Kings Of Leon..

DEEPDEEP Posts: 274
edited August 2007 in Other Music
There is no other band that has hit me like Kings, besides Pearl Jam of course. What are some other bands that have hit you like that? Ones that you liked from the first listen.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    do you mean just newer bands like since pearl jam or ever?

My Morning Jacket was a slam dunk for me
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    DEEP wrote:
    There is no other band that has hit me like Kings, besides Pearl Jam of course. What are some other bands that have hit you like that? Ones that you liked from the first listen.

KOL and Arcade Fire for me... i like other bands, but i love these guys... awesomeness encapsulated
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I heard KOL back in 2005 with The Bucket and hated that song. I saw them at Lollapalooza and now I love them. I just got the Live in Soho from Itunes yesterday, it's kick ass.
  • My Morning Jacket - i heard Gideon and i was sold.
    I didn't particularly like KOL when i first heard them about 6 months ago. Gave the new album a spin and loved it! Great band.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I heard KOL back in 2005 with The Bucket and hated that song. I saw them at Lollapalooza and now I love them. I just got the Live in Soho from Itunes yesterday, it's kick ass.

Yeah man, I picked that up on itunes last night, great stuff!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hmm i have their first two albums and did not like them. i saw them live and was not impressed by the songs too. Mostly the lyrics and singers voice don't do much for me.

Eveyrone seems to rave about the new one.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i was so-so about them until I saw their Lolla set. I thought they were fantastic. Great energy, great musicianship, rockin' time!

It seems to me like the singer tries too hard on the album...hard to explain, it's just that he seems to really dramatize his vocal styles. Live, it's more tamed down and natural sounding...not annoying like on the records:)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    By the end of the year *knock on wood* I will have seen KOL 5 times this year alone.

My Morning Jacket
    Interpol
    Nikka Costa (she be fierce!)
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    DEEP wrote:
    Im there with you mate! Kings are my second favourite band...and I just found out theyre playing at a festival in my town next year...yeah!! :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • I had never heard KoL before Nijmegen, and as soon as they took the stage I was sold!
    Incredible!
    I got home and got every album and have had them on repeat for almost 2 months now!

I was sold on Muse when I first heard Absolution. I had never heard anything by them before but that album knocked me off of my feet.
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    i was so-so about them until I saw their Lolla set. I thought they were fantastic. Great energy, great musicianship, rockin' time!

It seems to me like the singer tries too hard on the album...hard to explain, it's just that he seems to really dramatize his vocal styles. Live, it's more tamed down and natural sounding...not annoying like on the records:)

I know what your saying and agree with you. I like their live stuff better becuase his voice is too country/twangy/black crows on the albums. Don't get me wrong, I still like the albums, but I just like the live stuff better for that reason.
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    KOL did hit me right away, but they've grown on me even more, and I love the new album. MMJ was a bit slow - when I saw them open for PJ, I thought they sounded ok, but then when I checked out the albums, they really hit me pretty hard.

The one that hit me out of nowhere recently is Muse. I had no idea they were that good. I didn't "discover" them until a couple of months ago, and loved them at Lolla.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Local H, Nine Black Alps, DBT, Nirvana, Rival Schools, King Prawn, ATD-I, Placebo etc etc.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    without going through my entire music appreciation history i'm just gonna say the drones
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • from Itunes turned me on to the Fratellis. Costello music is a really great record.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Looking forward to seeing them in San Fransicko on 9-4-07.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Sawyer wrote:
    -The Hold Steady (i fucking love these guys)

first one i thought of. also:

mmj
    brand new
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    intodeep wrote:
    Hmm i have their first two albums and did not like them. i saw them live and was not impressed by the songs too. Mostly the lyrics and singers voice don't do much for me.

Eveyrone seems to rave about the new one.

I feel the same about their lyrics but I've only seen them once and it was at Lolla and they were cute (haha) but I wasn't into them. I'm not big on MMJ either but I liked their set at Lolla....maybe it was cause they were afer KOL???
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I dont understand the fascination with this band at all. Think the vocals are pretty awful and the songs just dont do it for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    going to see them at the fox in atlanta in october. can't wait!!!
    they blew me away when i first saw them at the tabernacle several months ago.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,259
    anybody planning on attending any of the KOL shows here in NY CITY in sept let me know looking for someone to go with pm me if interested ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • im going to see them in philly september 21. :) i can't wait.
  • Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    I have grown to love this band. I'm really looking forward to seeing them at Red Rocks September 14.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Interpol
    Jimmy Eat World
    Nirvana
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Strokes
    Green Day
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Been a fan since Aha Shake, saw them at 9:30 Club back in August of 2005 and have been hooked since. The new album is completely different from the earlier stuff, but every bit as good. If they were playing Friday/Saturday here in D.C., I'd be at both shows, but since both are school nights, I'll only be at the Sunday, 9/23 show.

For a summer/fall without a PJ show, I couldn't have asked for more then to see KOL, Muse, and QOTSA within a month and a half of each other.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • im going to see them in philly september 21. :) i can't wait.

you and me both brotha
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    anybody planning on attending any of the KOL shows here in NY CITY in sept let me know looking for someone to go with pm me if interested ......
    PM sent
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Boys and girls, I'm making the trip from the west to the east to see KOL in NYC on the 19th and Upper Darby, PA on the 21st. Send a note if you care to...maybe I'll see you there!

I do love the rocking of those boys in their skinny jeans!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    you and me both brotha
    we'll both be there...oh and she's a sista:)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • they are my 2nd fav band....they are great live....they played here twice this year....