The Best 5 albums of 2008

Comments

• righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    The raconteurs. That is all. Best album of the last few years IMO.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The Raconteurs - Consolers of The Lonely
    REM - Accelerate
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    however your ability to differentiate between vinyl 'enthusiasts' and supposed CD snobs is somewhat contradictory.
    No it's not. Vinyl records are an analogue format, CDs are digital. So are MP3s. My point is, I can see the attachment to vinyl because of the charm, the big sleeves, the warmer sound, the big hefty chunk of plastic that feel like value for money. As much as I like to have a physical copy of an album on CD for the art, liner notes etc, I don't consider MP3s to be an inferior format for the actual music, unlike a great deal of people, and I don't mean you obviously. Maybe it's just because I listen to a lot of lo-fi music but, though I can perhaps notice the difference between a lossless recording and a really low quality mp3, commercial releases on MP3 such as In Rainbows are fine and I don't really care that much about any apparent loss of fidelity. The music is still there.

As for the fact that you didn't get hold of In Rainbows until this year, I didn't get my copy of A Love Supreme by John Coltrane until last year. I assure you it was released in 1965, not 2007 :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No it's not. Vinyl records are an analogue format, CDs are digital. So are MP3s. My point is, I can see the attachment to vinyl because of the charm, the big sleeves, the warmer sound, the big hefty chunk of plastic that feel like value for money. As much as I like to have a physical copy of an album on CD for the art, liner notes etc, I don't consider MP3s to be an inferior format for the actual music, unlike a great deal of people, and I don't mean you obviously. Maybe it's just because I listen to a lot of lo-fi music but, though I can perhaps notice the difference between a lossless recording and a really low quality mp3, commercial releases on MP3 such as In Rainbows are fine and I don't really care that much about any apparent loss of fidelity. The music is still there.

As for the fact that you didn't get hold of In Rainbows until this year, I didn't get my copy of A Love Supreme by John Coltrane until last year. I assure you it was released in 1965, not 2007 :)

yes but had you been alive and capable in 1965 you could have walked into a store, somewhere and bought it, yeah?

anyhoo this is of no consequence cause i will always maintain that in rainbows is MY album of 2008. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yes but had you been alive and capable in 1965 you could have walked into a store, somewhere and bought it, yeah?

anyhoo this is of no consequence cause i will always maintain that in rainbows is MY album of 2008. :p:D
    I see what you are saying BUT, I was incapable of buying it until last year when I finally got a job and could afford to buy stuff so really, it only came to be as a potential acquisition in 2007 and therefore, is in my opinion and by your reckoning, easily the best album of 2007 ;)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I see what you are saying BUT, I was incapable of buying it until last year when I finally got a job and could afford to buy stuff so really, it only came to be as a potential acquisition in 2007 and therefore, is in my opinion and by your reckoning, easily the best album of 2007 ;)

no buts. youre splitting too fine a hair. and that reckoning is your own not mine. my point in this little 'argument' is A Love Supreme was available in stores, in rainbows was not. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    no buts. youre splitting too fine a hair. and that reckoning is your own not mine. my point in this little 'argument' is A Love Supreme was available in stores, in rainbows was not. :p
    Yeah but In Rainbows was available to you in 2007 if you had the means (the ability to download) is what I'm saying :) Splitting hairs or not, I'm right :D
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yeah but In Rainbows was available to you in 2007 if you had the means (the ability to download) is what I'm saying : ) Splitting hairs or not, I'm right : D

sure you are. ;):p:D

did i mention in rainbows is MY album of 2008? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Christ, you're touchy. All I was seeking to do here is the same as you did, correcting someone about the release year of an album.
    I don't mind the "correction"; I do mind the ill-founded assumption of my "snobery".
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    dharma69 wrote:
    I don't mind the "correction"; I do mind the ill-founded assumption of my "snobery".
    Please accept my apologies, and also see the conversation with Cate. My argument is meant in a good-natured way, not to be an asshole :)
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    It's not a big deal one way or another, but technically, "In Rainbows" was released in 2007 on CD format even though it wasn't available in stores unti January. If I remember correctly, it was shipped out in late November or early December as a 2 CDs and vinyl albums. But regardless, it was still available as a download on October 10.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I have a Best of 2008 playlist on my iPod......it has 52 albums in it - I tried to narrow it down to 5 for this thread, but I just couldnt do it (it's been a pretty damn stellar year so far)

......a few that haven't been mentioned already that I am quite partial to are:

the Magnetic Fields - Distortion
    Hayden - In Field and Town
    Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
    Spiritualized - Songs In A&E
    Mike Patton - A Perfect Place
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts
    Constantines - Kensington Heights
    Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
    Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
    Jason Collett - Heres To Being Here
    Sloan - Parallel Play
    Secret Chiefs 3 - Xaphan: Book of Angels Vol. 9
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue
    Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash
    Tapes n Tapes - Walk It Off
    Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster....
    Man Man - Rabbit Habbits
    Animal Collective - Water Curses
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Please accept my apologies, and also see the conversation with Cate. My argument is meant in a good-natured way, not to be an asshole :)
    No worries and my apologies for being touchy. If I have to replace "In Rainbows" then I'll go with The Raconteurs' "Consolers of the Lonely" since it's such solid noise.

