REM vs U2

SoupySoupy Posts: 171
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Yeah everyone hates vs threads but badluck.

I give this it to REM.

I struggle with U2 albums, the Best of's are great but the albums are full of fillers IMO. REM have a few dud albums like that (Around the Sun, Up, Green, Recoming) too, but overall I prefer them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• REM gets my vote
    New Adventures being my fave album
  • REM easily, I can't stand U2
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    REM easily, I can't stand U2

AGREED.. R.E.M. far the superior band overall U2 are just the biggest band in the world.. Even if Around The Sun was a dud album. Can't wait to get m hands on their new hits package.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    U2 is one of my favorite bands, second only to Pearl Jam. I could never really get into REM so, obviously, Ill go with U2.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Not too fussed with rem but i prefer them to u2.

Make Bono History
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Tough call. I do love early U2, but I think REM just about takes the biscuit here.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I don't like U2 but I respect their musical career.

I like REM though, even though their albums are sort of hit and miss. That said, I highly recommend And I Feel Fine,a recent best of their indie period (IRS). Even though some great songs are missing, it's better than their previous best of (Eponymous) and it comes with a pretty cool second CD of rarities.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    U2
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    R.E.M.
    I really don't like very much U2. I don't know why but I can't...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Welcome back Bill Berry!
  • Zoso wrote:
    AGREED.. R.E.M. far the superior band overall U2 are just the biggest band in the world.. Even if Around The Sun was a dud album. Can't wait to get m hands on their new hits package.

STEP AWAY from the CD store, Tim!
    :D:D
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • U2.
  • R.E.M.
    I just find that U2 is pedestrian and I think Stipe is a better lyricist
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    the one with a bald member who doesn't wear hats.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • I think U2 are great. I am going to see them for the 3rd time when they come to Sydney, Australia. Rem i hate.
  • U2
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Soupy wrote:
    I struggle with U2 albums, the Best of's are great but the albums are full of fillers IMO. REM have a few dud albums like that (Around the Sun, Up, Green, Recoming) too, but overall I prefer them.

REM is by far the better band for my money......

I'm in shock that you could list GREEN as a dud album - its one of my favourites, You Are The Everything is easily one of my top 5 favourite songs by any band - and if "Recoming" is supposed to be Reckoning then that is another album that is definitely not a dud by any stretch!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Todd76 wrote:
    REM is by far the better band for my money......

I'm in shock that you could list GREEN as a dud album - its one of my favourites, You Are The Everything is easily one of my top 5 favourite songs by any band - and if "Recoming" is supposed to be Reckoning then that is another album that is definitely not a dud by any stretch!!!!!

I feel the same about Up. Fantastic album.

REM without a doubt. I can't stand U2.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Bono is way better than Stipe. Stipe sucks. Bono has stage presence, and is a excellent singer, musician and songwriter.
  • Is there a neither option?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Wow, tough one. Both started out well...peaked, then went totally shit.

The Joshua Tree and Automatic for the People are two of my all time favourite albums. I can't choose between them.

U2 may just take it (although I dislike almost everything they've done in the last 10-15 years). You can't deny the likes of Boy, War, The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum...Achtung Baby.

REM are cool though. To be honest I haven't heard much of their 80's stuff. I own Document and Murmur and they're good albums. Heard most of Life's Rich Pageant which is pretty good too.

I dunno, U2 probably.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Soupy wrote:

funny, i feel the same way only in reverse. the REM hits package is incredible, but listening to their albums (even a classic like out of time or monster) i find the majority of the songs pretty bland. U2 has had some moments where they faltered (october, rattle and hum, all that you cant leave behind), but on the whole their output has been far more consistent to me. i have sworn that i will NOT miss another U2 show.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    U2...........easily.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    comatose66 wrote:
    Bono is way better than Stipe. Stipe sucks. Bono has stage presence, and is a excellent singer, musician and songwriter.

I think bono is a prick and his songs are boring.

I can handle sunday bloody sunday, with or without you and streets have no name but the rest is poor.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    stu gee wrote:
    I think bono is a prick and his songs are boring.

I can handle sunday bloody sunday, with or without you and streets have no name but the rest is poor.

i'm with you.
    I can't understand why so many people like U2...
  • I like both bands but REM takes this easily for being far more influential, having better albums (murmur and automatic are huge, war is great but I don't think any other U2 album reaches that level) and REM has a ton of indiviually fantastic songs. Hell even when they don't make a great album, their albums can be very good fully realized works like UP
  • Twenty years ago I would have said REM. Now, though, it has to be U2, just for their sheer sweep and scope. Stipe has become a cartoon. REM from 83-88 was the best group out there. Going big label was a bad move for them, even if they did make millions. I just don't think REM matters anymore.
  • R.E.M. is my pick, but I hope their next record is better than Around the Sun, which was mediocre.

U2 is great as well.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • I was shopping in Tescos yesterday in Durham and there was a man walking around with a Sky Blue T on that looked like it had the MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY.COM logo on it but it actually read MAKEBONOHISTORY.NOW, so in honour of that T, I'm gonna say R.E.M.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    ...that looked like it had the MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY.COM logo on it but it actually read MAKEBONOHISTORY.NOW

LoL :D:D