Best Album Of The Year

spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
edited January 2008 in Other Music
So what is everyone's favorite album of the year? I think I'd have to say Smashing Pumpkins "American Gothic" is the best I've heard overall. It's no Zeitgeist, but it's still better than most of their b-sides. So please share your favorite albums of 2008.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I really enjoy the new Modest Mouse album also NIN's new one.
  • Pumpkins
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Wintersleep- Welcome to the Night Sky.

Nothing else even comes close in my opinion.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Its only been 2008 for less than a week, Zeitgeist was crap by the way.......and thats coming from a once huge Pumpkins fan. I have yet to hear that EP.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Oh, I thought we were still goin by 2007. I forgot it was '08, I have no favorite album yet for this year.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    has to be In Rainbows, Because Of The Times or Icky Thump for me... fucking awesome
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Magic

yet another masterpiece
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Cant see further than KOL because of the times to be honest, my fav KOL album yet. Charmer is fucking amazing!!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Magic

yet another masterpiece

Everytime I hear the opening to Radio Nowhere I think of 867-5309(Jenny)
    stu gee wrote:
    Cant see further than KOL because of the times to be honest, my fav KOL album yet. Charmer is fucking amazing!!!

yeah add KOL to my list.. seen them at the SECC in november and my wife was totally taken by them.. she like them but now she loves them :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah add KOL to my list.. seen them at the SECC in november and my wife was totally taken by them.. she like them but now she loves them :)

I saw them at the secc years ago which i think was their first show in scotland, and saw them at t in the park last year, both times they were excellent. They make what they are doing look so effortless as well. When i first heard On Call on Mtv 2 i knew the new album was going to be a cracker, their sound has changed a wee bit but it all sounds great. Think they are working on a new album now as well.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • In Rainbows by Radiohead
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    stu gee wrote:
    I saw them at the secc years ago which i think was their first show in scotland, and saw them at t in the park last year, both times they were excellent. They make what they are doing look so effortless as well. When i first heard On Call on Mtv 2 i knew the new album was going to be a cracker, their sound has changed a wee bit but it all sounds great. Think they are working on a new album now as well.

yeah my man... saw them 3 times now... eachtime in Glasgow :)

i've loved them ever since their first EP came out and i thought they genuinely were a 70's rock band i'd never heard of and MTV2 were doing songs from the past.. Slow Night So Long with the Ved is a festival highlight from last year :cool:
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    Now It's Overhead - Dark Light Daybreak
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I guess this just goes to show how many people actually read the threads in which they post . . .

Anyway, I haven't purchased any 2008 releases yet, seeing as this is January 5th and all. I may have one or two by the end of the month though.
  • soclose wrote:
    I guess this just goes to show how many people actually read the threads in which they post . . .

Usually when it is less than a week into 2008 and ya see a thread asking about the best album of the year, ya don't tend to think that the person is talking about 2008. Maybe the thread is just pointless.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • macgyver06 wrote:
    Now It's Overhead - Dark Light Daybreak

Fantastic album and band...but this album was released in 2006.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Usually when it is less than a week into 2008 and ya see a thread asking about the best album of the year, ya don't tend to think that the person is talking about 2008. Maybe the thread is just pointless.

I fully agree there isn't much point to this thread, but one of my greatest pet peeves in life (not just the internet world) deals with those who neglect to read carefully.

I also have to say I was somewhat relieved to see that this thread was geared toward 2008. My initial thought when I read the thread title was "Use the search function!!!" At least direwolf74 can rest assured that he/she was the first person to start a best of 2008 thread.;)
  • spnkri wrote:
    So what is everyone's favorite album of the year? I think I'd have to say Smashing Pumpkins "American Gothic" is the best I've heard overall. It's no Zeitgeist, but it's still better than most of their b-sides. So please share your favorite albums of 2008.

Haven't heard of American Gothic, but to say its no Zeitgeist..... I never really "got" that album. It loses me in the guitar playing and drumming, just seems like too much with out a point. Like they were trying too hard. I could give it another try; I haven't played it since the summer.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    The Magnetic Fields - Distortion

(it's fantastic - very Jesus & Marychain)

thanks Tek :)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Am I answering for 2007 or 2008? 2007 is Magic, 2008 is U2.
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    jerve5150 wrote:
    Am I answering for 2007 or 2008? 2007 is Magic, 2008 is U2.

This thread is for 2008. I voted for Smashing Pumpkins in the OP since they actually have had a release this year. But now I'm changing my vote to U2 even though I haven't heard it yet. But surely it's the best.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    It's hard to believe U2 release a record in 2008 ;)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • in rainbows - radiohead

for me this easily the album of the year

neon bible would be 2nd
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D- nine inch nails

more interesting to listen to then the original and adds more depth.
  • I'm willing to bet only 10 people on the board own this cd...What's wrong with you people??? ;)

Ashtray Rock
    by Joel Plaskett and the Emergency

Magic doesn't even come in a close second...
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • As stated in my other thread, I went with:
    1. Sounds of Silver - LCD Soundsystem
    2. M.I.A. - Kala
    3. Young Modern - Silverchair
    I am right by your side...
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    the original post was asking for BEST ALBUMS OF 2008

....so the correct answer is: The Magnetic Fields - Distortion

(although Hayden has a new album out next week - so my vote may change soon)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Its only been 2008 for less than a week, Zeitgeist was crap by the way.......and thats coming from a once huge Pumpkins fan. I have yet to hear that EP.

I wouldn't call it crap, but for me there are only about 3 or 4 good songs on Zeitgeist and the rest are pretty average.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    In Rainbows
    I smile, but who am I kidding...