Alter Bridge

livin2fightlivin2fight Posts: 6
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Now I know you guys have a hate for creed around here. but Creed is over with and done. Just because mark played guitar in creed, and scott and brian played drums and bass doesnt mean you should hold your hate for creed against them. Creed is Scott Stapp, he turned Creed into what it became(the negative side of it), and he didnt give the other band memebrs enough credit. Now dont get me wrong, everyone thats an Alter Bridge fan, hates Scott Stapp more than anyone. Beleive me. The other guys from creed, are not like stapp, and they do not play like creed. Sure Open Your Eyes sounds like creed, but thats because they wanted to reunite their creed fans. Just to mention it, i was never a creed fan. But i am a huge Alter Bridge fan(by the way Pearl Jam is in my top 5, i love them and seen them live before), if you dont like the kind of music of creed, listen to songs on their record like, Find the real, metalingus, Watch your words, all heavy metal songs. And songs like Down to my last may "sound" like creed, but Myles Kennedy(the new singer) vocals sour sky high in that song, something Stapp could never do. It's a major improvemenbt from Stapp.

Mark Tremonti- in creed he was a "good" guitarist, creeds style limited him from his potential. Creed broke up, mark kept getting better and better and better. Now he is something amazing, this guy is who most amazes me in this band. He works so hard consistently, his music writing skill is a talent as well, lyurically and musically. Great musician.
Brian Marshall- got kicked out of creed, but is now reunited with the guys, and now doing the kind of music he wanted in the first place. Mark said noone else could fit the spot.
Scott Philips..aka Flip- definatly improved from his creed days. A underrated drummer, leads the charge on in metalingus.
Myles Kennedy- alot to say about this guy. Formerly from the Mayfield Four, amazing vocalist. Definatly better than stapp(and less annoying), he has a very high range and hits the notes with ease. And I've even heard it over the radio, they say he is becoming one of the best Frontment in rock, in his old band he played guitar most of the time. Now without the guitar he gets to dance around on stage. Makes this band what they are, an amazing live band. They keep getting better. Myles can also play guitar for some songs, alowws Mark to solo more when live.

Now before you bash Alter Bridge, have you listened to any other songs than Open Your Eyes? If you havn't you've got to check out, Find the Real, or Metalingus. Thats what this band is about. The next album will be more heavier. Thats what mark ssays.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    actually, Scott Stapp is just an idiot. Wasn't it the Bass Player who dissed Pearl Jam?

A friend of mine loves Alterbridge and swore that if I gave it a listen, that I would love it....so I did listen...and I thought it was mediocre at best....something you'd hear a local bar band playing....nothing to get excited about.

also - LOL @ "More Heavier"
    "It's all happening"
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Great band, I wish PJ was that good. :D
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm with you Livin2fight, I think Alter Bridge are a great band for the genre they are in. I've seen them live four times, and they do put on a really good show. I also got to meet them after a couple of the shows, and they are some of the most genuine and gracious people you could ever hope to meet, they hung around so long after one show, that after about fourty minutes of standing around, getting photos etc we ended up leaving cause there was nothing left to say! And you are dead right about Kennedy, he is technically the finest vocalist I've seen live, he can hit some incredible notes.

I think a lot of people really can't get passed the Creed thing, which I guess is fair enough, they were a hateful band, but in my view Alter Bridge are light years ahead of them. I'm not saying they are Pearl Jam good, but then what band is?! But for modern commercial rock, they are far better than Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd, Staind, 3 Doors Down etc. I would however say that Myles Kennedy's previous band were better, but then he came to Alter Bridge when most of the music and lyrics were already written, so I've no doubt the new record will have more of his imput.

Anyone willing to give them a go should check out Find The Real, the guitar solo is near McCready standards, and the note Kennedy hits at the end is fucking JAW-DROPPING!
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Alter Bridge is terrible.

I was a Creed fan, but I think Alter Bridge is terrible. I hate the new singers voice.

