Ixnay on the Hombre

prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Any Offspring fans here? I just dusted off this old gem after at least five years of not listening to anything on it (except maybe Gone Away on the radio) and what fun it was! I'm listening to it a second time. It's right up there with Smash in my book, and I almost want to say it's a better record, but that's because Smash is so played out I'm positive. Anyway....awesome record!!

PS: Intermission has to be one of the greatest joke songs ever. Right up there with Wild Honey Pie and Iron Gland :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    danny72688 wrote:
    Any Offspring fans here? I just dusted off this old gem after at least five years of not listening to anything on it (except maybe Gone Away on the radio) and what fun it was! I'm listening to it a second time. It's right up there with Smash in my book, and I almost want to say it's a better record, but that's because Smash is so played out I'm positive. Anyway....awesome record!!

PS: Intermission has to be one of the greatest joke songs ever. Right up there with Wild Honey Pie and Iron Gland :D

I love this record too. I dug it out of my closet when I got an iPod recently and put it on there. I forgot how good it was!!

Too bad Offspring have gone downhill sense then, although Americana was alright.

I've never seen them live though.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    I love this record too. I dug it out of my closet when I got an iPod recently and put it on there. I forgot how good it was!!

Too bad Offspring have gone downhill sense then, although Americana was alright.

I've never seen them live though.
    Yes I forgot all the great tracks on here like I Choose, Me & My Old Lady and Change the World. It was definitely a trip back in time! Good, good stuff!

I agree that they have gone downhill, Americana was pretty good I think (could've been much better and I can't get over Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da--I mean Why Don't You Get a Job?). Conspiracy of One I really liked. I tried to like Splinter but never really got into it. I think they'd be fun to see live though, even if they didn't play old stuff.
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I still love Offspring, got all their albums. Never did see them live, would love to though.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • chris05 wrote:
    I still love Offspring, got all their albums. Never did see them live, would love to though.
    I have most of their albums. They're one of those bands that doesn't take themselves too seriously and just have a good time. It really shows on the studio releases and that alone would be enough for me to see them live regardless of setlists.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Funny this thread came up, as I recently put this on the fanchPod. Very good album, not great, but has great songs.

The main riff to "Gone Away" (best song on the album) sounds like Kiss' "2000 Man."
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Used to love them but it was after this album that they became total shit. To be honest, with the exception of a couple songs, I dont care for them much at all anymore. Cant stand the singers voice anymore and they have been a complete fucking embarassment since the album, they pretty much turned from a punk band to a band that actually wants to be The Barenaked Ladies.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Used to love them but it was after this album that they became total shit. To be honest, with the exception of a couple songs, I dont care for them much at all anymore. Cant stand the singers voice anymore and they have been a complete fucking embarassment since the album, they pretty much turned from a punk band to a band that actually wants to be The Barenaked Ladies.

OT: I just got done listening to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Funny this thread came up, as I recently put this on the fanchPod. Very good album, not great, but has great songs.

The main riff to "Gone Away" (best song on the album) sounds like Kiss' "2000 Man."
    Gone Away is such a good song. I remember it was one of those songs that just held my attention long after it ended after first listen. Had to listen to it again and again. I'll have to give 2000 Man a listen sometime.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    OT: I just got done listening to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

Amazing album, I should give that a listen soon as well, havent listened to any of their music really lately. Great album to listen to before bed.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Used to love them but it was after this album that they became total shit. To be honest, with the exception of a couple songs, I dont care for them much at all anymore. Cant stand the singers voice anymore and they have been a complete fucking embarassment since the album, they pretty much turned from a punk band to a band that actually wants to be The Barenaked Ladies.
    He definitely has one of those "acquired taste" voices. But that, in addition to their tone brings me back. I'm questioning why they fell out of regular rotation now. They no doubt stand out from other bands.

Their new stuff has been significantly weaker than their early work (except Conspiracy of One which was great!). I hope their new album is rockin'!
    danny72688 wrote:
    Gone Away is such a good song. I remember it was one of those songs that just held my attention long after it ended after first listen. Had to listen to it again and again. I'll have to give 2000 Man a listen sometime.

Great lyric writing as well. It's a hard-rocking song, but the lyrics "If I could trade, I would" is heavier than any riff on that album.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Great lyric writing as well. It's a hard-rocking song, but the lyrics "If I could trade, I would" is heavier than any riff on that album.
    Yes the lyrics are quite good. Very easy to relate to and feel for Dexter. I've always personally loved the lyric: "I reach to the sky, and call out your name". Really great choice of words in this song.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Me and My Old Lady cracks me up every time I hear it.

