I am addicted to Jonny Cash's 'Hurt'

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Just wow..... just wow.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    one of my favourite covers of all time

the video is so sad
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Possibly THE greatest cover version EVER

I challenge anyone to do it better
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Agreed.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I'll be honest.
    I was bored to tears by it.

I think Cash is a legend.
    But, to borrow from Rolling Stone when they ripped Manson on Sweet Dreams (before they fell in love with him), i found it to be a "unncessary and self-indulgent cover".

The idea of Cash even covering bands like NIN and Soundgarden struck me funny to begin with. Slowing down an already slow nails song just never did much for me.

The fact that such a loner would choose songs that were the most popular mainstream hits for these two "alternative" bands also never sat well with me.

But to each his own.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • there should be a forum specifically for the hundreds of threads started by harmless_little_f*** and pjoasisrule
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

wow. that video is awesome. it is so reflective when they show the scenes of his life, you know?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • there should be a forum specifically for the hundreds of threads started by harmless_little_f*** and pjoasisrule

When you can tell me what's wrong with starting a lot of threads, then you can talk... Tell you what, I'll just bugger off and quit the forum. I guess there isn't room for 2 village idiots.

• pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    What song did he cover from soundgarden??
  • Love this cover, just love it.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    pouch15 wrote:
    What song did he cover from soundgarden??

Rusty Cage
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    zircona1 wrote:
    Rusty Cage
    sucks!!!
    I liked his cover of the beatles "in my life"
  • zircona1 wrote:
    Rusty Cage

It is excellent though.... *waits to get slaughtered*

• jonny cash is a legend! no one can deny he was awesome! hurt is my fav. though it makes me cry!!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    great cover but I will always contend that the original is better. When I saw it live I nearly cried. I think Trent actually did, as did the guy next to me.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • jonny cash is a legend! no one can deny he was awesome! hurt is my fav. though it makes me cry!!

I dunno.
    Saying "Johnny Cash is a legend" followed with "Hurt is my favorite" kind've discounts the statement.

Kinda like "Pearl Jam is a Legend, Last Kiss is my favorite. It makes me cry."

???

Hurt was the most commercial radio friendly song on NINs most commercial, radio-friendly album.

Why would you guys want to leave that as Cash's be-all-end-all?

I'm not arguing against commercial success or pretty songs. It just struck me as a bit of a cover based on cash-merit, and not artistic integrity.

Besides, it would have been more redeemable, imho, if Cash had taken a HARD nails song and slowed it down. NOT a SLOW song and slowing it down even further.

Hell, why didn't he take Gave Up or Wish, or ???
    :D:D:D
  • Why would you guys want to leave that as Cash's be-all-end-all?

Hey dude don't paint us all with the same brush. My favourite cash song is 'A Boy Named Sue' or 'Man in Black'. The only person who's doing what you're suggesting is the girl you replied to.

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I dunno.
    Hurt was the most commercial radio friendly song on NINs most commercial, radio-friendly album.
    How in the hell is The Downward Spiral radio friendly? :confused:
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Hey dude don't paint us all with the same brush. My favourite cash song is 'A Boy Named Sue' or 'Man in Black'. The only person who's doing what you're suggesting is the girl you replied to.

Tiss the season to be jolly, tra, la, la la, la :o
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• poo sticks. its his most moving, put it this way, its the only song he's done thats moved me to tears! so i stick by that. be it if im 'wrong' in the eyes of others.
  • audiodave wrote:

The radio liked it?

• Tiss the season to be jolly, tra, la, la la, la :o

LOL

Breathe.... breathe... breathe...

• audiodave wrote:

Hurt, March Of The Pigs, CLOSER, (to a lesser extent Reptile).

Find me ANY nin album with more radio songs.

I didn't say it WAS radio friendly, i said it was the MOST radio friendly.

As in, if ever there was an album they (he) made.
    And FYI, Downward Sprial 100% WAS their most commercial album, "radio friendly" or not.
    It was THE album that put them squarely in the mainstream. When alternative became mainstream for about 3 years. :D

And, though Closer got more radio play, Hurt was the one all the girls would yell and giggle over ... "OH i just LOVE nin\trent and HURT" ... "oh HURT is so beautiful" ... blah blah blah ... i can't tell you how many wanna be fuckin' goth girls drooled over that song when i was in High School.

That is one of the big reasons i have trouble giving Cash any credit for covering it.
  • LOL

Breathe.... breathe... breathe...

Thats more like it. we can all be friends.

• audiodave wrote:

Alternative radio I presume, not like pop radio.

• youve got issues.

esp with girls.
  • Alternative radio I presume, not like pop radio.

Yeah.
    I don't really understand what the question is.
    If you were alive and conscious during the early-mid 90's, and near any big city that wasn't ultra-conservative, you heard Closer and Hurt on the radio ad naseum ... and you would hear March Of The Pigs every so often as well ...

You CERTAINLY saw all three on MTV over and over and over again. I wanted to beat the shit out of that fucking monkey on the closer video i got so damn sick of seeing that fucking song.
  • Yeah.
    I don't really understand what the question is.
    If you were alive and conscious during the early-mid 90's, and near any big city that wasn't ultra-conservative, you heard Closer and Hurt on the radio ad naseum ... and you would hear March Of The Pigs every so often as well ...

You CERTAINLY saw all three on MTV over and over and over again. I wanted to beat the shit out of that fucking monkey on the closer video i got so damn sick of seeing that fucking song.

LOL

But you have to admit.. March of the Pigs DOES fucking OWN..

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Hurt, March Of The Pigs, CLOSER, (to a lesser extent Reptile).

Find me ANY nin album with more radio songs.

I didn't say it WAS radio friendly, i said it was the MOST radio friendly.

As in, if ever there was an album they (he) made.
    And FYI, Downward Sprial 100% WAS their most commercial album, "radio friendly" or not.
    It was THE album that put them squarely in the mainstream. When alternative became mainstream for about 3 years. :D

And, though Closer got more radio play, Hurt was the one all the girls would yell and giggle over ... "OH i just LOVE nin and HURT" ... "oh HURT is so beautiful" ... blah blah blah ... i can't tell you how many wanna be fuckin' goth girls drooled over that song when i was in High School.

That is one of the big reasons i have trouble giving Cash any credit for covering it.
    Well, the only NIN i've ever heard played on the radio is from [With_Teeth]. I think it is a far more commercial album. The Hand That Feeds, Only, Every Day I Exactly The Same are all "radio friendly" singles, and a lot of the other songs from the album could be called "radio friendly", such as All The Love In The World, Getting Smaller, Right Where It Belongs.

I don't really think March Of The Pigs is very "radio friendly", nor are the likes of Mr Self Destruct, Heresy, Ruiner, The Becomming, I Do Not Want This, Big Man With A Gun, Eraser...

What makes something "comercial" for you? Don't FYI me, as it's just your opinion. Mine happens to differ.
    Alternative radio I presume, not like pop radio.

Fair enough.

And DriftingByTheStorm...are you in America?

Back to the original point of the thread...i've never taken to Cash's cover, and very much prefer the original.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Don't FYI me, as it's just your opinion. Mine happens to differ.

LOL..

'Don't FYI me.' Nice.