Options

Anyone lese think Cornells wasted in Audioslave?

SoupySoupy Posts: 171
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I own both Audioslave's album and they are ok, but I can't help thinking they are so very average compared to the rest of Cornells work.

Audioslave have cancelled there european tour, so maybe they are on the verge of splitting, in a way I hope they do so Cornell can do something different.

Thoughts?

Edit : Can't believe I typo'ed in the thread topic..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I don't think they are splitting up, they're just finishing up their new album, i suspect the reason the tour was cancelled was because their promotional schedule has changed.

For the most part, I love Audioslave. This is not to say they don't still have work to do. Soundgarden didn't really hit their stride til Badmotorfinger, and I think it's gonna be the same situation with AS. Cornell really needs to work on the consistency of his live performances, giving up smoking should have helped a lot with this though.

I think the main difference with Cornell in AS compared to all the other music he has done, is that he's happy now, which means a lot of his lyrics don't have that darker edge to them. I hope he returns to the darker themes on the new album, I'd love to hear the lyrical depth of Superunknown again.
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    He is great anywhere he is, yes i agree Soundgarden is much better. But the first Audioslave cd is a classic.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    ...But the first Audioslave cd is a classic.

for me to poop on. :p

If not for SG and RATM, I wouldn't have the opportunity to get nauseated when I hear Audioslave. About their only decent song IMO is the Dandilion song. I've given them every opportunity...even spent my hard earned to see them in Philly. It's throwaway music. I'll be shocked if the third album is any different when it comes to being a strong musical statement.

In 20 years, they'll still be playing RATM and SG on the radio. I haven't heard anything off of Audioslave's first album on the radio in at least a year.

People say that Sg was a darker band because Chris was more depressed, but for me, Audioslave is the more depressing band. I never thought I'd live to see the day that Cornell turned into the very things he used to rail against in songs like Jesus Christ Pose. At least he's still alive and making music. As long as that's happening, I'll never count him out. However, Audioslave is a huge waste of his time, energy, and talent.
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    I don't care for Audioslave at all. It sounds painfully generic.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Things change and evolve.
    Soundgarden and Rage are no more, face it.

All the guys are happy in Audioslave, they wouldn't still be doing it and putting out their music if they didn't like it.

Obviously Audioslave is different compared to his other work, as there are different people contributing to the material now.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Yes he most definetly is.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    hmm the sound of the guitars and everything is quite ragey still. Would be cool to see them move away from that
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Not necessarily. I think Audioslave is basically what they are. Cornell's compositions with Rage guitars behind them. Not great, but pretty good rock, In my opinion
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Not at all, Cornell is doing wounderful work with the rage boys and the Manchester gig was the best i have ever been to. I just think cornell should get another solo album out it was a little difficult to get into euphoria morning but damn there are some killer tracks on there. Can't wait for Audioslave's new album/tour.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Rage was a good band, but not great. Tom Morello made some cool sounds with the axe, Zach had some creative, controversial lyrics, and they basically spawned the who rap rock thing(which isnt a good thing).
    They have some great great songs, dont get me wrong, but aside from the lyrics, Audioslave is every bit as interesting as Rage.

Soundgarden on the other hand is another story. Badmotorfinger, alone, is better than all of Audioslave's and Rage's best combined.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,116
    It would be hard to be a musician in a band like Soundgarden and follow up with anything. Cornell will always be judged by his work in SG, which shouldn't be the case. Audioslave is not one of my top favorites like SG, but I don't think they are horrible. I would have preferred more solo stuff from him, but if Audioslave is what he wants, then that's what he should stick with.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Here's the thing though, for me. I always judge a band / album by listening to their album a few months later and seeing if I'm more into it, just as into it or completely turned off by it.

Audioslave's first album I loved, and when I throw it on now, still feel pretty much the same way.

The second album, I thought was pretty good, but I recently put it on after I shelved it for a few months and I really disliked it. A few songs were ok, but most of it I found boring. I just don't think this is a group that is going to get any better.

Whereas I also threw Superunkown on recently and it completely fucking rocked..................
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    Anyone else think the guitar solo in Out of Exile just plain SUCKS?! It doesn't fit in the song. WTF were they thinking?! Aside from not fitting the song it's just a BAD solo!
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I enjoyed the first audioslave album but the second was really really bad. Cornell had a much better vocal performance with Soundgarden... I think ed hasnt declined with his vocals as much in comparison.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    10_pearljam10_pearljam Posts: 172
    exolstice wrote:
    I don't care for Audioslave at all. It sounds painfully generic.

thumbs up for audioslave...you think about it too much. just listen and enjoy. they sound like an up to date evolved version of soundgarden...things change...
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    Chris Cornell is my favorite lead singer of all time. I love everything he has ever done. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, his solo stuff, and Audioslave.

Audioslave's first record is a classic. It's got a lot of great tunes on it and it works really well as a whole. Out of Exile, however, doesn't add up. For me it sounded as if Cornell was sleepwalking through the entire CD. Not once did I hear anything remotely close to the passion that was so recently on their self-titled debut. Morello's solos are still amazing on Out of Exile, he's in top form on the whole CD. But Cornell just seems to have lost something here. And it's not just Cornell's vocals that are poor on the record, the songwriting is lacking too. "Doesn't Remind Me" is a throwaway pop song that made me sick the first time I heard it.

Hopefully Cornell rediscovers his passion and his songwriting on the new Audioslave record. But really, can you blame the guy? He made GREAT music for like 15 years. People can only maintain a level of greatness for so long. Ya know?
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Audioslave is average at best and Cornell is definitely wasted in that band
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    i personally think audioslave are shit.

epsecially next to soundgarden.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Options
    I don't think they are splitting up, they're just finishing up their new album, i suspect the reason the tour was cancelled was because their promotional schedule has changed.

For the most part, I love Audioslave. This is not to say they don't still have work to do. Soundgarden didn't really hit their stride til Badmotorfinger, and I think it's gonna be the same situation with AS. Cornell really needs to work on the consistency of his live performances, giving up smoking should have helped a lot with this though.

I think the main difference with Cornell in AS compared to all the other music he has done, is that he's happy now, which means a lot of his lyrics don't have that darker edge to them. I hope he returns to the darker themes on the new album, I'd love to hear the lyrical depth of Superunknown again.
    all of this is true.

Audioslave might never break up.. that's how good their relationship is.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    i wish he'd leave and do another solo album.
  • Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    everyone has a different set of ears.............like what you like ....I'm a fan. I've seen them 14 times so far and even when CCs voice isn't in top form live, overall the band as a whole makes it worth my while to be there......and in looking over the crowd, I can see they're feeling it too.....while it's hard NOT to compare the guys and CC to their past endevors, to me I feel they're doing what THEY want and love, together, and then share it with us. I sounds like the 3rd album will be different and may garner more attention than the 1st 2 combined. But I'm an optimist and that's my wishful thinking. If CC ever wants to do a solo album again, he will. It's just now is NOT the time.....try not to judge them more til Revelations comes out sometime in September.....

an Audiophile fan club member...
    :)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,267
    I really like their first album. Out of Exile I thought was a bit crappy.

I think they are pretty good, but so many of their songs are predictable. Morello is awesome, but a solo in every song? They aren't great solos IMHO either.
  • Options
    UlalumeUlalume Posts: 48
    I love Chris Cornell's voice. I don't care what he sings, as long as he's still singing.
    How dark a woe! yet how sublime a hope!
    How silently serene a sea of pride!
    How daring an ambition! yet how deep--
    How fathomless a capacity for love!
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    I'm to the point where I can't stand his vocals in Audioslave. It's a pain listening to the bootlegs of Audioslave that I have.

I still love his vocals in his solo work, SG and TOTD.
  • Options
    I think the Rage Against the Machine boys are wasted in audioslave. Every time I hear audioslave I cringe at the generic sound. Plus audioslaves lyrics seem so boring and meaningless when compared to the message of RATM.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I really like their first album. Out of Exile I thought was a bit crappy.
    See, the funny thing is that I actually do like that song.... but I can't stand that stupid guitar solo. If I could find a way to edit the solo out I might actually put the song on a cd mix. But I don't have the right programs for that.
    "and he still gives his love, he just gives it away and the love he receives is the love that is saved,..."
  • Options
    wielewiele Posts: 6
    audioslave is a very good band. I saw them last year, cornell was amazing and like it or not, morellos guitar play is really good! their first album was amazing, their second was good. I was planning to see them again in europe this summer, let's hope they come later this year!
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I seem to think all band members were in amazing groups to begin with and it is hard to jump to another band and be as good. Hell, can the Rage guys ever be in a band to compare with the energy of Rage? Any other band will be a disappointment.

I think Weiland did the switch with a group possibly as good as his previous band (we will see as Velvet Revolver progresses), but not many are so lucky.

Audioslave is too radio rock for me these days, but they did put on a good show when I saw them at lollapalooza a couple of years ago.

I wish all of Audioslave were in their old bands, but we obviously won't get that any time soon, so Audioslave is ok. Better than hearing another crappy Rock-Metal band on the radio.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I think Weiland did the switch with a group possibly as good as his previous band (we will see as Velvet Revolver progresses), but not many are so lucky.
    Kind of helps that he got one of the best guitarists there ever was. IMO Slash is the best guitarist alive. On a top 100 list of those still living I'd put Slash at number one.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Zoso wrote:
    I enjoyed the first audioslave album but the second was really really bad. Cornell had a much better vocal performance with Soundgarden... I think ed hasnt declined with his vocals as much in comparison.

Damn! That's pretty heavy considering that David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Warren Haynes, and Mike McCready are still alive...not to mention Gary Moore, Buddy Guy, Eric Crapton, and Robin Trower.

Personally, I put Prince ahead of Slash, but they're both in my top 25. :)