RHCP-Another reason we love PJ

Mickey1794Mickey1794 Posts: 104
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Did anyone happen to see RHCP in San Diego or LA this last week? I was truly disappointed in their shows this time around. Don't get me wrong because they played their music awesome except that they only played 1:45 the first night-which I thought they had ended the show early because hundreds of people began rushing the floor. But then in LA night 1 they only played 1:50. On top of that, it was almost exactly the same set list both nights in the same order! They only played three different songs in LA. Also, on each night they only played 7 songs from their new album out of 28 songs! How can this be possible? I mean I appreciate them playing old music but I really wanted to hear some of the deeper songs like Animal Bar, So Much I, Death of a Martian, Hard to Concentrate, etc. I felt like I was at a commercialized Madonna tour or something. They even wore the same clothes. This is why I love (and you love) PJ because you never know what your going to get. Every night they have a special surprise for us. And can you imagine them only playing 1:45. That amount of time is for a new band like The Killers or something not for 20 year veterans like RHCP. I still love them but they made me really appreciate everything my favorite band PJ has to offer.
11/5/93 Indio, CA;11/6/95 SD; 7/13/98 LA; 10/24/00 LA; 10/28/00 SB; 4/1/03 CO; 6/2/03 OC; 6/5/03 SD; 9/2/05 BC; 7/9-10/06 LA; 10/21/06 Bridge; 12/9/06 Oahu; 10/27/07 Bridge; 4/12/08 Eddie; 6/30/08 Mansfield; 9/30/09 Universal; 7/9/11 Eddie; 11/23-24/13 LA; 11/26/13 Oak.;10/22/13 CO
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    I've always heard that they suck performing live. Maybe someone else can explain that a bit better.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • My friend is a die-hard Peppers fan and he loves to try and argue which band is better. Don't get why, I mean, it's quite obvious who is better (wink,wink,nudge,nudge). But he just doesn't seem to get it when I say PJ's live shows are second to none. He takes it as I'm just trying to hype my favorite band, which i kinda am, but i'm also being completely serious. PJ is something you really need to experience live to get, and fortunately for many of us, we have. (sorry to those who haven't seen them live, but i stand by my statement. i got into PJ between 98-2000, but didn't see them live until 03, and it just brought my liking to a whole other level.) Unfortunately for my friend, he says he won't pay to see PJ and I don't think I'll ever get around to taking him (other people are higher on my list). Anyways, the Peppers are great musicians and you cannot take that away from them. But I think they are caught up in commercialization. Their "hits" are just their catchiest songs, not their best. They don't need to make music videos anymore, but if they truely love to, then they shouldn't stop. Still, I find that their videos are bland where they could be much more creative and meaningful. They could make setlists like PJ and play for 2+ hours and it wouldn't hurt them one bit. So why don't they?
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    I really don't know how many more times I can watch Flea playing butt-naked.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUjTXSVgjA
    Where is Lowlight?
  • I saw the Chilis as well in L.A on night 2 and was blown away. I mean cmon they brought freaking Jack Irons out for a set. Where is the love man? Look, no one brings it every night like PJ. PJ is frankly the only band I know of who consistently mixes up their set list every night...some times. Id be pretty pissed off if I flew to Europe from the States to see some of those canned set lists the boys did in England and Ireland though.

No one does a mixed set list on the globe. The Who dont do it, U2 dont do it, the Stones dont do it, The Chilis dont do it. I actually liked the Chilis set. I would never go see their show twice in a row though and id see twenty PJ shows in a row no problem. Its just a different approach.

PJ has made their name on their touring largely because their albums have not sold well in many years, including the current album. Stadium Arcadium, which is not a great album, is selling bazillions of units while Avocado is........well.........Gone.
    '
    Its just a fact. PJ shows up every night with a new show. Thats why we fork out loads of dough to see like 5 shows in a tour. The Chilis were great man. Flea and Johnny are on top of their game. Just because they did not play 30 songs does not mean they did not do a good show....Its just not a show you need to see twice.
  • IwasBittin wrote:
    My friend is a die-hard Peppers fan and he loves to try and argue which band is better. Don't get why, I mean, it's quite obvious who is better (wink,wink,nudge,nudge). But he just doesn't seem to get it when I say PJ's live shows are second to none. He takes it as I'm just trying to hype my favorite band, which i kinda am, but i'm also being completely serious. PJ is something you really need to experience live to get, and fortunately for many of us, we have. (sorry to those who haven't seen them live, but i stand by my statement. i got into PJ between 98-2000, but didn't see them live until 03, and it just brought my liking to a whole other level.) Unfortunately for my friend, he says he won't pay to see PJ and I don't think I'll ever get around to taking him (other people are higher on my list). Anyways, the Peppers are great musicians and you cannot take that away from them. But I think they are caught up in commercialization. Their "hits" are just their catchiest songs, not their best. They don't need to make music videos anymore, but if they truely love to, then they shouldn't stop. Still, I find that their videos are bland where they could be much more creative and meaningful. They could make setlists like PJ and play for 2+ hours and it wouldn't hurt them one bit. So why don't they?

