I am addicted to Jonny Cash's 'Hurt'

Comments

• audiodave wrote:
    Well, the only NIN i've ever heard played on the radio is from [With_Teeth]. I think it is a far more commercial album. The Hand That Feeds, Only, Every Day I Exactly The Same are all "radio friendly" singles, and a lot of the other songs from the album could be called "radio friendly", such as All The Love In The World, Getting Smaller, Right Where It Belongs.

I don't really think March Of The Pigs is very "radio friendly", nor are the likes of Mr Self Destruct, Heresy, Ruiner, The Becomming, I Do Not Want This, Big Man With A Gun, Eraser...

What makes something "comercial" for you? Don't FYI me, as it's just your opinion. Mine happens to differ.

Fair enough.

And DriftingByTheStorm...are you in America?

Back to the original point of the thread...i've never taken to Cash's cover, and very much prefer the original.

WELL SAID
  • audiodave wrote:
    Well, the only NIN i've ever heard played on the radio is from [With_Teeth]. I think it is a far more commercial album. The Hand That Feeds, Only, Every Day I Exactly The Same are all "radio friendly" singles, and a lot of the other songs from the album could be called "radio friendly", such as All The Love In The World, Getting Smaller, Right Where It Belongs.

I don't really think March Of The Pigs is very "radio friendly", nor are the likes of Mr Self Destruct, Heresy, Ruiner, The Becomming, I Do Not Want This, Big Man With A Gun, Eraser...

What makes something "comercial" for you? Don't FYI me, as it's just your opinion. Mine happens to differ.

Fair enough.

And DriftingByTheStorm...are you in America?

Back to the original point of the thread...i've never taken to Cash's cover, and very much prefer the original.

FYI.
    If you were alive and conscious during the EARLY TO MID 1990s, you would understand EVERY WORD I SAID.

Just FYI.

Not to be a dick, just FYI.

:D

FYI - Yes, i am in Amerika.
    FYI - No, With Teeth is not more commercial than Downward Spiral was.
    Downward Spiral was THE PEAK of Trents popularity, whether you were old enough to remember that or not.
    FYI.

PS - the "The only NIN i've ever heard on the radio is from With Teeth" comment tells me how YOUNG you are, and that you don't understand what i'm saying with regards to Trent and the early\mid '90s, anyhow -- FYI.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Jingle bells Batman smells.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    FYI.
    If you were alive and conscious during the EARLY TO MID 1990s, you would understand EVERY WORD I SAID.

Just FYI.

Not to be a dick, just FYI.

FYI - Yes, i am in Amerika.
    FYI - No, With Teeth is not more commercial than Downward Spiral was.
    Downward Spiral was THE PEAK of Trents popularity, whether you were old enough to remember that or not.
    FYI.

PS - the "The only NIN i've ever heard on the radio is from With Teeth" comment tells me how YOUNG you are, and that you don't understand what i'm saying with regards to Trent and the early\mid '90s, anyhow -- FYI.
    Well done to you for having to patronise and ridicule to get your point across. I applaud you.

Merry fucking Christmas.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Well done for you for having to patronise and ridicule to get your point across. I applaud you.

Merry fucking Christmas.

Well.
    As long as i got my point across.
    Ho, fucking Ho Ho HO. [although, technicaly i'm a non-practicing jew]

• im usually behind on these things but is this international FYI day?
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    zircona1 wrote:
    Rusty Cage

Thanks!
    Well.
    As long as i got my point across.
    Ho, fucking Ho Ho HO. [although, technicaly i'm a non-practicing jew]

I got your point the first time. I just didn't happen to agree.

FYFI.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• audiodave wrote:
    I got your point the first time. I just didn't happen to agree.

FYFI.

probably because you weren't but a wee laddy in the early 90's, yes?

"Well, the only NIN i've ever heard played on the radio is from [With_Teeth]", was the quote that tipped me off.
    EVERYONE, including my MOTHER, heard Closer on the radio OVER and OVER and OVER ... from 1994 up until about 1998, when they started playing Creed instead.
    So.
    It wasn't really meant as disrespect, per SE.

Only to say, if you weren't old enough to remember just how huge and influential Downward Spiral was, you really can't step up and say With Teeth is MORE commercial, since you don't seem to have memory long enough to base that claim on.

Got it?
    probably because you weren't but a wee laddy in the early 90's, yes?

"Well, the only NIN i've ever heard played on the radio is from [With_Teeth]", was the quote that tipped me off.
    EVERYONE, including my MOTHER, heard Closer on the radio OVER and OVER and OVER ... from 1994 up until about 1998, when they started playing Creed instead.
    So.
    It wasn't really meant as disrespect, per SE.

Only to say, if you weren't old enough to remember just how huge and influential Downward Spiral was, you really can't step up and say With Teeth is MORE commercial, since you don't seem to have memory long enough to base that claim on.

Got it?

Yes. I got that one as well. But you don't have to be so fucking patronising about it.

And MY point was, asking whether you live in the USA, if you ask people in this country who were old enough to remember (as apparantly I wasn't, but I remember just fine), they wouldn't know what the fuck you were talking about.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    Yes. I got that one as well. But you don't have to be so fucking patronising about it.

And MY point was, asking whether you live in the USA, if you ask people in this country who were old enough to remember (as apparantly I wasn't, but I remember just fine), they wouldn't know what the fuck you were talking about.

Hmm.. good point. :cool:
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    :o Well....
    I just like the cover version.
    I'm not sure it should be the cause of WW3 tho
    Chill out people, everyones entitled to their opinion. :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • :o Well....

It's an amazing cover.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

:o Well....
    Well apparantly, my opinion is wrong. FYI. :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    Well apparantly, my opinion is wrong. FYI. :p

FYI.... Opinions are like assholes. Bla bla bla bla bla bla.

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    So why is everyone argueing here? It's a great song, the whole album is great..'In my Life' is also wonderful on it.
    And FYI, I'm not keen on NIN, I saw them in 1991 supporting Guns and Roses, I sat bemused...I thought they'd mic'ed up some builders back stage at Wembley stadium...sorry for being such a philistine.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    So why is everyone argueing here? It's a great song, the whole album is great..'In my Life' is also wonderful on it.
    And FYI, I'm not keen on NIN, I saw them in 1991 supporting Guns and Roses, I sat bemused...I thought they'd mic'ed up some builders back stage at Wembley stadium...sorry for being such a philistine.

'Mic'ed up some builders?' LOL sounds like a good description of Industrial music.

FYI.

• Tell you what, I'll just bugger off and quit the forum. I guess there isn't room for 2 village idiots.

sounds good to me but you and I just two of many village idiots around here. like a book..amongst..the many on the shelf.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • sounds good to me but you and I just two of many village idiots around here. like a book..amongst..the many on the shelf.

Touche.

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I like NIN version more
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    'Mic'ed up some builders?' LOL sounds like a good description of Industrial music.

FYI.

Heh. Trent's a builder alright. Of an interesting universe of sound. I *really hope* people are checking out http://remix.nin.com I've mentioned it a couple of times, but don't know if anyone's spending time there. It is really cool. He has released INSTRUMENTAL versions of TDS songs. I am serious. (Wouldn't you like to hear vocal stripped off of The Becoming? off MOTP?) And you can download 'em for free. You can download any remix of any of the songs there. People are posting remixes of everything. You can upload remixes yourself for people to listen to and rate.

On topic though, while Cash does a good job with Hurt, NIN Hurt will always be my favorite.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Three pages in and I'm still trying to figure out who the fuck "Jonny Cash" is. Is that Johnny's derelict cousin? ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Three pages in and I'm still trying to figure out who the fuck "Jonny Cash" is. Is that Johnny's derelict cousin? ;)

http://www.intsos.no/images2/2729_johnny_cash_finger.jpg

:p
  • mookie9999 wrote:

Oh, come on... JoHnny Cash...

But who the fuck is that Douche9999? :D

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Cash's version is great. I find a lot of his covers to be hit and miss though. When they work, they work but sometimes they fall flat, like Rusty Cage or Further On Up The Road.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Oh, come on... JoHnny Cash...

But who the fuck is that Douche9999? :D

No shit! Someone needs to ban his sorry ass!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    No shit! Someone needs to ban his sorry ass!

• This might be the saddest song I've ever heard.

Amazing.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Cash's version was on a college radio station I listen to today, and I thought of this discussion and realized I liked it better than I remembered. TR's is still no.1 though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    i've been there too...