Lot of love for The Meaning of Life, All I Want and Mota!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    Me and My Old Lady cracks me up every time I hear it.

Lot of love for The Meaning of Life, All I Want and Mota!
    Oh yeah! :D Good choices! Gotta spin this disc again!

Disclaimer ;) LMAO I love it!
  • i'd rather have diarrhea than hearing the offspring. that big loud mouth horrible sounding singer kills my ears.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    Well, go listen to Emo then. Don't piss all over this parade b/c you don't like the band.
  • i'd rather have diarrhea than hearing the offspring. that big loud mouth horrible sounding singer kills my ears.
    His vocals are way better than any band I hear on the radio these days. But that's all subjective. Enjoy your diarrhea because I'm blasting this disc still.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Well, go listen to Emo then. Don't piss all over this parade b/c you don't like the band.
    nah i'm rockin physical graffiti right now..sorry not pissing just putting my opinion of the wanker out there...carry on with the parade *marching band regroups*
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    nah i'm rockin physical graffiti right now..sorry not pissing just putting my opinion of the wanker out there...carry on with the parade *marching band regroups*

Quote some Snoop Dogg and we're even
  • nah i'm rockin physical graffiti right now..sorry not pissing just putting my opinion of the wanker out there...carry on with the parade *marching band regroups*
    It must be so Cool to Hate :cool:

(you won't get that probably ;))
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Quote some Snoop Dogg and we're even
    offspring jus caint put shizzle in my dizzle dogg no offenses jus my preffrinsses
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    Dayum! I wanna smack sum bytchez around afta dem dope phat azz beatz!!!!!
  • danny72688 wrote:
    It must be so Cool to Hate :cool:

(you won't get that probably ;))
    you're right i don't get it...but don't hate me cause i don't like offspring. i'm happy you do. not everybody likes nickleback but some people do. it's a big wide world full of all sorts of music and everybody has an ear for their particular sound...so rock out on the offspring bro ...PEACE
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • you're right i don't get it...but don't hate me cause i don't like offspring. i'm happy you do. not everybody likes nickleback but some people do. it's a big wide world full of all sorts of music and everybody has an ear for their particular sound...so rock out on the offspring bro ...PEACE
    That's the name of a song on the album (Cool to Hate), it was a lame joke :)
    No hate here, different strokes for different folks!
  • I used to be quite into them, I still like the odd song now and again and somewhere in a dark corner of my wardrobe is a Ixney on the Hombre zip through hoodie.:o:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    this seems like a nice space to post. wazzup?
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • My first year in college, I went to a school that was 3 hours away from my home town. Every time I went home it seems like this was the disc I kept on (it was right after it came out). Every time I hear this CD it brings me back to that time. For me it's just a real time defining record.

I saw them live on the tour for Ixnay at the Sanger in New Orleans. I remember it being a fun show, and having a good time, but that was during my "roll-your-own-smokes" years, and the details of the show are really foggy ;) .
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • haven't listened to ixnay for a long time, maybe i should do it again...sometimes i still listen to smash and the debut...

i remember that i had a gone away obsession ;)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • I used to be quite into them, I still like the odd song now and again and somewhere in a dark corner of my wardrobe is a Ixney on the Hombre zip through hoodie.:o:)
    Nice! If it's the album art on the jacket I'm jealous. That cover kicks all kinds of ass!
  • glasshouse wrote:
    this seems like a nice space to post. wazzup?
    Not a damn thing, just spinning this forgotten treasure.....again :D
    evenflow wrote:
    My first year in college, I went to a school that was 3 hours away from my home town. Every time I went home it seems like this was the disc I kept on (it was right after it came out). Every time I hear this CD it brings me back to that time. For me it's just a real time defining record.

I saw them live on the tour for Ixnay at the Sanger in New Orleans. I remember it being a fun show, and having a good time, but that was during my "roll-your-own-smokes" years, and the details of the show are really foggy ;) .
    That album for me happens to be Yield! And I must go see them because I'm in that "roll-out-your-smokes" phase as I type! They must've played an awesome show during that tour! Lucky!
    haven't listened to ixnay for a long time, maybe i should do it again...sometimes i still listen to smash and the debut...

i remember that i had a gone away obsession ;)
    I recommend it! Smash is great too, but I'm REALLY digging Ixnay right now. Gone Away is a classic!