But like livin2fight said, Mark Tremonti guitaring is pretty damn good on the cd. Too bad it was ruined by lame lyrics and a bad voice.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I'm with you Livin2fight, I think Alter Bridge are a great band for the genre they are in. I've seen them live four times, and they do put on a really good show. I also got to meet them after a couple of the shows, and they are some of the most genuine and gracious people you could ever hope to meet, they hung around so long after one show, that after about fourty minutes of standing around, getting photos etc we ended up leaving cause there was nothing left to say! And you are dead right about Kennedy, he is technically the finest vocalist I've seen live, he can hit some incredible notes.

I think a lot of people really can't get passed the Creed thing, which I guess is fair enough, they were a hateful band, but in my view Alter Bridge are light years ahead of them. I'm not saying they are Pearl Jam good, but then what band is?! But for modern commercial rock, they are far better than Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd, Staind, 3 Doors Down etc. I would however say that Myles Kennedy's previous band were better, but then he came to Alter Bridge when most of the music and lyrics were already written, so I've no doubt the new record will have more of his imput.

Anyone willing to give them a go should check out Find The Real, the guitar solo is near McCready standards, and the note Kennedy hits at the end is fucking JAW-DROPPING!

I agree with you, I saw them also live and they were good. They are by far better than Nickelback and the other bands you mention. But I hope they will go furhter with their own sound and forget the Creed sound.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Awful, awful band.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Awful, awful band.
    Would you liek to explain why this band is an awful awful band?

It's not for everyone man, you have to understand the whole Creed thing, some people just can't get past it, no mattter how good Myles Kennedy is, and he really is that good, but what you gonna do?
  • DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    Hey, anything is better then Scott's dull and boring voice(and I really feel sorry for those who have his solo album).
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    alter bridge is awful...just like creed was
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
  • It's not for everyone man, you have to understand the whole Creed thing, some people just can't get past it, no mattter how good Myles Kennedy is, and he really is that good, but what you gonna do?
    Yeah I know, but awful is the wrong word. The guys are talented in what they do. It may not be your kind of sound, that doesnt make it awful it makes it not your taste. But call it awful if you want then i dont care. Their damn good musicians.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    Way too many people on here are sticking up for this pile of shit band lol. ITS CREED! But instead of a wanna-be Eddie Veddar on vocals it is a wanna-be Chris Cornell!! They are a shitty band. Give me a break. One of my music teachers (he is an 18 year old douche bag) made me listen to their cd and it was gay as fuck. Mark is a pretty good guitarist tho...........lol
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • rage333 wrote:
    Way too many people on here are sticking up for this pile of shit band lol. ITS CREED! But instead of a wanna-be Eddie Veddar on vocals it is a wanna-be Chris Cornell!! They are a shitty band. Give me a break. One of my music teachers (he is an 18 year old douche bag) made me listen to their cd and it was gay as fuck. Mark is a pretty good guitarist tho...........lol
    Well ok, they are not creed because, Mark is a good guitarist, hes way beyoind his creed days. And NMyles is not like scott stapp not even close it isnt creed. But alot of people don't like myles voice, so i can understand that i suppose. But jsut becauyse he has a high voice doesnt make him wanan be chriss cornell.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

My reasoning is quite simple. Alter Bridge are an awful band because they write awful songs with awful lyrics. End of story. These guys are nothing more than Creed with a different singer. Same shit, different packaging. Soulless, watered-down, radio-friendly mass produced garbage. I don't care how good they are at their individual instruments, if you can't write a decent song, then you're not worth my time. There's nothing remotely unique or interesting about them, and they're completely indistinguishable from every other shitty band on commercial radio. These bands are basically the modern equivalent of the 80s hair metal scene, and we're all still waiting for somebody to come along and knock them out of existence like Nirvana did in 1991. Popular music happens in cylces, and this current cycle has gone on way too long.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    it doesn't speak much for a band when you spend more time defending them in your first post than talking about their music.

if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's.......a duck.
  • it doesn't speak much for a band when you spend more time defending them in your first post than talking about their music.