I'm almost tempted to replace it with Coldplay's "La Vida" whatever it is because "Violet Hill" is the first Coldplay song that I actually like and if any other songs sound like that, I'll probably love a Coldplay album for the very first time.

FaceSpace
    Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer They released another album? How'd I miss that?

Spiritualized - Songs In A&E I meant to get that.

Constantines - Kensington Heights Meant to get that one, too.

FaceSpace
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    dharma69 wrote:
    Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer They released another album? How'd I miss that?

Spiritualized - Songs In A&E I meant to get that.

Constantines - Kensington Heights Meant to get that one, too.

Wolf Parade's official release date is June 17th....so you havent actually missed anything yet
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Counting Crows
    Raconteurs
    The Notwist
    Elbow
    Nick cave & The Bad Seeds
  • PJ_PhilPJ_Phil Posts: 84
    No Particular Order:

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
    The Whigs - Mission Control
    The Black Keys - Attack and Release
    REM - Accelerate
    The Raconteurs - Consolers of the lonely
    Shows:

Montreal 2003
    Boston (1&2) 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Halifax 2005
    Boston (1&2) 2006
    Hartford 2008
    Mansfield (1&2)2008
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    4 so far:

Kathleen Edwards ~ Asking for Flowers
    She & Him ~ Volume 1
    Drive-By Truckers ~ Brighter than Creations Dark
    Cat Power ~ Jukebox
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The Gutter Twins
    Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell
    Drive By Truckers

The only new titles I've bought this year so far.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I think the thread is about albums released in 2008 :)

Anyway, mine are:

Autechre - Quaristice
    A Silver Mt Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
    Sun Kil Moon - April
    Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward
    Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head

I must have been tired cus I misread it as 'Albums kicking your arse in 2008'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    1. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
    2. The Black Keys - Attack & Release
    3. Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngsters
    4. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    5. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    6. What Made Milwaukee Famous - What Doesn’t Kill Us
    7. The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
    8. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
    9. Sun Kil Moon - April
    10. The Matches - A Band in Hope

I HIGHLY suggest that everyone checks out The Midnight Organ Fight. It's an absolutely gorgeous record with some amazing lyrics and emotion. It crushes me nearly every time I listen to it. You can tell that the lead singer went through some rough relationship stuff.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Blind Melon - For My Friends
    Black Keys - Attack and Release
    North Mississippi All Stars - Hernando
    Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath

Runners up include:
    Black Crowes - Warpaint
    Gnarls Barkley - Odd Couple
    Eric Avery - Help Wanted
    Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I HIGHLY suggest that everyone checks out The Midnight Organ Fight. It's an absolutely gorgeous record with some amazing lyrics and emotion. It crushes me nearly every time I listen to it. You can tell that the lead singer went through some rough relationship stuff.
    Just downloaded it. WOW, Modern Leper is a great track.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    So far the only 2 that have grabbed me are:

1. Attack and Release - Black Keys
    2. Consolers of the Lonely - Raconteurs

I haven't gotten Evil Urges yet and I'm holding out high hopes for Weezer in June.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    1. Born Ruffians - Red Yellow and Blue
    2. Flobots - Fight With Tools
    3. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    4. Hot Chip - Made in The Dark
    5. Why? - Alopecia

WOW already a great year for music...
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    fowls wrote:
    Just downloaded it. WOW, Modern Leper is a great track.

Modern Leper is one of my faves. It kicks the record off right.

I hope you enjoy it - my favorite track is "Floating in the Forth" - but it's really all great stuff, IMO.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    The Top 5:

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw
    Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Cipher
    Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

Honorable Mention:

R.E.M. - Accelerate
    Keith Caputo - A Fondness For Hometown Scars
    James - Hey Ma
    Flogging Molly - Float
    DeVotchKa - A Mad & Faithful Telling
    City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
    The Black Crowes - Warpaint
    Nada Surf - Lucky
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    1. Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    2. Raconteours - Consolers of the Lonely
    3. Atmosphere - When Life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold.
    4. Vampire Weekend - S/T
    5. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
    NERDS!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Death Cab for Cutie- Narrow Stairs
    Flogging Molly- Float
    Thrice- Alchemy Index, Volumes III & IV: Air and Earth
    Flight of the Conchords- Flight of the Conchords
    Los Campesinos!- Hold on Now, Youngster

I am in the process of checking out a number of the albums that have been listed here. As always, thanks to those who draw attention to lesser known bands and albums.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Portishead - Third
    Black Francis - Svn Fngrs
    Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
    Kubus & Bang Bang - Pie & Mash