Pinkerton

2»

Comments

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Pinkerton is easily my favorite Weezer album.

Cool thing that some people might not know is that the name Pinkerton comes from a character in the play Madam Butterfly... which the album is loosely based around, kind of a concept album, but not really. Also, it's important to note that the track sequence on Pinkerton appears in the order Rivers wrote the songs, which I believe unifies all the songs as being spoken from 1 characters point of view... I used to know a lot more about Pinkerton but i've forgotten a lot over the years as my Weezer fandom has died down a lot.

Oh yeah and Pinkerton has some sweet b-sides...

Check out You Gave Your Love to Me Softly which appeared on the Angus soundtrack.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

Cool thing that some people might not know is that the name Pinkerton comes from a character in the play Madam Butterfly... which the album is loosely based around, kind of a concept album, but not really. Also, it's important to note that the track sequence on Pinkerton appears in the order Rivers wrote the songs, which I believe unifies all the songs as being spoken from 1 characters point of view... I used to know a lot more about Pinkerton but i've forgotten a lot over the years as my Weezer fandom has died down a lot.

Check out You Gave Your Love to Me Softly which appeared on the Angus soundtrack.

Just watched Angus the other day and it made me want that song.........great movie and soundtrack as well, cant believe they never released it on DVD, the guy that plays Angus is from my town actually.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Just watched Angus the other day and it made me want that song.........great movie and soundtrack as well, cant believe they never released it on DVD, the guy that plays Angus is from my town actually.

Haha awesome! I still have my VHS copy laying around someplace, man I really liked that movie when it came out.
  • Pinkerton is easily my favorite Weezer album.

very cool. thanks for the info. i have always liked the cover art as well...forgot to mention that before... :)
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355

This is interesting.....though I still wonder about Songs from the Black Hole and how it transformed. I wanna hear that one, it's like the holy grail or something.

And I like the Green Day tune from Angus too :)
  • I've got to bump this. Today I was driving home listening to it and it was like Rivers wrote this album for me. Everything about it I am just realizing I've gone through, and it's like a cycle.

From being sick of pointless sex, to meeting someone cool, only to find out they're not into you but staying because I think there's no one else out there, to questioning why I should try anymore, to experiencing longing for someone too far away, to wanting to get back on track, to the all too frequent drunken ramblings and sexual frustration, to finally meeting someone new only to find out that you were just supposed to be friends, to finally meeting the best person ever who shared your feelings, and then fucking it all up.

This album describes my state on so many levels and it's always on repeat it seems. Great fucking album, but I wish it would end!

=w=
  • i love pinkerton. i think it might be my favorite weezer album.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    rivers has a compilation of home recordings & bits n bobs coming out soon....
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • chris05 wrote:
    my favorite weezer album.

I second that.
  • Such a great album.
  • Best song for me is Tired of Sex. I still like the Blue album more but that is no knock on Pinkerton. I "got" Pinkerton the 3rd time I listened to it.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    That album is good..and I didn't need to be stoned to figure it out either:D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    anyone know of a site for some good Weezer bootlegs. Never did get to see them live, but I have been watching some of these live clips on youtube, and they sound great live.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    danny72688 wrote:
    So I just heard this album in it's entirety for the first time today. I'd heard El Scorcho before and that one's good.

Anyway, this has got to be the biggest, "what the fuck........????" album I've ever heard. Seriously. I don't know what to think about it. I'm gonna go smoke some weed and listen again and see if I "get it".

the only weezer album really worth owning.