I dont think the Chilis could pull off a 2 and a half hour show. You would get lost and the schtick would get old.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    IwasBittin wrote:
    My friend is a die-hard Peppers fan and he loves to try and argue which band is better. Don't get why, I mean, it's quite obvious who is better (wink,wink,nudge,nudge). But he just doesn't seem to get it when I say PJ's live shows are second to none. He takes it as I'm just trying to hype my favorite band, which i kinda am, but i'm also being completely serious. PJ is something you really need to experience live to get, and fortunately for many of us, we have. (sorry to those who haven't seen them live, but i stand by my statement. i got into PJ between 98-2000, but didn't see them live until 03, and it just brought my liking to a whole other level.) Unfortunately for my friend, he says he won't pay to see PJ and I don't think I'll ever get around to taking him (other people are higher on my list). Anyways, the Peppers are great musicians and you cannot take that away from them. But I think they are caught up in commercialization. Their "hits" are just their catchiest songs, not their best. They don't need to make music videos anymore, but if they truely love to, then they shouldn't stop. Still, I find that their videos are bland where they could be much more creative and meaningful. They could make setlists like PJ and play for 2+ hours and it wouldn't hurt them one bit. So why don't they?

i took a friend to the virginia show in 03, he was a casual pj fan, thought they were good overall but didn't really listen to them and while he thought they were good thought they were also overhyped...he even made joke about the sign saying you could order the boot of the show...he was completely blown away and as we were leaving said the first thing he was gonna do when he got home was order the boot!

pj are just so damned tight as a band and they don't have a single weak member.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    frusciante is amazing though.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Good point. I think Pearl Jam spoils us like that. Tool plays about the same times as you mentioned for RHCP, and considering the length of their songs, it's pretty weak. I've never been to a bad Pearl Jam show...or a short one.

I used to like RHCP very much, and I had high hopes after Californication, but I have not liked these last 2 records at all.
  • I saw the Chilis as well in L.A on night 2 and was blown away. I mean cmon they brought freaking Jack Irons out for a set. Where is the love man? Look, no one brings it every night like PJ. PJ is frankly the only band I know of who consistently mixes up their set list every night...some times. Id be pretty pissed off if I flew to Europe from the States to see some of those canned set lists the boys did in England and Ireland though.

No one does a mixed set list on the globe. The Who dont do it, U2 dont do it, the Stones dont do it, The Chilis dont do it. I actually liked the Chilis set. I would never go see their show twice in a row though and id see twenty PJ shows in a row no problem. Its just a different approach.

PJ has made their name on their touring largely because their albums have not sold well in many years, including the current album. Stadium Arcadium, which is not a great album, is selling bazillions of units while Avocado is........well.........Gone.
    '
    Its just a fact. PJ shows up every night with a new show. Thats why we fork out loads of dough to see like 5 shows in a tour. The Chilis were great man. Flea and Johnny are on top of their game. Just because they did not play 30 songs does not mean they did not do a good show....Its just not a show you need to see twice.

well said. I mean cmon. Also....1:50 is pretty good. Very fey bands play 2+ hours.

ALSO, a band should not have to anticipate that it will be the same crowd each night. They play different venues / cities for a reason....to cover more of their fan base and give everyone a chance to see them play. otherwise, you would only see a band hi 8 cities, 4 times each istead of 32 cities.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    well said. I mean cmon. Also....1:50 is pretty good. Very fey bands play 2+ hours.

ALSO, a band should not have to anticipate that it will be the same crowd each night. They play different venues / cities for a reason....to cover more of their fan base and give everyone a chance to see them play. otherwise, you would only see a band hi 8 cities, 4 times each istead of 32 cities.

On the other hand, Pearl Jam tends to play the same venue more then one night (often several nights in a row) because they know people want to see them more than once.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    BeBe wrote:
    I really don't know how many more times I can watch Flea playing butt-naked.

LOL I just want him to wear his skeleton suit sometime at a show I see.

But I know what the original poster means. I like the RHCP - I don't like their newer stuff quite as much, but I make it a point to see them 1-2x per tour. That amount is enough - I don't need to travel all around to see basically the same show every night. But they're a good band and worth seeing, and I always look forward to seeing frusciante and flea. We're on John's side in Montreal, and on the floor in Quebec C. Is John sitting on speakers with extended jams this tour anyone?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    If RHCP released bootlegs the same way PJ did maybe they would be inclined to open up the catalog a little bit more. This is not to imply anything negative about the motives of PJ. From a business standpoint RHCP sell a lot of albums and they are a viable stadium/arena rock band. Not many people going to these shows are even going to notice a cookie cutter setlist let alone complain about it. I want to hear Warm Tape, Turn It Again, Animal Bar, The Greeting Song, and Minor Thing but I'm going to get Give it Away, Dani California, and Californication. If RHCP had the ability PJ does as a live band they would seriously give PJ a run for their money because when it comes to studio albums RHCP hits homeruns. Stadium was more like a triple but a lot of it has to do with the album being a lot to digest and there is a bit of filler.