if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's.......a duck.
    Because everyone knows they get viewed the wrong way, and they dont get enough recognition. And when i searched for Alter Bridge on the boards, i saw alot of topics and in them people souinded liek they rele hated creed here.
  • I haven't really heard them on the radio, so I'm not going to buy their CD randomly and listen.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• i actually really like their album

:embarrassed:
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • i actually really like their album

:embarrassed:

Me to, they are really good and put on a fab live show.
    Met them at download and they are so nice, Myles got me a backstage pass to get my boyfriend in. He is just so lovely.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    I actually like Alter Bridge too... quite a bit! Creed was actually boring to me, but AB's album has some great songs. Mark Tremonti just shreds throughout the album and the vocalist has an amazing voice. Although I must say some of the lyrics are cheesy, the music and arrangements are just great. Some awesome guitar solos!

It's quite simple why you are getting all these negative replies in this topic. Most people can't just get past Creed. Even if in their next album Alter Bridge somehow reached a Led Zep - inspirational level with almost perfect songs, they wouldn't give them an ounce of recognition. It's just blind hate. Just check the reasons they give: "Alter bridge sucks, cos their songs suck", "cos their lyrics suck", "cos they sound gay"... It's so "cool" to hate anything Creed.

I'm not saying Alter Bridge is the next Led Zep (not even close), but they are a damn good band. Don't try to justify why you like them like in your first post. There's no such thing as guilty pleasures. If you like Alter Bridge, more power to you!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
    caifan82 wrote:
    I actually like Alter Bridge too... quite a bit! Creed was actually boring to me, but AB's album has some great songs. Mark Tremonti just shreds throughout the album and the vocalist has an amazing voice. Although I must say some of the lyrics are cheesy, the music and arrangements are just great. Some awesome guitar solos!

It's quite simple why you are getting all these negative replies in this topic. Most people can't just get past Creed. Even if in their next album Alter Bridge somehow reached a Led Zep - inspirational level with almost perfect songs, they wouldn't give them an ounce of recognition. It's just blind hate. Just check the reasons they give: "Alter bridge sucks, cos their songs suck", "cos their lyrics suck", "cos they sound gay"... It's so "cool" to hate anything Creed.

I'm not saying Alter Bridge is the next Led Zep (not even close), but they are a damn good band. Don't try to justify why you like them like in your first post. There's no such thing as guilty pleasures. If you like Alter Bridge, more power to you!

I totally agree. If people randomly heard a song like Find The Real without knowing who it was, there is no way (I don't care what anybody says) that Creed would be the first band that comes to mind. If anything it sounds more like old-school Alice In Chains with a Cornell-ish vocal. I don't think anybody realistically expects Alter Bridge to be some ground-breaking band, but as far as radio-rock goes, they are one of the better bands out there.
  • right well here we go i fucking love alter bridge's album one day remains!!!

there you go i said it! :D
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • but please

don't get me wrong

pearl jam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> alter bridge.

that is all.
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    They were ok live. Definitely not great as some of you have said, but I've heard worse. As for their albums, again, they are ok...better than Creed because you can't get much worse than Stapp as your vocalist, but nowhere near as good as some people have stated.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Another pompous overblown American rock band...yawn...

Nickelback, Creed, Alterbridge, Staind...

Will never understand how people can listen to theese bands irony-free...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • You may or may like Alter Brige better then Creed. But hands down Scott Stapp is the better singer.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    When Creed was a Christian group (a.k.a. My Own Prison) they actually had something going for them, but when Scott Stapp became a hypocrite and denied all this shit he turned the band into a cock rock band.

There's my 2 cents...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    im agree with you open your eyes was like a hook song for old creed fans, but the real true it´s that the cd has a very diferent direction.........
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    When Creed was a Christian group (a.k.a. My Own Prison) they actually had something going for them, but when Scott Stapp became a hypocrite and denied all this shit he turned the band into a cock rock band.

There's my 2 cents...

they were a christian group when they were trying to "settle a goddamn score?" hmmm...sounds like a hypocrite from the beginning...what is he Southern Baptist?
    "It's all happening"