Is the new Foo Fighters any good?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I think they're OK; not dreadfully exciting, but I liked the latest single.

The only album of theirs I love is The Colour and the Shape.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it's good... go get it
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yes, Echoes... is one of their better records. It's really good and very impressive. It has a few slow tracks, and an instrumental track (that is beautiful) dedicated to miners who got trapped for like 3 days in I think Australia.
    It's got some fast tunes too that rock out and go back to the feel of the self titled disc.

This album is easily one of the best by the Foos, but also one of the best for 2007 so far.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • yup
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • If you like derivative pop-rock, then yes, it's good.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Yes, its good... very good.

I didnt know i was a fan of derivative pop-rock, but apparently so. ;)
  • If you like derivative pop-rock, then yes, it's good.

Yes it's good. Period. Music snobs suck. "Oh look at me, I like some artsy fartsy indie band no one has ever heard of."
  • it's not bad...i think it's been a little overrated. basically like all their albums, good but not great.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    worth a purchase.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'm a fan, not huge, but I like their stuff. I think it's a pretty good album, better than I expected actually. Worth a purchase.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Excellent album. Definitely worth buying.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Yeh its a really good album, their best since " The Colour and the Shape " in my opinion.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • great album go get it
  • I think they're OK; not dreadfully exciting, but I liked the latest single.

The only album of theirs I love is The Colour and the Shape.

I agree with you in that I think The Colour and the Shape is the only truly GREAT Foo Fighters record. Self titled was pretty cool and There Is Nothing Left To Lose had a couple good songs, but they've never been a great band, IMO. With that being said, though, Echoes reminds me most of Colour and the Shape, and I think it's a very solid effort on their part. I've found myself listening to it more than I have when other Foo Fighters albums have come out.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Their best album in a decade, and it also sees them starting to explore other styles - I highly recommend it.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Is it catchy? Yes
    Will you still be listening to it in 6 months? Probably not.

It's pretty middle of the road. The production is great, but that's presumably more down to Gil Norton than the skills of the band. It's not as bad as the last 2 albums, but Grohl still seems to be learning the art of writing acoustic songs.

I'd say it's worth a download, but personally I wouldn't buy it.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • It's worth buying for the blood-curdling scream at the end of Let It Die, alone. Let alone the rather brilliant Come Alive and Statues.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    It's worth buying for the blood-curdling scream at the end of Let It Die, alone.

Thats my fav part too. Best Grohl scream ever.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Do you like sliced bread? This record is better than that :)

Don't listen to these snobs on here. It is a fantastic album and very much worth purchasing. Some people still say that color and the shape is the best album by them, but I honestly think this is their best record. I love EVERY song, which is something I've never been able to say about one of their records before.It is very solid all the way through... Buy it!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Yes it's good. Period. Music snobs suck. "Oh look at me, I like some artsy fartsy indie band no one has ever heard of."

Music snob? Ok, someone asked a question and I gave my answer which is also my opinion. I'm sorry to offend all you Foo fans. Really. I am. Believe or not, some people may like something which you don't. Period.
  • yield2me wrote:
    Do you like sliced bread? This record is better than that :)

Don't listen to these snobs on here. It is a fantastic album and very much worth purchasing. Some people still say that color and the shape is the best album by them, but I honestly think this is their best record. I love EVERY song, which is something I've never been able to say about one of their records before.It is very solid all the way through... Buy it!

I totally agree. I love TCATS, but quite honestly this is a better written and more varied record. Before this record I always preferred Dave when he was just plain rocking out, I was always left cold by his more emotional stuff, but you can tell he's really invested a lot of himself in this record.

Oh and to the guy who said he still couldn't write a decent acoustic song, Stranger Things Have Happend, is absolute proof that he can. The guitars are great, and the melody is catchy and memorable.

As much as I've always been a fan of the Foos (seen them around 15 times live over the years), I always felt like they were just a bit of a fun time party kind of band, but this album has really impressed me, and just seems to have more depth than I'm used to expecting from this band.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Oh and to the guy who said he still couldn't write a decent acoustic song, Stranger Things Have Happend, is absolute proof that he can. The guitars are great, and the melody is catchy and memorable.
    I said he's still learning, not that he sucked. Grohl occassionally writes great acoustic songs, like Ain't It The Life and Stranger Things Have Happened, but he's far from consistant (as the acoustic CD on In Your Honour showed).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Music snob? Ok, someone asked a question and I gave my answer which is also my opinion. I'm sorry to offend all you Foo fans. Really. I am. Believe or not, some people may like something which you don't. Period.

Dude you gave a sour response that offered no real insight, and got a sour reply, wtf did you expect? Suck it up.
  • Dude you gave a sour response that offered no real insight, and got a sour reply, wtf did you expect? Suck it up.

Sour? I said it's good for a "derivative pop rock record". Didn't know that was sour. I could have said something much worse.
  • Sour? I said it's good for a "derivative pop rock record". Didn't know that was sour. I could have said something much worse.

That you could, but "derivative pop rock record" is hardly a compliment now is it? As far as the Foo Fighters go, this is probably their most varied album, and the one in which they have experimented most. Are you a fan of any of their stuff? Would you have preferred more generic pop like Learn To Fly, Monkey Wrench or DOA? Personally I way prefer something like the epic Come To Life or piano lead Statues, these are new styles for the Foos, and I think they work very well.
  • That you could, but "derivative pop rock record" is hardly a compliment now is it?

Well the title of the thread isn't "Compliment the New Foos record!" is it? It's
    "Is the new Foos any good?" and I gave my opinion.
  • Well the title of the thread isn't "Compliment the New Foos record!" is it? It's

I think the person was looking for something vaguely more descriptive though...but whatever....
  • Well the title of the thread isn't "Compliment the New Foos record!" is it? It's

I bet you haven't even gave it a chance, probably busy listening to Clap Your Hands Say Yea or Sufjan Stevens
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    I bet you haven't even gave it a chance, probably busy listening to Clap Your Hands Say Yea or Sufjan Stevens

Haha. Nope, I've listened to it, just didn't strike me. Also, I hate both bands(well one is a dude) you just listed.
  • Haha. Nope, I've listened to it, just didn't strike me. Also, I hate both bands(well one is a dude) you just listed.

Well who do you like?
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Well who do you like?

This year some of my top records include...

QOTSA - Era Vulgaris
    Spoon - Gagagagagaggagaga
    Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Se Dice Bisoniste, No Bufalo