
    It's too early to tell, but I do like both.
    We all walk the long road
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    Stp.......
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    love both, well see what VR does in future years
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I"m a huge GNR fan and was looking forward to Velvet Revolver but I was greatly dissapointed after listening to Contraband. STP blows away VR, I just think Contraband is a really weak album, VR were good live but thats because they played GNR and STP tunes.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    As much as I love VR, gotta go with STP!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    STP by a longshot.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I love both bands. STP is probably like my 4th favourite all time band. But Contraband is just unreal. I think its better then any STP albums.
  • Options
    I love both bands. STP is probably like my 4th favourite all time band. But Contraband is just unreal. I think its better then any STP albums.

Whoa!!! GUNS N ROSES IS MY FAV. BAND, and i LOVE SLASH and DUFF (i only "like" Matt)....

but shit, that album is horrible. 2 good songs: loving the alien, slither.

I HATE SCOTT WEILAND (he's alright in STP, tho)...he can't write a good lyric if his life depended on it.

"It's a big machine, it's a big machine" HAHA that is aweful!

Can't wait for Chinese Dem. tho...seeing them live in May
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    STP all the way, such a better fit stylistically. VR is straight up rock and nothing else at all, they're good at what they do but it seems contrived and boring. STP was a rockin band that had this awesome experimental tinge, they were probably the most "nineties" band ever. Weiland was perfect for that style and he seemed like he really meant it, now he's trying to be the typical rock n' roll badass frontman type. Put it this way, is anyone actually wondering what the next Velvet Revolver record will sound like?
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    but shit, that album is horrible. 2 good songs: loving the alien, slither.

I HATE SCOTT WEILAND (he's alright in STP, tho)...he can't write a good lyric if his life depended on it.
    I thought the Loving The Alien lyrics were great. A love song to herione, A love he'll miss forever.

"And never means maybe
    Sometimes is all the time
    Maybe

And I'm moving on"
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    surferdude wrote:

"And never means maybe
    Sometimes is all the time
    Maybe

And I'm moving on"

thats hardly 'great' though is it?

one song to describe weiland's awful lyrical skills..
    plush. a solid melody..but omg lyrics!
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    this is a nobrainer...shouldnt even be a question...

STP
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    STP...no question... The DeLeo brothers are as underrated as it gets..
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I love Contraband. I think it rocks. Cool melodies. The song structures are original and have cool changes in them from the verse to pre-chorus, etc. Great harmonies, guitars and I like the lyrics.

"Keep me runnin' like a deer in the headlights
    All for nothing I thought
    Just the ransom I had bought
    About the day I tried to tame her
    Never tried to blame her
    Just a game that I had bought"
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    RockerRocker Posts: 22
    Easy........STP
    American eyes, American eyes....
    View the world from American eyes
    Bury the past, rob us blind
    And leave nothin behind

Just stare
    Relive the nightmare
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I can't really compare the 2. STP had 5 albums to grow and we haven't even heard VR's second record yet.

Anybody know what the DeLeo's are up to these days? I'd check it out in a heartbeat, those guys were great.

Last topic of my post (I swear) Weiland's lyrics. Yes, they aren't always the most interesting poetic lyrics you've ever heard but lyrics aren't always everything to me. I usually pay more attention to the emotion behind the lyrics and Weiland puts himself out there, heart and soul, every time. His solo record "12 bar blues" is also very enjoyable and unique.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    STP........ gotta be so far, give VR a couple more albums and you can compare...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    MCG wrote:
    Anybody know what the DeLeo's are up to these days? I'd check it out in a heartbeat, those guys were great.

They have formed a band with Richard Patrick from Filter. The band is called Army of Anyone, debut album coming out late summer. Website: http://www.armyofanyone.com
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    stpmattb wrote:
    They have formed a band with Richard Patrick from Filter. The band is called Army of Anyone, debut album coming out late summer. Website: http://www.armyofanyone.com

Much appreciated. Have they done anything that pre-dates this?
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    STP & GNR...Huge fan. VR is ok i guess. I like seeing their faces but if I had to choose.. STP, GNR.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Velvet Revolver is Wal-Mart rock. I love Weiland and STP, and I even like GNR & Slash, but I think Velvet Revolver lacks any vision or creativity, they just plod along. It's music for the masses.