Slam away, but Spin Doctors are better funk rock than...

2»

Comments

• I've seen them twice and walked away impressed twice. The first time I was impressed with the energy Kiedis brought and the fact that he stayed on key the whole night. The second time I was impressed that the rest of the band were so tight even when Kiedis couldn't sing or move around. Eventually Kiedis left the stage and a few of the members of Mars Volta came on stage with John, Flea, and Chad and had a half hour long jam.

Edit: On topic: The Chili Peppers were better at funk rock than the Spin Doctors when the Chili Peppers were doing funk rock in the 80s. That's not their game anymore and judging the Chili Peppers based on an music that has come out in the 90s or 00s isn't really relevant.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I've only seen RHCP once and was not impressed. although they did have to follow the mars volta, which is not an easy task. Anyways, Frusciante was an amazing guitarist, I don't think there are many who will argue with that, but other than a few standout performances by him, the entire concert was just pretty blah. I'd say worst I've been to, but granted it was recently, and not when they were in their prime.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • I still haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Everyone of your opinion has just said 'Wtf dude?' Like I'm supposed to go 'Oh yeah, I forgot.. wtf? Of course RHCP are better!' Give me some evidence that

1) RHCP play funk better than SD's
    2) RHCP are better musicians than SD's
    3) RHCP write more complex songs and arrangements than SD's

And then we can start the discussion. Albums sales, critical acclaim and popularity have nothing to do with this.
    ok how 'bout these apples. I'm going to assume you don't know shit about the chili's to make such a ludicrous post so here goes.
    A few basics: 1. Flea is one of the most respected bass players out there period.Who the fuck plays bass for the spin doctors? Although the chili's aren't really a funk band, go listen to some early era shows and you can stop listening to two princes.
    and 2. The chili peppers have worked with george clinton. You can't get much funkier than that.
    As for musical examples i see that jeremy 1012 has enlightened you.
    enough?
  • jamie uk wrote:
    But that's mostly to do with John's guitar playing, which is quite wonderful.

One of the best out there in my opinion.

Its just become very cool to knock the Chilis, but John, Flea and Chad are in a league of their own......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton