alice in chains' first show last night

edited September 2006 in Other Music
alice in chains played their first show in las vegas last night starting off their first 40 city tour.

and WOW, i wasnt even at the show and it was incredible!!! from what has been said they truely lived up to their name and legacy. previously they were playing identical setlist anywhere from 13-17 songs. and all the hits.

last night, was a totally different story!!!! they played 21 songs, completely different setlists and songs they have NEVER played live before. they played:

9/22 las vegas

whale and wasp (intro, recording)
again
bleed the freak
grind (never been played live)
it ain't like that
junkhead
no excuses
nutshell
them bones
dam that river
rain when i die
don't follow (wow..thats all i can say)
brother (same)
killer is me
got me wrong
down in a hole
frogs (wow)
dirt
sludge factory
we die young
angry chair
man in the box

and during the set breaks they played some sort of slide show with pictures of layne and a montage of the band from past to present. anyone who thinks this tour isnt in honor, can officially shove their original thoughts up their ass. i cant believe this. and i cant wait till i see them in nyc nov.01

did i mention they are my favorite band?

9/25 tempe arizona
AGAIN
BLEED THE FREAK
GRIND
IT AIN'T LIKE THAT
JUNKHEAD/WHAT THE HELL HAVE I
NO EXCUSES
NUT SHELL
THEM BONES
DAM THAT RIVER
RAIN WHEN I DIE

Acoustic songs
DON'T FOLLOW
OVER NOW
SLUDGE FACTORY
THE KILLER IS ME
FROGS
GOT ME WRONG
DOWN IN A HOLE

Electric
WE DIE YOUNG
HEAVEN BESIDE YOU
ANGRY CHAIR
MAN IN THE BOX

Encore
ROOSTER
WOULD?

24 songs, 3 more songs than last show, these sets are starting to reach pj territory!!! (plus u ogtta realize aic release the equivalent of about 4 albums, vs pjs equivalent of what 11 albums?. they played what the hell have i! which hasnt been played yet with the new singer. they played sludge factory acoustic!!! they also played over now and heaven beside you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I would never have even entertained the thought of seeing AIC without Layne until I read your post. They were also one of my favorite bands, still love their stuff to this day.

Does their new lead come close to doing Layne justice? I wonder....

Nice setlist! Whale and Wasp is one of my favorite pieces of music. The moodieness of it, pretty powerful stuff :)
  • the new singer is not like layne at all really, that was the point. they didnt want an imitator, they wanted a different sound. of course he is not as good as layne, but alot of people respect him.
    hes the lead singer for the band "comes with the fall". and i hate to sound like a racist but i think its somewhat neccesary to point out that he is black. like i said, that shouldnt be a turn down or anything, but its odd, dont u think?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    I saw them at the Astoria a few months back and at Download festival

its great hearing those tunes again

One of my favourites too, i cant choose between Pj and AIC.

I cant believe some of the songs they played

don't follow (wow..thats all i can say)
    rotten apple (same)

frog ?

wooo
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Wow.
    Sounds like they are doing it right. I might have to go see them, if they come around stl that is.

hmmmm...I wonder if the new Blind Melon will have the same outcome (I hope so)
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    was william duvall doing vocals? he rocks! not as good as layne but still pretty damn good
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    darkcrow wrote:
    was william duvall doing vocals? he rocks! not as good as layne but still pretty damn good

yeah, i saw them at the Download Festival and he did a really good job. I was so glad I got a chance to see them and didn't know what to expect from the new singer but he was cool.

Wow...i didn't know they've never played Grind before.....
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • yeah there are plenty of songs they never played live. they never did a full tour for their self titled album, so the only songs they played live from that album were sludge factory,again, and god am. plus over now and frogs for unplugged.
    yeah there are plenty of songs they never played live. they never did a full tour for their self titled album, so the only songs they played live from that album were sludge factory,again, and god am. plus over now and frogs for unplugged.

& Heaven Beside You ;)

Yeah I didn't realise that, nice to see they're playing them now though.
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • Layne was indeed one of the best vocalists in Rock music. RIP

I just don't get this AIC tour. It's all about the $$$, isn't it? I know Jerry was big part of AIC, but Layne was to them what ed is to PJ.
    Layne was indeed one of the best vocalists in Rock music. RIP

I just don't get this AIC tour. It's all about the $$$, isn't it? I know Jerry was big part of AIC, but Layne was to them what ed is to PJ.

True, he was. But im sure its just not about the money, they just want to be playing with each other again. I, just like many other people, am just glad I got to see them, even without Layne, because in the early 90's I was too young and wasn't into music back then. So I'm so glad they did this tour.:)
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • Wow that is certainly a very amazing setlist. Some very cool songs on it indeed.
    I would urge people to go and see them and not to be put off by the new singer. William certainly does a very good job and although he is no Layne he brings a different edge to the songs.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    Wow that is certainly a very amazing setlist. Some very cool songs on it indeed.
    I would urge people to go and see them and not to be put off by the new singer. William certainly does a very good job and although he is no Layne he brings a different edge to the songs.

heya caz. long time no... you knwo the rest ;) lol
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    wow, incredible set list.......we just got our tix for SF so I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    *non-stop chills*

GRIND!!? :eek: I just BUMPED my AIC thread with that the other day! No way! Holy shit!!!$#:eek: And then right into IT AIN'T LIKE THAT?? Double Holy shit! OMG! Oh wow! DON'T FOLLOW!!? :o

This setlist is absolutely jaw dropping!

