dmb's best song

2»

Comments

• Don't drink the water.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    Don't drink the water.
    what a great song....i had forgot about that one.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    did anyone catch the special when dave played the acoustic set with robbins.....that was a great program.
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    halloween, the last stop, crash (ONLY when stoned), and uh...yeah that's pretty much the only good DMB songs huh. ;)
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I am not a big fan. I only have 20 of their songs on my ipod and only own "Under the Table" and the one with "Crash" on it.

They do have some great songs on those albums.

My vote would be:

Rhyme and Reason
    Grace is Gone
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • 1. Halloween...God its awesome
    2. Watchtower...Not their song, but their arrangement (Michael Hedges ripoff) rocks so hard
    3. Crush...Great Groove
    4. Pig
    5. Seek UP
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Stay or Leave

love that song!
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i can not stop listening to "you never know". anyone else out there like this song?

what cd is that on?
  • seek up
    granny
    i'll back you up
    best of whats around
    the stone (live version from listener supported is better than studio)
    two step
    crush
    crash into me
    grey street
    dodo, grey blue eyes, stay or leave (from solo album)

and the WORST song ever recorded - "mother father" from everyday. the lyrics are sooooooo corny i try to dare myself to listen to this song once every couple of years and i never am able to make it through the whole song without cutting it

everyday in general is the biggest drop in quality any band has ever taken from one album to the next...you go from soulful, unique acoustic music with great lyrics to overproduced generic pop crap with atrocious lyrics.....awful!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    what cd is that on?

busted stuff
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    everyday in general is the biggest drop in quality any band has ever taken from one album to the next...you go from soulful, unique acoustic music with great lyrics to overproduced generic pop crap with atrocious lyrics.....awful!!

Yeah I remember hearing they dropped the songs (I think they were called The Lillywhite Sessions) and tried to make a more poppy album with "Everyday". I guess the Lillywhite stuff came out on Busted Stuff later.

How is Busted Stuff compated to Everyday? Would Busted Stuff not have been such a drop in quality?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah I remember hearing they dropped the songs (I think they were called The Lillywhite Sessions) and tried to make a more poppy album with "Everyday". I guess the Lillywhite stuff came out on Busted Stuff later.

How is Busted Stuff compated to Everyday? Would Busted Stuff not have been such a drop in quality?

busted stuff is more pre-everyday dmb....some great tunes there
  • busted stuff is just the lillywhite songs rerecorded, with one or two exceptions.....they should have gone straight to that and never done everyday....it would be a better world without it.....i think dave buckled to record company pressure to put out pop shit...he co-wrote the songs with glen ballard, who made alanis morrisette a superstar

which makes you appreciate a band like Pearl Jam even more....it takes balls to tell your record company "fuck off! we're doing what WE want to do!"
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • no order

HALLOWEEN
    THE LAST STOP
    DREAMING TREE
    PIG
    TYPICAL SITUATION
    PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET
    JTR
    SEEK UP
    GREY STREET ( 00-02 ) when the song had some pizz azz
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    Granny
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
    Granny
    good call.........for my wife's birthday we went dancing and i slipped this song to the dj at the establishment. when he played the song the entire dance floor emptied and allowed the two of us to have the whole place to ourselves.
  • Reading this thread makes me realize: DMB is a top notch band.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Reading this thread makes me realize: DMB is a top notch band.

they definitely are a top-notch band. not as diverse as certain other bands (pearl jam) but they are definitely an excellent live band and have a ton of great songs.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    another vote for 2step
    I love to turn you on
  • granny, lover lay down, spoon...so many to choose from...but there are also a lot of stinkers out there. Everyday(album) has been mentioned tons but I also wasn't very high on Stand Up either. BTCS is the tops IMO.
    I am Jack, The Pumpkin King!
    The eyes are the groin of the head.
    As I stated earlier, I am not a big DMB guy, but I have been listening to songs I have that people mention and they are good.

I just listened to 2 Step and really like it.
  • DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i can not stop listening to "you never know". anyone else out there like this song?

You Never Know is my favorite Dave Matthews Band song : )
    Thanks for understanding how amazing it is...
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    Granny

Granny is amazing :)
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I think Bartender is one of the finest songs ever written.

Dave is an inconsistent writer, I feel, but when he's on, I think he's one of the finest songwriters. Grey Street, Warehouse, The Stone, The Dreaming Tree, The Last Stop, #41, Cry Freedom are just more examples. I think for their first four or so albums (counting the Lillywhite Session/Busted Stuff material), they were one of the greats. I hope with their next album they can recapture that.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Yes! Thank you! Lovin all the #41 love. Awww! I worship that song to no end! One of the prettiest things I have ever heard. :o Definitely at the top of my very long list of favs.

Some from the very long list...

Granny
    Jimi Thing
    Grey Street
    Dancing Nancies
    So Much To Say
    Best of whats around
    Two Step
    Crush
    Everyday
    Seek Up
    Stay or Leave
    Typical Situation
    Tripping Billies
    Dont Drink The Water (that Central Park version!?!? :eek: Holy shit!!)
    Crash
    You might die trying
    Grace is Gone
    Out Of My Hands
    Bartender
    Ants Marching

Sister, Ehee and fuckin Cornbread too! Woooo!!! That Live @ Radio City music hall is frickin phenomenal!

haha daaaamn. Sorry to go off but it's not often that an opportunity to praise Dave presents itself around here. ;)

Ooh and I must add, in response to the original post, You Never Know. Thats a great song too! I love the words. So empowering! Thats what I really love about Dave. He always shines the light on the dark reality of things...all the sadness, all the heartache, all the fucked up shit in the world...and ALWAYS turns it around into something positive, hopeful and uplifting. *sigh* He makes me happy. :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • my favorite is definately "Dancing Nancies", runner-up goes to "Satellite"
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Yes! Thank you! Lovin all the #41 love. Awww! I worship that song to no end! One of the prettiest things I have ever heard. :o Definitely at the top of my very long list of favs.

Some from the very long list...

Granny
    Jimi Thing
    Grey Street
    Dancing Nancies
    So Much To Say
    Best of whats around
    Two Step
    Crush
    Everyday
    Seek Up
    Stay or Leave
    Typical Situation
    Tripping Billies
    Dont Drink The Water (that Central Park version!?!? :eek: Holy shit!!)
    Crash
    You might die trying
    Grace is Gone
    Out Of My Hands
    Bartender
    Ants Marching

Sister, Ehee and fuckin Cornbread too! Woooo!!! That Live @ Radio City music hall is frickin phenomenal!

haha daaaamn. Sorry to go off but it's not often that an opportunity to praise Dave presents itself around here. ;)

Ooh and I must add, in response to the original post, You Never Know. Thats a great song too! I love the words. So empowering! Thats what I really love about Dave. He always shines the light on the dark reality of things...all the sadness, all the heartache, all the fucked up shit in the world...and ALWAYS turns it around into something positive, hopeful and uplifting. *sigh* He makes me happy. :)
    wow......you got your "dmb shit together". :)
  • jimi thing
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    ajedigecko wrote:
    wow......you got your "dmb shit together". :)

hehehe awww! Thanks. :) I'm actually a convert too. :p
    What can I say? I had a brilliant "teacher". ;)

Ooo sweet dcne200! I'm listening to acoustic Dancing Nancies right now!!

Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes
    But Ill work it out

Then I
    Look up at the sky
    My mouth is open wide, lick and taste
    Whats the use in worrying?
    Whats the use in hurrying?

*sigh* Looooove it. So simple but so effective and powerful.

With all the ticket craziness these days, people around here sure could use a good dose of some Dave. ;)

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••