Ixnay on the Hombre

2»

Comments

• danny72688 wrote:
    Nice! If it's the album art on the jacket I'm jealous. That cover kicks all kinds of ass!

Yup the album art is on the back, with a skull motif from the art work on the front left chest.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Well, go listen to Emo then. Don't piss all over this parade b/c you don't like the band.

Offspring after Ixnay is no better than the Emo that is out today, lame corporate radio friendly garbage.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    smash and americana will always be good albums to me
  • Offspring after Ixnay is no better than the Emo that is out today, lame corporate radio friendly garbage.

Americana was the turning point, great album, but the crossover mainstream radio hits from that album kind of sent them in the wrong direction, Pretty Fly and Get A Job were the only bad songs on there.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Yup the album art is on the back, with a skull motif from the art work on the front left chest.
    That sounds cool as shit! Makes me want to hunt down a t-shirt from that era.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    I think they'd be fun to see live though, even if they didn't play old stuff.

I saw them 2 years ago on Warped, and they played almost exclusively old stuff. No 'Pretty Fly For A White Guy' or 'Why Don't You Get A Job'. But I think they were pandering to the generally elitist crowd.

Anyway, I thought Smash and Ixnay were both excellent albums, and I liked a few songs on Splinter and Conspiracy, but for the most part they have fallen out of favor with me. Americana had a lot to do with that transition.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I love all of Offspring's earlier albums up to Ixnay on the Hombre. They were the first rock band I ever got in to, and Smash was the first album I ever bought with my pocket money, so they have a lot of nostalgia for me. On the other hand they have a lot of bad memories too. I got a little depressed and suicidal when I was 12/13 and listened to Amazed a HELL of a lot (like 6 or 7 times a day sometimes), so I prefer not to listen to that track anymore.

Pity about Americana onwards, but the earlier stuff is still very listenable. I'm quite surprised how little it's aged. The only song I regularly listen to on Ixnay... is Change The World, a lot of it is a little too ska for my taste. But I like how it's totally different from the rest of their catalogue, nice little departure from the norm.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • RockKing wrote:
    I saw them 2 years ago on Warped, and they played almost exclusively old stuff. No 'Pretty Fly For A White Guy' or 'Why Don't You Get A Job'. But I think they were pandering to the generally elitist crowd.

Anyway, I thought Smash and Ixnay were both excellent albums, and I liked a few songs on Splinter and Conspiracy, but for the most part they have fallen out of favor with me. Americana had a lot to do with that transition.
    I'll definitely have to check them out next time they come around then!! I agree they have been making under par albums after Ixnay (Conspiracy of One had some awesome tracks though, more than half the album).
  • fowls wrote:
    I love all of Offspring's earlier albums up to Ixnay on the Hombre. They were the first rock band I ever got in to, and Smash was the first album I ever bought with my pocket money, so they have a lot of nostalgia for me. On the other hand they have a lot of bad memories too. I got a little depressed and suicidal when I was 12/13 and listened to Amazed a HELL of a lot (like 6 or 7 times a day sometimes), so I prefer not to listen to that track anymore.

Pity about Americana onwards, but the earlier stuff is still very listenable. I'm quite surprised how little it's aged. The only song I regularly listen to on Ixnay... is Change The World, a lot of it is a little too ska for my taste. But I like how it's totally different from the rest of their catalogue, nice little departure from the norm.
    That's one of the best parts about Ixnay. Songs like Gone Away and Amazed in the mix with songs like Don't Pick It Up and Me & My Old Lady. It's an emotional ride to say the least!

Change the World is an awesome track, and I love the bit at the end: "You guys should try heavy metal....kiss my ass!" :)
    Special Delivery, Living in Chaos and Come Out Swinging are the only recent songs I enjoy.

I stopped buying Offspring albums after Americana, but luckily that's when my brother started, so I've copied them onto my iPod. SPlinter is an awful awful record, tried to find one song I like but I just can't. I think I like Hit That, but about halfway through listening to it I always remember I don't!
    Paul
  • fowls wrote:
    Special Delivery, Living in Chaos and Come Out Swinging are the only recent songs I enjoy.

I stopped buying Offspring albums after Americana, but luckily that's when my brother started, so I've copied them onto my iPod. SPlinter is an awful awful record, tried to find one song I like but I just can't. I think I like Hit That, but about halfway through listening to it I always remember I don't!

Hahahahaha........that's funny, because I actually know EXACTLY what you mean. Hit That was supposed to be a good song.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • fowls wrote:
    Vultures (must, must, must relisten to that one), Denial, Revisited, and A Million Miles Away are also really good. Original Prankster is a fun one, but really poppy. I like The Kids Aren't Alright, Staring at the Sun and Americana (song) and the radio songs are listenable.
    fowls wrote:
    Yeah I can't get into Splinter. Hit That is fun but I feel lame listening to it.
    hmmm Listening to Co1 now, it's not as bad as I remember. Sure, it isn't original, but it's a solid pop rock album.
    Paul
  • fowls wrote:
    hmmm Listening to Co1 now, it's not as bad as I remember. Sure, it isn't original, but it's a solid pop rock album.
    It was a step up from Americana, but then they stepped back down twice with Splinter ;)

Yours doesn't happen to have Huck It does it? Mine doesn't have that song.
    Yeah I have Huck It
    Paul
  • fowls wrote:
    Yeah I have Huck It
    Any chance I can "borrow" an mp3 of it? :)
    Sure, give me some time though need to run a virus check, seemed to have picked up a pesky msn virus :mad:
    Paul