Awwww!!! A Layne montage?? *tears* :( That is too beautiful.

Thank you for posting this alice's pearl garden.
    I completely agree with you. Anyone that doubts that this is an honor can shove it. I am so grateful for this tribute. SO grateful. :)

Toshie I just got mine too! I am in total shock right now. Then to come and read this?? I can't believe it's finally gonna happen! I can't believe I'll be experiencing this first hand. NOV 26th!!! ALICE IN fuckin CHAINS and we'll be there!!! :D :eek:
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • [size=+5]FROGS?!?!?!?![/size]
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    *non-stop chills*

GRIND!!? :eek: I just BUMPED my AIC thread with that the other day! No way! Holy shit!!!$#:eek: And then right into IT AIN'T LIKE THAT?? Double Holy shit! OMG! Oh wow! DON'T FOLLOW!!? :o

I completely agree with you. Anyone that doubts that this is an honor can shove it. I am so grateful for this tribute. SO grateful. :)

Toshie I just got mine too! I am in total shock right now. Then to come and read this?? I can't believe it's finally gonna happen! I can't believe I'll be experiencing this first hand. NOV 26th!!! ALICE IN fuckin CHAINS and we'll be there!!! :D :eek:

OMG sis!!! that is what first saw too GRIND?! :eek: so does that mean we will get to see GRIND LIVE on Nov. 26th w/u, me and Pati?! OH HELL YES!!!

I LOVE Grind!! oh man, now I want to watch the video now. Seeing Layne wear that white suit and him and Jerry's harmonies in that song AMAZING!! :D

I can't wait for the SF show in two months!
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQA3ElY4HZ4

fucking terrific!

I GOTTA see them!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I never saw the original lineup but caught them this summer and Duval was solid. I would love to hit another show now they are mixing it up!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    *non-stop chills*

yea no problem, i had to post this, its fuckin incredible.

alice in chains is totally proving to us they can do it again, and dare i say better? (atleast the original 3 are doing it better now) i remember people doubting this tour will have any extra songs being played, and BAM look at their first show!

oh and apparently rotten apple was a mistake, it was not played :( but im sure it will be played soon.

now if only alice in chains tours with pearl jam, oh my god, words cannot describe that. if this happens, and i see it, it will be the best day of my life without a doubt. 2 incredible surving bands from the 90s coming back. (ok pj never left but u get the picture)
  • Dam
    That
    River
    ?!?!?!?!?! :eek:
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Of course cash is involved. Of course, it's pretty dubious to reform the band without Layne. But at least they did it with the right singer (not a Layne clone), playing great sets (saw them this summer) and if/when they record a new album they apparently won't use the name Alice in Chains.

I hope I'll see them again soon (and then I would have seen DuVall-AiC more than Staley-AiC, weird)
  • Sweet set! I hope I get to experience all those songs in Atlanta on OCTOBER 10!!!! I can't fuckin wait!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am very excited for the Atlanta show :)

i've seen 3 jerry solo shows with william and they did quite a few AIC songs and they all sounded great.

This thread makes me happy :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I know Jerry was big part of AIC, but Layne was to them what ed is to PJ.

No he wasn't. People fail to realise that Jerry wrote most songs, did a lot of work and sang more than simply backing vocals. If anything, Layne and Jerry are what Ed is to PJ. They were a team.

I was so happy to hear that AIC were touring again, as I only got into them after Layne died, I never thought that I'd ever hear an AIC song live.
    Anyone that has seen them with William will agree that he's not replacing Layne, just doing him pretty good justice. He was the best out of the prospective singers they tried out, and he is certainly not trying to step on Layne's toes.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    Jennytree wrote:
    No he wasn't. People fail to realise that Jerry wrote most songs, did a lot of work and sang more than simply backing vocals. If anything, Layne and Jerry are what Ed is to PJ. They were a team.

I was so happy to hear that AIC were touring again, as I only got into them after Layne died, I never thought that I'd ever hear an AIC song live.
    Anyone that has seen them with William will agree that he's not replacing Layne, just doing him pretty good justice. He was the best out of the prospective singers they tried out, and he is certainly not trying to step on Layne's toes.

Ok, he does a good job at not being 'too' much of a Layne style singer, he's got good voice for sure, but some of us will never really, truley see this new line up as AiC, it's like Aic doing covers of their own songs!?!?! ... a new band, sure, might be interesting, under a new name. I don't agree, Layne was AiC .. basically, it's the image of him that springs to mind for most when AiC are mentioned, even if Jerry was just as much a part of what made the sound/style.

I love JC, love his solo stuff, and some of my fav' AiC tracks are ones he wrote, but those songs just aint quite the same without Layne, as alot of them were in fact about him.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • good points, but when did layne ever say it was his band? like eddie vedder, he was never like "oh i sing, im the main man". so im sure layne is proud of them carrying on the bands name still. accept what we have.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    oh yes child, we WILL indeed! Laurie didn't get me a seat so MOMMA IS ON THE FLOOR with the rest of yas!!!!

um, wow! Color this old broad EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! William is HOT and sings his freakin' heart out!!!!!!!!!!
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    *non-stop chills*

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,597
    i was there , it was a kick ass awesome show!
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• darkcrow wrote:
    we def need a boot of this

True, true, true, true, true :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles