RHCP-Another reason we love PJ

2»

Comments

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I do not agree that the RHCP are a better recorded band. I really tried to like Stadium but just found out it verbose. Needed major editing. It would have been a great single album. As for the live work, I agree they have their limitations, the first of which being Keidis. I could listen to Flea and Johnny play all night but Keidis just cant fucking sing. He still has this whole funk/spoken word thing he does that never amounts to carrying a tune. That shit does get old after awhile. But I think the rest of the band kicks ass. Imagine the Chilis backing band with someone like Cornell at the helm and drop the fund shit and just play straight up rock

From 2000 on I definately think RHCP made the better studio albums. Californication and especially By The Way were so much better than Biaural/Riot Act as just studio albums. The problem with Stadium I think is its quanity over quality. It was ambitious as hell and I really like the record but there isn't really anything special about some of them...like 21st Century. I can't argue Keidis doesn't have his off nights. I really liked Keidis voice on the BTW songs. I thought he was really starting to develop into a vocalist but then he changed his style again on Stadium. Its real twangy like how he sings WEEE in We Believe. I probably have 20 or so RHCP boots and most of them are forgetable. Even the couple of times I saw them I was expecting more but I've just come to accept that they aren't PJ on stage. To suggest that Keidis is the weak link in the band and they would be better off with a different lead singer I don't agree with. Anthony and Flea are the face of the band...you just don't replace that.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Mickey1794 wrote:
    They only played three different songs in LA. Also, on each night they only played 7 songs from their new album out of 28 songs! How can this be possible? I mean I appreciate them playing old music but I really wanted to hear some of the deeper songs like Animal Bar, So Much I, Death of a Martian, Hard to Concentrate, etc.
    haha yeah right.

the old music...

they aren't playing the old music, they're playing the older-new music.

BREAK OUT THE FUNKY MONKS ALREADY YA MOOKS
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I have been seeing the RHCPs since the mid-80s...their gigs used to mean to me what PJ gigs mean to me.....great energetic shows, and a great vibe.

I got to see them at UCLA with Guns & Roses opening in 1986, as well as when they opened for Run DMC in 1987...so many fun gigs!...the 1991 gig with Nirvana, PJ And the RHCPS was epic!

However, as they have matured/aged, they have stopped playing any older songs, so seeing them live now really bores me!

I am glad they are as succesful as they have become, since they come from my neighborhood, and they (Flea/Swan) went to my High School (I am a few years younger).

To me, they don't seem like a band that you would follow around on tour, or collect their rarities Their fan club is multi-tiered.

They have lost me, but I am glad that others enjoy them as much as they do!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    haha yeah right.

the old music...

they aren't playing the old music, they're playing the older-new music.

BREAK OUT THE FUNKY MONKS ALREADY YA MOOKS

There ya go - I did read they've played Sir Psycho Sexy a few times though. I hope they do at one of my shows. I'd really like to hear Suck My Kiss too.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I have been seeing the RHCPs since the mid-80s...their gigs used to mean to me what PJ gigs mean to me.....great energetic shows, and a great vibe.

I got to see them at UCLA with Guns & Roses opening in 1986, as well as when they opened for Run DMC in 1987...so many fun gigs!...the 1991 gig with Nirvana, PJ And the RHCPS was epic!

I'm so jealous!
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Shit, I would be jealous too! Those sound like quite the shows. I only wish that I could have experienced the Peppers back then