I don't think RHCP could even handle 3 hour changing setlists on a consistent basis. To the listener it would get old because 1) Unless they practice their asses off I doubt they even know how to play half of their catalog live. They make a lot of mistakes on songs they've played a million times 2) John Frusciante is better in the studio and so is Anthony. As much as I hate to say it 2 hours is enough. The band is like a brotherhood yet they can't seem to tap into their collective purpose while together on a stage.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • yosi wrote:
    On the other hand, Pearl Jam tends to play the same venue more then one night (often several nights in a row) because they know people want to see them more than once.

also because they have extremely loyal fans, but do not have as large of a fan base as many bands...as they don't overly play into the media games.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • JaneNY wrote:

But I know what the original poster means. I like the RHCP - I don't like their newer stuff quite as much, but I make it a point to see them 1-2x per tour. That amount is enough - I don't need to travel all around to see basically the same show every night. But they're a good band and worth seeing, and I always look forward to seeing frusciante and flea. We're on John's side in Montreal, and on the floor in Quebec C. Is John sitting on speakers with extended jams this tour anyone?
    He did some amazing jams. He played a nearly perfect Jimmy Page intro to a Zeppelin song and got the crowd all worked up they were going to do a Zeppelin Song and then they F'd us by going into a funked up Chili Song. He and Flea did the same thing with the intro to London Calling. Great guitar and Bass work on this show.
  • culot4 wrote:
    If RHCP released bootlegs the same way PJ did maybe they would be inclined to open up the catalog a little bit more. This is not to imply anything negative about the motives of PJ. From a business standpoint RHCP sell a lot of albums and they are a viable stadium/arena rock band. Not many people going to these shows are even going to notice a cookie cutter setlist let alone complain about it. I want to hear Warm Tape, Turn It Again, Animal Bar, The Greeting Song, and Minor Thing but I'm going to get Give it Away, Dani California, and Californication. If RHCP had the ability PJ does as a live band they would seriously give PJ a run for their money because when it comes to studio albums RHCP hits homeruns. Stadium was more like a triple but a lot of it has to do with the album being a lot to digest and there is a bit of filler.

I don't think RHCP could even handle 3 hour changing setlists on a consistent basis. To the listener it would get old because 1) Unless they practice their asses off I doubt they even know how to play half of their catalog live. They make a lot of mistakes on songs they've played a million times 2) John Frusciante is better in the studio and so is Anthony. As much as I hate to say it 2 hours is enough. The band is like a brotherhood yet they can't seem to tap into their collective purpose while together on a stage.
    You need to see them on this tour. I was a serioud doubter too and they kick ass on stage musically. Im not much of a Kiedas fan and think he is the weak link but John and Flea are near to the best at their position in Rock today. Especially Flea on Bass is worth the price of the ticket itself. He is very special.
  • culot4 wrote:

Why sell bootlegs when you are selling bazillions of your actual record?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    He did some amazing jams. He played a nearly perfect Jimmy Page intro to a Zeppelin song and got the crowd all worked up they were going to do a Zeppelin Song and then they F'd us by going into a funked up Chili Song. He and Flea did the same thing with the intro to London Calling. Great guitar and Bass work on this show.

That sounds great - they did the London Calling intro on the last tour cycle (2003) too - I forget which song they segued into after though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I keep seeing how pearl jam always plays over two hours..... I've been to three shows and i don't think any of them were much over 2 hours.

I have not seen the RHCP but i am seeing them this fall i'm excited to finally check them out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I keep seeing how pearl jam always plays over two hours..... I've been to three shows and i don't think any of them were much over 2 hours.

I have not seen the RHCP but i am seeing them this fall i'm excited to finally check them out.
    i've seen them 25 or so times and never been under 2 1/2 hours .except the 2nd lollapalloza tour.....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Mickey1794 wrote:
    Did anyone happen to see RHCP in San Diego or LA this last week? I was truly disappointed in their shows this time around. Don't get me wrong because they played their music awesome except that they only played 1:45 the first night-which I thought they had ended the show early because hundreds of people began rushing the floor. But then in LA night 1 they only played 1:50. On top of that, it was almost exactly the same set list both nights in the same order! They only played three different songs in LA. Also, on each night they only played 7 songs from their new album out of 28 songs! How can this be possible? I mean I appreciate them playing old music but I really wanted to hear some of the deeper songs like Animal Bar, So Much I, Death of a Martian, Hard to Concentrate, etc. I felt like I was at a commercialized Madonna tour or something. They even wore the same clothes. This is why I love (and you love) PJ because you never know what your going to get. Every night they have a special surprise for us. And can you imagine them only playing 1:45. That amount of time is for a new band like The Killers or something not for 20 year veterans like RHCP. I still love them but they made me really appreciate everything my favorite band PJ has to offer.
    yeah last time i saw them i was not too impressed with the lenght and set list i found myself just standing there wondering when the show would get better the best shows for the chillis are at small venues or bar settings....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • i've seen the chili peppers twice, and i'd see them again. in fact, my husband - a HUGE flea/peppers fan - just looked into getting tix to our local show, but they were too pricey in his opinion, so we're skipping it. that said, hen we saw them, solid shows....really good performances...but sure, definitely shorter than a pj show, but most are. nonetheless....completely good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• So now I have a little more time, lets just point out the irony of the thread title and first post.
    The Chili Peppers are a good reason for us loving PJ as much as we do, you got that right, I'm sure we all know the history about Jack giving Eddie the demo tape then reccomending PJ to the Chilis as an opening act for them, which really put PJ on the map, so yes the Chilis are a good reason to love Pearl Jam.
    As for the generic repetitive setlist, I'm affraid PJ spoil us with their willingness to change their set up night to night as much as they do, RHCP are in the majority playing a fairly repetitive set like they do, there's only a handfull of bands that mix the sets up like PJ.
    As for the Chilis approach to releasing their music, yes it is more commercial, they work on a different philosophy to PJ again here.
    They want as many people to hear their records as possible and therefore they use all the advertising options they can, also this comes down to the recording contract though and the obligations they have commited to, unlike PJ who are more selective and involved in the promotion of their music.
    To me personally I dont give a fuck about none of this shit as long as I enjoy the music and I enjoy the music of both these bands.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.

'
    I didn't go to LA night two but did they play Under the Bridge? They definitely got off musicly but like I said it was almost exactly the same both nights. You are absolutely correct in saying their great but not for two nights like PJ
    11/5/93 Indio, CA;11/6/95 SD; 7/13/98 LA; 10/24/00 LA; 10/28/00 SB; 4/1/03 CO; 6/2/03 OC; 6/5/03 SD; 9/2/05 BC; 7/9-10/06 LA; 10/21/06 Bridge; 12/9/06 Oahu; 10/27/07 Bridge; 4/12/08 Eddie; 6/30/08 Mansfield; 9/30/09 Universal; 7/9/11 Eddie; 11/23-24/13 LA; 11/26/13 Oak.;10/22/13 CO
  • JaneNY wrote:

I really felt that this tour over Flea was the center of attention. He really did steal the show. I was disappointed because John is my favorite and he didn't get off as much as usual. There were no outstanding solos that I can remember
  • culot4 wrote:

Well said. But don't you agree that playing only 7 songs off of an album that has 28 songs is a bit ridiculous? I agree with Animal Bar ad Turn It Again Not playing those two songs was the biggest disappointment along with Hard to Concentrate and Slow Cheetah
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    this is why I have only seen this band once because I know if I see them more I would get the same songs over and over. Pearl Jam fans are truly lucky.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • seen them twice once in 03-04 area once in 05. both short sets, both shitty shows. The shtick is real annoying live.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I saw them on the last tour and it was good but by no means great, this time I had a ticket but managed to talk my friend to take his GF instead since I don't like the new record and with that $80 bucks I'm seeing rancid and teh new pornographers instead
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • culot4 wrote:

I do not agree that the RHCP are a better recorded band. I really tried to like Stadium but just found out it verbose. Needed major editing. It would have been a great single album. As for the live work, I agree they have their limitations, the first of which being Keidis. I could listen to Flea and Johnny play all night but Keidis just cant fucking sing. He still has this whole funk/spoken word thing he does that never amounts to carrying a tune. That shit does get old after awhile. But I think the rest of the band kicks ass. Imagine the Chilis backing band with someone like Cornell at the helm and drop the fund shit and just play straight up rock
  • I do not agree that the RHCP are a better recorded band. I really tried to like Stadium but just found out it verbose. Needed major editing. It would have been a great single album. As for the live work, I agree they have their limitations, the first of which being Keidis. I could listen to Flea and Johnny play all night but Keidis just cant fucking sing. He still has this whole funk/spoken word thing he does that never amounts to carrying a tune. That shit does get old after awhile. But I think the rest of the band kicks ass. Imagine the Chilis backing band with someone like Cornell at the helm and drop the fund shit and just play straight up rock

I can imagine. Another boring, unoriginal rock band?

Nobody is as original and unique as the Chili Peppers.